Appleton to Lincoln

Appleton being appointed manager of a similarly sized club playing at the same level as us has somehow made our desperately poor start to the season even more frustrating.

The only thing I would say is that there will undoubtedly be a teething period for him at Lincoln, as there will be quite a significant shift in the style of play he'll want to employ compared with the signature style of the Cowley brothers. However if they (Lincoln's board) are patient enough to ride it out I'm certain they'll end up challenging for promotion.

Mapp was the right man at the right time when he was with us. Loved the Mapp times. KR is our boss now and I for 1 wouldn’t change that. Does KR have his faults? You can bet your bottom dollar e does. What you can’t deny though is his commitment to OUFC. Yes Mapp deserves a good reception from the yellow masses and I hope he gets it. But that’s all the adoration has to stop. COYY

We may have had one of the highest budgets in L2 in 15-16 but one of the hallmarks of MApp’s reign was cup runs, and convincingly beating teams in leagues above us. Didn’t we famously beat a team in each of the top 5 leagues in England in 15-16? And then trounced a Newcastle side that was running away with the Championship the season after? That shows to me that he wasn’t just ‘buying the league’ he had a real tactical acumen and stylish vision of how football should be played.

Which all makes his subsequent move so much more disappointing. I just can’t respect MApp’s career trajectory after leaving us. If he had gone to be a number 2 for a genuinely great manager, from whom he would learn a lot, I could have understood being a number 2. But to Ranieri? Really? He should at least have gone to a Championship club, or come back to a team in L1 that plays with the MApp style. Barnsley aren’t pulling up trees atm - if that job were to become available I’d have thought that would have been perfect for him. Can’t see Lincoln being the job he’s waited nearly two and a half years for.
Ranieri had been fired out by then.

He didn’t have the greatest start to his first season, I thought that he was lucky still in the job ,this applies to both Appleton and Robinson .who will be remembered the most is the moot question

Mapp was the right man at the right time when he was with us. Loved the Mapp times. KR is our boss now and I for 1 wouldn’t change that. Does KR have his faults? You can bet your bottom dollar e does. What you can’t deny though is his commitment to OUFC. Yes Mapp deserves a good reception from the yellow masses and I hope he gets it. But that’s all the adoration has to stop. COYY
I get what you’re saying but I’d hope that commitment from the manager is a given. We hear a lot about Robinson’s passion and commitment but it’s a bit like praising a player for ‘giving 100%’. That should be the basic requirement, I’d show commitment if I was manager but it doesn’t mean I’d be competent at the job. I’m still supporting Robinson at the moment but this is a results business. I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be feeling a renewed level of enthusiasm if Id read that Appleton was announced as our new manager and not Lincoln’s. Support does seem to be dropping away a bit this season - the Tranmere gate was disappointing, tickets don’t seem to have been taken on the same level as past away games today and even the West Ham game still has tickets available. Apathy seems to be creeping in, with a general feeling that on recent showing, mid table is all we can hope for. I’m not condoning stay away supporters and ‘glory hunters’ but it’s a fact of life that people need to be enticed with winning football and the possibility of success. The prospect of a second season under Robinson like the last one isn’t filling people with enthusiasm. Hopefully Robinson will find a formula that clicks, we find consistency, and everybody can get behind him - and the club - 100%

"Stayed at the Manor, you should have stayed at the Maaaannnooorrr!!!"

Today - what a WOW!! :) Apart from the normal "OUFC to score 4 and win" bet coming in (same every week) - I think if MaPP woud have sent an email to Tiger, applying for the job, pretty sure he would be taking over us on Monday

Good luck to him albeit not against us (in the next game ? ) or if their results affect us.

KR is so much a better talker when we win :p
Like he said, enjoy, the moment and shows how good our midfield is 4/6 goals
Backed Bolton at 7-1 start of second half and sold then big after 70 @ 1.3.... huge weekend.... gonna get ratted!

Last edited:
Appleton being appointed manager of a similarly sized club playing at the same level as us has somehow made our desperately poor start to the season even more frustrating.

The only thing I would say is that there will undoubtedly be a teething period for him at Lincoln, as there will be quite a significant shift in the style of play he'll want to employ compared with the signature style of the Cowley brothers. However if they (Lincoln's board) are patient enough to ride it out I'm certain they'll end up challenging for promotion.
Patient is the word.
Not this season I would guess.

It is interesting to wonder how Mapp will go about sorting out Lincoln after Saturday. My guess is that a line will be drawn and Monday will be day One for their players.
Essentially, Appleton is no-ones fool.
He may take time to get it right there, but I wouldn’t bet against him doing rather well.

Back
Top Bottom