League One ‘Bayo AKINFENWA

Considering @dickwalton1964 was ignorant to homophobic chanting, I wouldn't expect anything different from them on this. Thankfully, the vast majority of football fans are better than this and will hopefully drown out the minority with more positive chanting.

I’m a realist. Do you still believe in Father Christmas and The Tooth Fairy ?

So much so that the EFL has released a statement about it.

Throw in the behaviour at the Euros and it does feel like a reversion to previous bad habits.

Football should be fun. Yes, it can be tribal and emotive but the majority of us know it is just a game, where we all shake hands at the end of it regardless of outcome and go our separate ways. A significant number just aren’t doing that - pent up rage, for the likes on social media, wanting to be seen as the biggest or toughest - it’s not on. Football has done so much in the last few years to become a more inclusive place. Let’s keep that going instead.

Banning alcohol sales or consumption (pubs) within a radius of the ground and dishing out appropriate punishment for drug use would go a long way to curing the behaviour surrounding football. Bring forward kick off times to, say, 10am would help too.

Banning alcohol sales or consumption (pubs) within a radius of the ground and dishing out appropriate punishment for drug use would go a long way to curing the behaviour surrounding football. Bring forward kick off times to, say, 10am would help too.
That's it - ruin it for the 99% of people who aren't complete dickheads (agree on the drug point though)

Bucks Free Press claimed is was a homophobic chant that upset Ainsworth & The barrel on legs ....and OUFC been lumped in the report from 2 weeks ago( no mention of the assault on Whyte though!).....

I was watching either final score or sky and the panel started discussing about racism when referring to the Bayo chant, which struck me as bizarre as no details at all were known at the time.

Whilst the sex offender chant is not big or clever, football/wycombe seems to be in a state of hyper-sensitivity at the moment.

How long until chants like "who ate all the pies" are banned for fat shaming? I guess not all supporters know where the line is between banter and something out of order.

I was watching either final score or sky and the panel started discussing about racism when referring to the Bayo chant, which struck me as bizarre as no details at all were known at the time.

Whilst the sex offender chant is not big or clever, football/wycombe seems to be in a state of hyper-sensitivity at the moment.

How long until chants like "who ate all the pies" are banned for fat shaming? I guess not all supporters know where the line is between banter and something out of order.
The chant is not 'banter' - that infers some sort of two-way dialogue. It's a lazy, shitty chant - I was stood amongst some of the Oxford fans doing at Wycombe and they seemed immensely pleased with themselves, looking around for sort of positive affirmation that they were indeed the funniest men on earth.

On the other hand, I can't stand Ainsworth and Wycombe attempting to occupy the moral high ground. Wycombe fans have made the same chant, as acknowledged on their forum and Ainsworth could stop his players warming up so close to opposition fans (the cynic in me would say that is entirely deliberate). After our game I wrote that I had no problem with McCleary celebrating in front of us - he had taken some vitriolic, personal abuse from fans in the corner but there was no excuse for the subs making hand-signs and generally trying to stir things up.

To me there are probably four categories of chant/song aimed at individual players:
1) the type that indicates that the player is not very good and is comparable an unpleasant item, often faeces (whoooooo, you're sh*t, aaaaaah)
2) typical name calling, usually likening the individual to one of the sexual organs (keeper, you're a c*nt // the referee's a w*nker)
3) those that focus on minority issues, such racism, homophobia, etc, (you black b*****d//who's the g*yb*y in the pink)
4) those that link the individual to real world incidents, issues or behaviours ( ... Is a s*x offender)

The first two, while containing words that parents might not want little Johnny to hear, are very much part of the atmosphere at a game and the 'back and forth' between players and fans ... And those going to games should expect such things and mitigate their behaviour accordingly.

There was a time when the third category was perhaps deemed acceptable as banter, but society has changed since then so any inference that belonging to a particular minority group is a negative, or something to insult someone with, is not acceptable any more.

As for the final group, not only does it leave the individual open to potential legal issues, this is anything from unpleasant to downright offensive to most people in earshot, let alone the impact on those that have suffered either directly or indirectly from such events.

So, there is little issue with the first two, and those who aren't comfortable should perhaps take their own mitigating action by locating away from the hotbeds as best as possible....

But there is no place for either of th the latter in 2022 and those perpetuating their use need to be called out and persuaded otherwise.

Oh, and using an incredibly offensive and upsetting word or phrase " just because it rhymes...." Is quite the most remarkable justification for anything I've ever heard

To my simple mind, it is comes down to this:

- do you sing songs at the football? Yes
- would you sing this song? Absolutely no way on Earth - it’s offensive and I’d feel ashamed if I did

What am I missing?

We might have discussed this before........ 🤷‍♀️

There is a legal line - protected characteristics and all that. So that rightly rules out a lot of stuff.

Then there is the line of "the offended" and that is where the problem starts.

Where do you stop? What is acceptable?

Suggesting Swindon fans are incestuous is no better/worse than putting Akinfenwa in the sex offender song is it?

There is a legal line - protected characteristics and all that. So that rightly rules out a lot of stuff.

