And so to Wembley

Don’t what legislation you’re quoting there?
This incident will be recorded as a racist incident because Akinfenwa says it is.
What happens after that with the investigation and to what extent, is what I think you’re referencing.
But that doesn't make it a "racist incident" it simply means it is recorded as such (if a complaint has even been made) and then investigated accordingly.

Anyone can allege an offence of any nature, and it will be recorded as stated, but that is a long way from saying it occurred.

Last edited:
But that doesn't make it a "racist incident" it simply means it is recorded as such (if a complaint has even been made) and then investigated accordingly.

Anyone call allege an offence of any nature, and it will be recorded as stated, but that is a long way from saying it occurred.

Genuine question.

Does that then show up on an advanced DBS check?

I wrote a piece for a magazine maybe 11 or 12 years back where I mentioned that he was kicked out of Maiden. He then took exception to this and tried to sue me, until the publisher sent him an article from the same magazine years before where he said something along the lines of “I thought we had at least one more great album in us, but they didn’t feel that way and wanted to bring Bruce back instead.” Which is him in his own words saying that he didn’t want to leave but they replaced him anyway, aka being kicked out. So it didn’t last long at all.

Truthfully it only happened to begin with because I knew the guy who had just started playing drums for Blaze’s solo band, and he was a total plank who no doubt spurred it all on at his end just to be problematic.

So there you go. The afternoon when the former singer of Iron Maiden tried to sue me. It doesn’t get any more action packed than that.
Interesting. I asked as I worked for the label that did albums 4 & 5, before Blaze joined Maiden. He wasn't the nicest of blokes, bit of a chip on his shoulder and no humility.

Having worked for labels over the years you often judge the person by the way they act toward the people employed around them, from the receptionists and office staff to the producers, tour managers and A&R people. On that basis he ranked fairly highly on the cuntometer! Coldplay recorded albums 2 & 3 at a studio where I had an office and Chris Martin was the most courteous and unaffected of people - he chatted with everyone in the studio and brought presents for birthdays, drinks at Xmas, etc.

Sexist!

I am offended on behalf of all females, as well as all transgender women and people who identify as women who post on and read this forum.
Apologies I meant to say slightly fuller figured person’s upper garment.. ?

Chris Martin was the most courteous and unaffected of people - he chatted with everyone in the studio and brought presents for birthdays, drinks at Xmas, etc.

He should still be found guilty of crimes against music though, he can't hide behind a wall of lately-realised philanthropy.

I wonder what the reaction would be if this was Dan Agyei speaking out
It would depend entirely on what was said IMO. If he was offended because someone called him a 'fat water buffalo' I'd worry that he was a tad too sensitive really.
And the fact is that Akinfemwa *does* play rather like such an animal, running about charging into people - I'd say that was more a defining characteristic of the animal than it's colour?

I think we need to be careful here. I certainly can’t speak for Adebayo Akinfenwa or pretend to know how he feels or the context of it. To me it seems an odd choice of language that the Fleetwood official used and certainly not becoming for someone in his position. Rather embarrassing in fact, if a mate had said it in the pub to me I’d have felt uncomfortable and want to distance myself from the comment.

This really is all about people thinking before they speak and trying to consider the hurt that their throw away comments can have.

If people get the chance, and they haven’t already, they should listen to Michael Holding’s eloquent and emotional speech before the start of the Test Match yesterday. Very moving.

Edit: I’m not necessarily directly linking the two points, but, as the discussion is about the perception of racism, I thought it relevant to share.

as an animal loving vegan i’d just like to say i feel sorry for the water buffalo

It would depend entirely on what was said IMO. If he was offended because someone called him a 'fat water buffalo' I'd worry that he was a tad too sensitive really.
And the fact is that Akinfemwa *does* play rather like such an animal, running about charging into people - I'd say that was more a defining characteristic of the animal than it's colour?
Yeah I’m fairly PC but reckon that’s a stretch, surely the intent was to compare him to any large clumsy animal, regardless of its colour, and water buffaloes don’t really have a cultural association with black people

Akinfemwa is also a very outspoken character who certainly gives as good as he gets. He even depicted himself exactly as he now finds so offensive.

Screenshot_20200709-115913_Twitter.jpg

Dan Agyei is a young man, quietly looking to make his way in the game. If he spoke out against abuse (racist or otherwise) I would be inclined to take note simple because he says so little. However, that wouldn't mean that I would see the comments as any more (or less) racist or offensive regardless of who was involved.

Anyone call allege an offence of any nature, and it will be recorded as stated, but that is a long way from saying it occurred.
You’re right, If it’s recorded as a racist incident, it’s recorded as a racist incident and to anyone, public, media or anyone else asking TVP if any racist incidents have been reported over the course of the game they’ll say yes.
However, whether you, me or anyone else think it occurred and/ or think it’s then worthy of any level of further investigation is another matter. Whether it’s treated as a crime is another matter again. How it is then filed and with what outcome is another matter again.
The Macpherson report (Lawrence inquiry) brought about the recommendation to record in this way, whether we agree with it or not is a moot point.

Back
Top Bottom