General Best Away Day?

Best Away Day Since Promotion in 2010?

• *FGR 29 April 2023

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *Middlesbrough FA Cup 5th round.

• Chesterfield 1 - 2 Oxford. 23 November 2010. Bottom of the league at half time

• Torquay 3 - 4 Oxford. 3 January 2011. Jack Midson hat-trick

• West Ham 1 - 0 Oxford. 24 August 2010. League Cup with late winner for the hammers.

• Rotherham 2 - 3 Oxford. 7 Jan 2017. FA Cup 3rd round after being 1-0 down at half time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We were bottom of the league at HT.

Still maintain MacLean needs a statue at the new stadium for that performance alone.
I'm pretty sure that's the same season we beat Aldershot away. Very lively in the terrace on a cold day.

Was a strange season looking back, went in with a lot of hope, then remember Bury beating us in our first home league game back.

Easy.

I knew that we didn't lose our first league game until nearly Christmas, and the game you mentioned was in September. So I looked it up and saw that it was a 1-0 victory (I was there actually, and all I remember of it was thinking what a s**t hole the place was and how far we had fallen). We were unbeaten for 18 games before losing to Ebbsfleet in late November.

Room for one more pedant alert? They were Gravesend & Northfleet at the time. They were renamed Ebbsfleet in 2007.

Onome Sodje, a loanee for us in the 2009-10 season, scored the winner for them.

Room for one more pedant alert? They were Gravesend & Northfleet at the time. They were renamed Ebbsfleet in 2007.

Onome Sodje, a loanee for us in the 2009-10 season, scored the winner for them.
Good spot, and quite correct.

A good friend of mine was their club secretary at the time, and I occasionally go to watch them if I have a free Saturday (like this Saturday coming) and they often talk about that season, and how they couldn't believe little old Gravesend were not only playing at a stadium like The Kassam, but actually winning. It also cannot be underestimated how much we did their team talk for them, in the return fixture, when we arrived at their place in our luxurious team bus, complete with table lamps and a Chairman with no socks, who thought he was a big shot!!!

Easy.

I knew that we didn't lose our first league game until nearly Christmas, and the game you mentioned was in September. So I looked it up and saw that it was a 1-0 victory (I was there actually, and all I remember of it was thinking what a s**t hole the place was and how far we had fallen). We were unbeaten for 18 games before losing to Ebbsfleet in late November.
…… after which we imploded and threw away the top spot🫤

Away to Torquay in 2011 where Jack Midson completed his hat-trick in the 90th minute to win it 4-3 was a favourite of mine, terrace went nuts

Never should have let him go

The 2-1 win at Scumdon. Keeper sent off, Maguire in sensational shithouse mode. Hall’s goal. And they displayed a big flag “The Pride of the West Country“, that soon got put away.
The funniest part about the sending off was not that it was the second game in a row he'd been sent off against us (in the home game he did slightly raise his hands to McDonald, who had gone flying in on him) but the fact that it was the wrong player, as it was Nathan Thompson who made the foul.

I also remember from that game when we were attacking our fans one of the lads near me shouting "Thompson, Thompson!" while they defended a corner or throw in or something. "Thompson, Thompson!" he shouted. Thompson himself can clearly hear it but is ignoring it. "Thompson, Thompson!" is shouted another 10 times or so until he eventually turns round.

"YOU TWATT!!"

Brilliant, high brow comedy.

Also the fact we were so off it in the first half but turned it round and got both the goals in front of our own fans was pretty special, still not sure how Hall's dropped under the bar. Ledson was only 19 at the time and absolutely ran the show.

Away to Torquay in 2011 where Jack Midson completed his hat-trick in the 90th minute to win it 4-3 was a favourite of mine, terrace went nuts

Never should have let him go
I was just about to mention this - the miracle of Plainmoor... couldn't make it myself but remember listening in with envy.

I was just about to mention this - the miracle of Plainmoor... couldn't make it myself but remember listening in with envy.
Was a great atmosphere, pretty sure Midson had just returned from a loan if I remember correctly too, so it was all a bit of a shock to see him score 1, let alone 3.

West Ham 1-0 defeat was a weirdly enjoyable one. Really felt like we were 'back' where we should be. Rotherham 3-2 away win in the FA Cup deserves a mention as well. What we won't talk about is the time we were 3-0 up at Scunthorpe then 8 minutes later it was 3-3

Chelsea 1 Oxford 3 FA Cup 3rd round 1991. Another great cup tie and worthy winners again against top flight opposition.

Back
Top Bottom