League One ‘Bayo AKINFENWA

The chant is horrific. Accusing someone of being a sex offender is abhorrent and can destroy lives. That is not on. Anywhere in society.

My issues is the way Wycombe are presenting themselves as angels. Are they forgetting the incidents perpetrated by their fans two weeks ago?
True, although we were hardly innocents on that occasion either

The chant is horrific. Accusing someone of being a sex offender is abhorrent and can destroy lives. That is not on. Anywhere in society.

My issues is the way Wycombe are presenting themselves as angels. Are they forgetting the incidents perpetrated by their fans two weeks ago?

‘Horrific’ !!! Really ? Yes, it’s a bit childish, a bit simple and a bit coarse but horrific ?

As for destroying lives, yes you’re right if someone is publicly wrongly accused but this is to fit a rhyme in a football chant. We all know he isn’t a sex offender, it’s completely inoffensive.

I’m certain I heard the same chant aimed at Matty Taylor and Karl Robinson during the game at their place the other day. Repeatedly as well. Interesting that hasn’t been mentioned by pious, saintly Wycombe.

That being said, Akinfenwa does come across as genuine in his dislike for the chant. I’m not a fan of his ‘celebrity footballer’ act - but for all his flaws he is correct that he absolutely can take a joke. Having seen him countless times, with various teams, against us over the years - he has always been happy to smile, joke and trade jibes with us fans. Dishing it out when he can, but happy to take it and have a laugh too. Which makes me think maybe he is genuine in the offence he has taken here.

If it weren’t Wycombe, and if it were any manager other than Ainsworth I’d have a lot easier time shaking off the feeling that it’s another Westley/drinks break tactic…

Is it only him that gets it, or has it become a general chant against any player whose name is the right length?

What's also a bit worrying is the rise in fan misbehaviour across the leagues generally - perhaps the most bizarre was (apparently) the Rotherham fans "coining" the linesman yesterday even though they were winning - cowardly & moronic but also bizarre if true - I know every club has its morons but why has it suddenly started up like this

All because of Brexit I reckon

I’m hoping to start bringing my young kids to Oxford games in the years to come. If a few idiots are singing songs about sex offenders near us, I probably won’t.

Absolute morons, no need for ifs or buts on this.

Probably best you don’t bring them to away games then. Do they like rugby ? You don’t get the tribalism there and it’s is a much gentler experience for younger ears or easily offended parents. Football, let’s be honest, is what it is and unlikely to change any time soon - alcohol, escapism, expectation, rivalry.

Probably best you don’t bring them to away games then. Do they like rugby ? You don’t get the tribalism there and it’s is a much gentler experience for younger ears or easily offended parents. Football, let’s be honest, is what it is and unlikely to change any time soon - alcohol, escapism, expectation, rivalry.
Yeah you can have all that and not be a w****r though. Some people need to join the 21st century

I don’t like rugby, no.

I also don’t like people who sing trivial songs about sexual abuse.

Not particularly keen on those who shrug it off as harmless banter either. We should be better than that.

In no way am I condoning this chant, and in no way do I find it remotely amusing. I am however astounded the game was stopped and he spoke as he did in the IV after the game. I was expecting much much worse.

Pathetic and not at all a funny chant, but not a game stopping moment!

It is surprising, not saying that it doesn't deserve attention but does it deserve more attention than the linesman getting hit by an object thrown by Rotherham idiots and not being able to continue as a result?

• React
Reactions: m
What's also a bit worrying is the rise in fan misbehaviour across the leagues generally - perhaps the most bizarre was (apparently) the Rotherham fans "coining" the linesman yesterday even though they were winning - cowardly & moronic but also bizarre if true - I know every club has its morons but why has it suddenly started up like this

So much so that the EFL has released a statement about it.

Throw in the behaviour at the Euros and it does feel like a reversion to previous bad habits.

Football should be fun. Yes, it can be tribal and emotive but the majority of us know it is just a game, where we all shake hands at the end of it regardless of outcome and go our separate ways. A significant number just aren’t doing that - pent up rage, for the likes on social media, wanting to be seen as the biggest or toughest - it’s not on. Football has done so much in the last few years to become a more inclusive place. Let’s keep that going instead.

I’m hoping to start bringing my young kids to Oxford games in the years to come. If a few idiots are singing songs about sex offenders near us, I probably won’t.

Absolute morons, no need for ifs or buts on this.
You still can.
Sit in South Lower Row J 60’s- where most fellow fans will respect your children’s presence and are not afraid to tell those that don’t, to shut the feck up !

Considering @dickwalton1964 was ignorant to homophobic chanting, I wouldn't expect anything different from them on this. Thankfully, the vast majority of football fans are better than this and will hopefully drown out the minority with more positive chanting.
Definitely the right idea but sadly suspect its asking a bit much of our current society

I’m not sure brexit is the reason. I actually think that since we have come out of the various lock downs, society has an angry feel about it. Angry that they had their freedom taken away and now people think they will rebel and do what they want. I find that generally it is the same people who think they can act how they like, to be the ones who are most offended when by things.
Throw in social media and it really isn’t great over all.

Yeah you can have all that and not be a w****r though. Some people need to join the 21st century

Yes you can but you won’t get it. I don’t care what anyone says, fans represent a cross section of society and if you take, in the main, 2000 blokes of which probably 1500 have had a drink (probably a smaller percentage having taken some form of drugs too) put them in a shed, a warehouse, a football stand, then you are getting at least 1% who lose their inhibitions, lose their senses and lose their ability to conform.

It’s not ideal but it’s the reality.

I’m not sure brexit is the reason. I actually think that since we have come out of the various lock downs, society has an angry feel about it. Angry that they had their freedom taken away and now people think they will rebel and do what they want. I find that generally it is the same people who think they can act how they like, to be the ones who are most offended when by things.
Throw in social media and it really isn’t great over all.
That’s an interesting take and I agree social media can be a scourge, that seems to have escalated dramatically,as a result of us living in the recent zoom only age.
From my perspective, I haven’t seen any evidence of that anger on my weekly trips home or away,at least from my LRTC fellow travellers.
No adverse reaction or dissent, from fans of all ages/demographics on,say having to wear a face mask for the whole journey, to and from away matches including Sunderland !
Just a happiness at being able to travel and attend football again.
What I have witnessed though, is the re-emergence of the same badly behaved morons, who do seem to want to make up for lost time.

Back
Top Bottom