Appleton to Lincoln

If I may, I believe the point would be that had Eales not got himself into some bother with his personal life, and, had Eales not dismantled the organisation that had facilitated Appleton's progress, then Appleton would/could have continued and we may well have been now playing in the championship.
The writing was on the wall from when Ashton jumped ship. That recruitment set up that allowed Appleton to find so much talent was removed in order to save finance. Eales was right when he said he couldn't finance Championship football, his commitments were being re-directed by non business partnerships, the sort that he couldn't ignore and, far more financially demanding than OUFC.
Eloquently put.
Did Ashton jump ship or was he pushed.

Backwards step for MApp IMO. He’s basically gone full circle since he left us just over two years ago.
I would say a step down , in terms of our size of club and history! And a strange club to go to , I would have thought he could have got a club in the Championship ?

I’m surprised he didn’t hold out for the Stoke job.
Tbh , I am shock he as taken this job , and I agree and I would have thought the Huddersfield job would have been more for him
then the Cowley Bros.

I’m surprised he didn’t hold out for the Stoke job.
He’s probably realised that when the Stoke job does come up, he’ll be shortlisted and interviewed only for the job to go to some Spanish fella who’s enjoyed incredible success of late in Azerbaijan.

Or Steve Bruce after he’s sacked at Newcastle...

Yes this is the big one (probably not- but a job that when App actually woke up and smelt the EFL coffee he thought it was about time he got back on the rung after his gardening leave and rebooted his CV). Lets forget all the chat beforehand about what App was to do or not to do but he has looked at the reasonable salary (much much more than every ordinary Joe gets) offered-looked at a club that has at the moment decent highish crowds and took it from there. He is back in management. He won't be in charge tomorrow as it is almost weird that it is us who Lincoln face tomorrow and he knows that. Personally I'm still in the Robinson camp and tbh when App went he went and he is a forgotten man to me especially when leaving our football club! At the moment Robinson is our geezer and he is the one who I'm behind- so Robbo please get this team firing and show some bloody B*****s as I for one isn't anywhere in the bring back App camp. He left us and to me he is nobody more than a previous manager/head coach. Coyy.

If I recall right , back in the 80s when we visited them , we took more away then home fans;) they was getting gates of 4.500 tops!?

I thought he was great and if Oxford had given him a 10 year contract I wouldn’t have complained but at the end of the day he chose to go. Career wise though I always thought a Championship job would have been more likely but maybe the offer never came so he has had to take this. Lincoln are off my radar a bit so I don’t know if they have loads of money to splash about or what. Should have stayed with us Michael, wonder if you regret it.

I don’t get emotional about managers, players or owners who come and go, they are not my club they were privileged to be part of it.
We the fans are the club for good, bad or indifferent.
COYY’s

I don’t get emotional about managers, players or owners who come and go, they are not my club they were privileged to be part of it.
We the fans are the club for good, bad or indifferent.
COYY’s
Agree apart from Jim Smith !

I'm sure MApp will be announced to the crowd before the game, and I'm sure that both sets of fans will show their appreciation for what was, and what is hoped to be. But I do hope that during the game we focus on our players/manager alone.

Why don't some of our fans move on?

Wonder boy dumped us 2 weeks before the start of a season for the £

Now I don't blame him to an extent, but I could not care less about him either!

Hard not to admire Lincoln over the past few years. I remember we beat them 2-1 at home earlier in the decade which pretty much condemned them to the National League. It was easy to empathise as we’d just escaped non league ourselves. They’ve got themselves a great manager and it’s good to see them back where they belong....

So, from losing the Cowley brothers to appointing Appleton, just two weeks have elapsed. A few clubs should sit up and take notice of that. How to find, interview and appoint a manager and get on with the job in hand. Ring any bells?

Not defending our approach in any way, but you are assuming that Appleton is the right man for the Lincoln job, and we will need to wait a few months to know whether that is the case.

So, from losing the Cowley brothers to appointing Appleton, just two weeks have elapsed. A few clubs should sit up and take notice of that. How to find, interview and appoint a manager and get on with the job in hand. Ring any bells?

Yeah but Pep! PEP!

Back
Top Bottom