Michael Appleton - Hibs manager

tonyw

My memory is that even the first half of the first season, the football we played was easy on the eye, and we had tons of possession. We just had little or no cutting edge.

Then Kemar Roofe joined the fray, and other talented players followed, and MApp put together by far the best team we've had since the mid-90s.

As an aside - I do think that the move to Leicester, as a lot of us said at the time, was a dreadful career move for him.
Yes, I'm sure there were frustrations here at OUFC.....but he gave up a #1 role, and joined a coaching staff at Leicester that most people thought was probably doomed......
If he'd stayed at Oxford, and we'd had a good summer and started the 2017/18 season well, I think he would have had a big shot at landing a top Championship job when the next one came up. As it is, he's basically been off the radar for two years, and now is having to rebuild his career again north of the border.

I'm not even sure that it's going to be financially worth it for him in the long run. Sure, one rich contract with Leicester - but I bet Hibs aren't paying the wages he could have commanded in the Championship.

Foley

Oxford84

Unbelievable really. The stand out candidate and they cut the severance package from what is normal and wouldn't give any relocation allowance.
Goodness knows how they will treat the second and third choices!!
What a mistake to make,Appleton is pure top class.

FalmouthOx

Epic own goal appointing that muppet over MaPP. Assume he was happy to be paid in bovril and pies

jayhi1810

One or two things that no one has mentioned is once he assembled a team of his own players the discipline from the players (and himself onthe touch line) was excellent.
Also pretty much without fail we always played better second half and won so may games. He was obviously a great half time motivator. We woukd always get stronger as games went on.

jayhi1810

Wow, deal off!
Big chance missed for Hibs, Appleton brought us some of the best football and success in donkeys years

Ox5OUFC

One or two things that no one has mentioned is once he assembled a team of his own players the discipline from the players (and himself onthe touch line) was excellent.
Also pretty much without fail we always played better second half and won so may games. He was obviously a great half time motivator. We woukd always get stronger as games went on.
Agreed the discipline is the part i really respected

Yellow River

Certainly in the post match interviews Appleton and the players were all singing off the same hymn sheet. That was very noticeable at the time.

It felt like the players were listening to the manager and respected his analysis of their performance.

Top Bottom