Best Prime Ministers since the Second World War

I think Blair and particularly Brown will be held in higher regard in the future than they are now.

Maybe Blair because he was PM for so long, but I think many will remember the needless loss of lives because of him. As for Brown I can't imagine him being thought of him in high regard. I’m sure Blair realised he was best out of it, and handed Brown the poisoned chalice that was much coveted by him.
Not many short term prime ministers get remembered well. Douglas Home, Callaghan and Brown amongst those I think will be forgotten.Eden too

My reasoning for Brown is that pretty much everything he did with regards to the financial crisis was right. Can't be bothered to get the figures but I'm pretty sure we were out of recession and growth was fairly decent before he left and Dave took over.

He might be more remembered for his attack on pension funds when he was chancellor, to the union leaders delight, but to the horror of the pension holders

Boris Johnson being made PM would be Labour's best chance of getting back in. As long as Cordustbin does one.??

Harold Wilson was a cunning old fox. A serial manipulator if there was one.
A right shower we have at the moment. May calls an election when she doesn’t need to and loses her majority. Corbyn cohabits with dubious people and of course Cable....too old and not taken seriously. Nobody has prime ministerial charisma.

I wonder what sort of policies (apart from remain or leave) that new independant party will have?

Boris Johnson being made PM would be Labour's best chance of getting back in. As long as Cordustbin does one.??

Get Yvette Cooper in as leader and Labour would have a chance as she'd run rings around May or the Tory alternatives. The double whammy of her getting the job would be that it would wind up the nutters in Momentum.

Here is a league table to consider.

Number of coal mines closed between 1964 & 1990 was 368

Labour Government: 253 (Harold Wilson)

Conservative Government : 115 (Margaret Thatcher)

Statistics can look different if you consider the percentage terms. Thatcher virtually closed all the coal mines that were left. Arguably they were in continual decline from the early sixties.
What was fundamentally wrong was that there was no regeneration project put in place to help,the communities affected so badly.

Back
Top Bottom