General Best place to live in Oxfordshire?

A bit small manor my nephew is buying there and the rooms are a bit small
We can compare notes then! Just the two of us and we are determined to de-clutter before moving but, yes, size will be a factor.
I think the traffic issues will be less of an issue unless, of course, it's a match day!

I work 6 miles from Abingdon @bazzer9461 and should take no more than 20 minutes.
when the A34 has crashes like that, it can take up to 1 1/2 hours!!!
doesn't matter which way I go, the whole area goes into chaos.
if I didn't have to lug my gardening tools around with me I'd get a bike
I know what you mean @AbbeyOx I moved to Steventon in February 2014 left Wootton at 9.30 with the first of two removals and when we got to about from the twin roundabouts right up to steventon the traffic was stopped, going back to Wootton via the A338 through Garfield as the traffic was a mare took just over 3 hours

We can compare notes then! Just the two of us and we are determined to de-clutter before moving but, yes, size will be a factor.
I think the traffic issues will be less of an issue unless, of course, it's a match day!
Well you can go the back way I always do through Culham, Clifton Hampden and Nuneham Courtney

Always go that way don’t risk the A34
Pure coincidence but, that's the way we are going!
I think we may be moving this way too! Not settled as yet but we liked what we saw. Price will be a factor and that will be known in a few weekswhen they start the build.

Having had a lot of experience moving in the past, and living abroad for three years, we will de clutter. I want to give a settee, bed, unit away and sell a few antiques. That will cut moving costs down. A survey can be good for peace of mind, but if you find a house where it’s been done in the last two years, sight of the survey should be enough. It’s only mortgage companies that insist on valuation for their protection.
I‘m personally interested in buying a house with low maintenance...small garden, ideally a garden.
Definitely area is important. Always had a garage but it probably doesn’t matter.

The best place to live is Amersham. When we win, no-one talks about automatic promotion and feels totally upset if we lose. When we do lose, no-one complains about KR being a t**t or whatever. The reason is................my lot here are the only C***s who support Oxford Ubloodynited!

full survey a must even with a new build . 10 year NHBC not worth the paper it's written on.
Absolutely. Ask as many questions as you can think of and then, go away and think of some more.
We keep a notepad with us at all times to jot down anything that occurs to us. It's amazing the silly stuff that pops up that leads to other more serious stuff.
Also, with a new build, if you get in early enough, you can get all manner of stuff done to the property in terms of fixtures, fittings etc. Ask for the ridiculous, it's clear that some developers will bend over backwards to close a sale. (some won't, of course, but it does set the parameters for haggling)

Not being funny manorlounger but after reading this thread I’m wondering why you want a new build?
my house is 400 years old, I figured if it’s still standing and hasn’t got any nasty cracks it’s not going to.
I had to go to a new housing estate in Faringdon yesterday, all the houses looked the same, everyone could see in everyone elses windows, cars everywhere, nothing appealing at all.

Only one problem with Drayton as I see it and it is only if you plan to be regularly travelling back into Abingdon.
The Drayton Road (Abingdon end) is a terrible bottleneck.
At peak times it is best avoided unless you fancy adding 25 minutes to your journey time.

Turn off Drayton Road at Preston Rd, go by the River and through town it is generally quicker although you do get held up. Plenty of alternatives to avoid Drayton Road into Abingdon if going to Oxford etc if going from Drayton.

New houses definitely need surveys. If you know the area and you’re buying one that’s had a survey then you can for peace of mind speak to the surveyor and ask for more info if necessary.

New houses definitely need surveys. If you know the area and you’re buying one that’s had a survey then you can for peace of mind speak to the surveyor and ask for more info if necessary.

Survey won't show everything up though. It will only show faults with the property as it stands not what could happen a couple of years down the line. Example I know a bloke who bought a new build in Wantage had a full survey done (paid 1k for it) a year down the line he has rising damp and mould all downstairs because the house is built below the water table and is the lowest point of the estate. Tried claiming through the survey and because the survey was done before the rest of the estate was built its void. He's now in the process of taking the house builders and surveyors through the courts. As for the nhbc warranty they have told the builders to rectify the issue but all they have done is mould washed the walls and repainted using zinner (mould resistant paint) this won't stop the damp issue continuing. Advice I give you is buy a house that has been standing for atleast 15 years and do your research on the land around the house.

I’d go with that advice and have never bought new.
i used to be in banking and found homebuyers reports had good get out clause. Full structural reports often took around 3 hours but cost £1000 upwards. They also referred to every minor detail, squeaking doors and screws not tightened up on light switches.
The most common report was a valuation, and often the valuer didn’t even enter the property. So long as the lender is covered that’s all they’re bothered about

Back
Top Bottom