Suggesting Swindon fans are incestuous is no better/worse than putting Akinfenwa in the sex offender song is it?
fair point.... IMO they are ... and he isnt

Three main differences:

- The former chant is aimed at a collective group rather than an individual

- Incest can be consensual and I'm led to believe even encouraged in certain parts of Wiltshire whereas sex offences tend to involve an aggressor

- Swindon fans are not human and therefore, not protected by Common Law afforded to our species, they may however, have a similar level of rights to feral packs of dogs

We might be (kind of) overthinking this;
If you don’t like it, don’t sing it.
If you really don’t like it, and / or you think it’s offensive, tell the morons that are singing it because you probably won’t be the only one who thinks the same.

Three main differences:

- The former chant is aimed at a collective group rather than an individual

- Incest can be consensual and I'm led to believe even encouraged in certain parts of Wiltshire whereas sex offences tend to involve an aggressor

- Swindon fans are not human and therefore, not protected by Common Law afforded to our species, they may however, have a similar level of rights to feral packs of dogs

The only reason it's aimed at an individual is his name "fits".

Aiming a chant at a collective group is fine then?

So "Oxford boys are on a bender and the Wycombe team are sex offenders" is acceptable then?

Singing "He`s got a pineapple on his head" to Jason Lee - banter? Cultural ignorance? Offensive?

And so it goes on..... m`eh.

The only reason it's aimed at an individual is his name "fits".

Aiming a chant at a collective group is fine then?

So "Oxford boys are on a bender and the Wycombe team are sex offenders" is acceptable then?

Singing "He`s got a pineapple on his head" to Jason Lee - banter? Cultural ignorance? Offensive?

And so it goes on..... m`eh.
For someone who actively shows their support for a party whose morals and ethics towards minorities are questionable to say the least, you do seem to have been triggered by a post about singing at Swindon fans.

The chant is not 'banter' - that infers some sort of two-way dialogue. It's a lazy, shitty chant - I was stood amongst some of the Oxford fans doing at Wycombe and they seemed immensely pleased with themselves, looking around for sort of positive affirmation that they were indeed the funniest men on earth.

On the other hand, I can't stand Ainsworth and Wycombe attempting to occupy the moral high ground. Wycombe fans have made the same chant, as acknowledged on their forum and Ainsworth could stop his players warming up so close to opposition fans (the cynic in me would say that is entirely deliberate). After our game I wrote that I had no problem with McCleary celebrating in front of us - he had taken some vitriolic, personal abuse from fans in the corner but there was no excuse for the subs making hand-signs and generally trying to stir things up.
To be fair, I never said the chant was banter, I just said its not big or clever. It certainly leads to a difficult conversation around what is and isn't acceptable.

Chelsea have now taken exception to the Rent Boys chant, demanding bans for anyone who uses the term, but their own fans sing about West Ham being "pikeys" in every game they play.

Can of worms...

To me there are probably four categories of chant/song aimed at individual players:
1) the type that indicates that the player is not very good and is comparable an unpleasant item, often faeces (whoooooo, you're sh*t, aaaaaah)
2) typical name calling, usually likening the individual to one of the sexual organs (keeper, you're a c*nt // the referee's a w*nker)
3) those that focus on minority issues, such racism, homophobia, etc, (you black b*****d//who's the g*yb*y in the pink)
4) those that link the individual to real world incidents, issues or behaviours ( ... Is a s*x offender)

The first two, while containing words that parents might not want little Johnny to hear, are very much part of the atmosphere at a game and the 'back and forth' between players and fans ... And those going to games should expect such things and mitigate their behaviour accordingly.

There was a time when the third category was perhaps deemed acceptable as banter, but society has changed since then so any inference that belonging to a particular minority group is a negative, or something to insult someone with, is not acceptable any more.

As for the final group, not only does it leave the individual open to potential legal issues, this is anything from unpleasant to downright offensive to most people in earshot, let alone the impact on those that have suffered either directly or indirectly from such events.

So, there is little issue with the first two, and those who aren't comfortable should perhaps take their own mitigating action by locating away from the hotbeds as best as possible....

But there is no place for either of th the latter in 2022 and those perpetuating their use need to be called out and persuaded otherwise.

Oh, and using an incredibly offensive and upsetting word or phrase " just because it rhymes...." Is quite the most remarkable justification for anything I've ever heard
In all seriousness, could a ginger player claim number 3? The worst "minority" abuse I've seen is aimed at ginger players. I regularly hear chants of "ginger, and he stinks of P**s!" and hear "you ginger c***" at games.

In 20 years time I wonder if we'll view those chants/shouts as a disgrace?

In all seriousness, could a ginger player claim number 3? The worst "minority" abuse I've seen is aimed at ginger players. I regularly hear chants of "ginger, and he stinks of P**s!" and hear "you ginger c***" at games.

In 20 years time I wonder if we'll view those chants/shouts as a disgrace?
So being ginger myself, I have been to plenty of games where our fans have sung the ginger chants at players. I usually get the ones signing it laugh when I turn round and say they don’t mean me. I don’t take offence to it in any way what so ever.
I also wouldn’t think of reporting it to a steward.
I understand it is a football match, things are chanted for affect. I’m sure singing to a larger player that if they have 1 more burger and they will be dead doesn’t really affect them.

It is understanding the surroundings however some things do cross the line such as homophobic chants, racist chants and this latest chanting about sex offenders. I’d also throw in the chants about wishing players or their family died.

For someone who actively shows their support for a party whose morals and ethics towards minorities are questionable to say the least, you do seem to have been triggered by a post about singing at Swindon fans.

Nope, could be any other club.

The question is where does "offence" start or stop?

If I am offended by fans singing "You fat b**tard" who do I complain to?

Back
Top Bottom