Current Player #30 Owen Dale

Is there a dispute?
That would come down to how each side interpret the rules as laid down. If either fear that they have a potential breach by virtue of the so called "Gentleman's agreement" becoming public knowledge and, as such, a potential points deduction (or other sanction) then perhaps, OUFC, for example, may see fit to include Owen Dale in the match day squad (but not play) as a way to circumvent any breach. At that point, perhaps, Blackpool could say that the agreement has been broken (in the spirit of the agreement) - apologies, this getting very convoluted!
Would that indicate a dispute? Would the EFL simply see it as a breach of the rules and sanction both? Would the two clubs dispute the existence of the agreement?

I believe "shitstorm" is the appropriate description!

I say, call Blackpools bluff, put Dale in the squad tomorrow and then let Blackpool try and make a dispute out of it. Pretty sure they'll get short shrift from the league or FA.

Who else are they going to go crying to?

Just a shame our senior management were party to it in the first place.

Interesting that it’s under ‘Guidance’. By definition, it’s not an instruction.

Also, ‘any dispute between two clubs’ indicates to me that FA rule K is only invoked when there’s a dispute. Is there in this case?

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
It depends what adhering to the guidance means. With some guidance the rule is, it can broken but only for a good reason.

I say, call Blackpools bluff, put Dale in the squad tomorrow and then let Blackpool try and make a dispute out of it. Pretty sure they'll get short shrift from the league or FA.

Who else are they going to go crying to?

Just a shame our senior management were party to it in the first place.

Unless there is an almighty U-turn, Dale won’t be playing.

Des has already said he can’t play him, plus the official match preview says he won't be available against his former club.

Sounds like Critchley might be as out of step with the Senior Management at Blackpool as Des appears to be with the Senior Management at OUFC.

Critchley is (understandably) playing a straight bat on this one. AS far as he's concerned, we met their valuation, the player wanted the move - bish,bash,bosh - everyone's happy (supposedly).

Critchley is saying that his club hasn't made a plainly interdicted* agreement with Oxford. The worst you can say is that he's making a statement that won't damage his club. Whether there was an agreement or not, Blackpool officials are playing it 'business correctly'.

On the other hand, iirc Jerome was wittering about Dale not playing because of a 'gentleman's agreement' on a podcast a few days ago. Now Des Buckingham has deplored that he can't play Dale publicly. Stop Press: and now the OUFC website has confirmed Dale won't be in the squad.

Our CEO has experience as 'group finance controller' of the Man Utd Group**. Surely he is not unaware that gentleman's agreements aren't allowed? Perhaps he's too busy. Perhaps he believes that no publicity's bad publicity.

What a shambles.

* The rules say you're not allowed to make side agreements in transfer deals, being verbal is irrelevant.

** Presumably the Manchester based English football club rather than a tree-hugging fellowship.

Simplest solution for me is that Dale is allowed to play, but none of our players can deliberately pass him the ball.

Owen Moxon moved from Carlisle to Pompey before the deadline and they play each other tomorrow.

I’ll bet a pound to a penny that he’s in the Pompey squad.

Yeap, came on for the final 15 minutes.

I also just noticed that Niall Ennis scored today for Stoke at Blackburn - having joined the former from the latter on deadline day.

So whatever arrangement we had with Blackpool over Dale is looking increasingly irregular and unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom