General Best Away Day?

Best Away Day Since Promotion in 2010?

• *FGR 29 April 2023

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *Middlesbrough FA Cup 5th round.

• Chesterfield 1 - 2 Oxford. 23 November 2010. Bottom of the league at half time

• Torquay 3 - 4 Oxford. 3 January 2011. Jack Midson hat-trick

• West Ham 1 - 0 Oxford. 24 August 2010. League Cup with late winner for the hammers.

• Rotherham 2 - 3 Oxford. 7 Jan 2017. FA Cup 3rd round after being 1-0 down at half time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarkG

After a thoroughly enjoyable win in London at the weekend, which away day have you enjoyed most since Wembley promotion in 2016?

Will add matches. Not sure if other posters can add poll options?

Last edited:
Agree with the aforementioned Lincoln and Portsmouth matches being worthy of the list, Orient on Saturday was a great away day but doesn’t make the cut as *especially* memorable to me if you’re looking at the last 12 years.

How did people rate 7-2 at Gillingham with the four CamBran pens, as I wasn’t at that one? It’s a horrible place, I know.

Swindon away in 2011 for me where the whole buildup was about Constable and Swindon. They had splurged a tonne of money and I recall their fans thinking they were entitled to having Constable off us, only for him to turn them down and score 2 goals to shut them up.

I also recall Duberry spent most the second half just heading clearances away. He was a colossus that day and you could tell he was absolutely loving it.

I remember walking out the ground at full time feeling absolutely exhausted.

Some great choices listed. I loved our 2-1 win at Hillsborough a couple of years ago.

We were immense on the day, outsung them in the stands, outplayed them on the pitch. At times it felt like Barry Bannan was single handedly keeping them in it - and some of the midfield play from Bannan and Herbie Kane was just a joy to watch

(And of course a stoppage time winner always helps make a cracking away day!)

Charlton. It was a perfect day out for me and the football just topped it off. Results like that always feel better when you're not expecting them, we were in a real mess at that point. I didn't see Oxford win again for 16 games, until December 2021 (we did knock Sunderland out on penalties during that sequence, but it was still a draw).

Middlesborough was by far the most enjoyable loss though!

Sorry to also go off piste but 1-4 at Portsmouth, August 2013.

Winning at the County Ground in 2011 felt like the greatest of the results listed, but I was too nervous to enjoy the day until it was all over.

Yeap, Portsmouth 2013 is definitely up there.

I would also add the 2x Autumn trips to Hereford upon promotion back into the League (2010, 2011). Both were fantastic 'traditional' away days (and nights), they've kind of merged but one was definitely a heatwave and both involved cracking train journeys packed with Oxford - not always about the significance of the game, is it?

Lucky enough to be at most of these, which is weird as I only do about 5-10 aways a season.

Charlton 0-4 Oxford deserves a mention, but I voted for Saturday. It's almost certainly recency bias but the first half performance, the atmosphere and the players and management coming over at the end was epic.

Carlisle away we didn't get the job quite done, was still some anxiety going into the final day. Boro away was the best away day "loss" I've been to.

In the promotion season Crawley 1-5 Oxford and Barnet 0-3 Oxford both absolute scenes in the away end.

Yeap, Portsmouth 2013 is definitely up there.

I would also add the 2x Autumn trips to Hereford upon promotion back into the League (2010, 2011). Both were fantastic 'traditional' away days (and nights), they've kind of merged but one was definitely a heatwave and both involved cracking train journeys packed with Oxford - not always about the significance of the game, is it?
Ah but this thread is for games from May 16!
If we are going back in time, Tranmere away keeping us up in 1992 was the most nerve racking

Swindon away 2011, had had a partial tear on my acl playing Sunday league in 2007, that long awaited away victory did for the rest of it in the celebrations and I spent the rest of day celebrating with a limp, worth it though, so I pick that one.

Charlton. It was a perfect day out for me and the football just topped it off. Results like that always feel better when you're not expecting them, we were in a real mess at that point. I didn't see Oxford win again for 16 games, until December 2021 (we did knock Sunderland out on penalties during that sequence, but it was still a draw).

Since I moved to the US in January 2015, for one reason and another I've only been able to get back for one single game - and the 3-2 win at Charlton was it. I chose wisely.
There's something about last minute goals scored right in front of you that's absolutely magical - and we had two that day to turn a defeat into a win!

(Pompey in 2013 was also magic - gorgeous day, full house and after a rough first 30 minutes, we then utterly demolished them.......)

Ah but this thread is for games from May 16!
If we are going back in time, Tranmere away keeping us up in 1992 was the most nerve racking

Standing on that terrace having won, and waiting for the Blackburn result in the days before mobile phones and instant results on the Web, which was running about 10mins behind to see if we had escaped, that most definitely was nerve-wracking.

Back
Top Bottom