Owen James and the dearth of strikers....

If a youth player is genuinely good enough, then play him. Sentimentality shouldn’t come into it. If our youth players aren’t as good as one we could loan or sign then so be it. The player Baptiste, was at Hampton and Richmond. He did quite well, without pulling up trees. How then can you justify playing him in a team 4 to 5 leagues higher, just because “he’s one of our own?”
Well obviously...

how can you pull up trees playing defensive midfield for Hampton and Richmond? - Imagine Martin Gray (oufc championship level) standing out massively at any level, Shandon has been part of a successful team on loan which counts for something so maybe KR would think that merits a try out (pre season).
Anyhoo - my earlier (pre willy gags) post was about seeing local lads making the first team - I should have specified them being there on merit (duh) otherwise I would have suggested I should play the Lundstrum role in our midfield next season - I can't play for sh*t and would probably collapse and puke after 20mins...but I would care about the club so that's ok ?

how can you pull up trees playing defensive midfield for Hampton and Richmond? - Imagine Martin Gray (oufc championship level) standing out massively at any level, Shandon has been part of a successful team on loan which counts for something so maybe KR would think that merits a try out (pre season).
Anyhoo - my earlier (pre willy gags) post was about seeing local lads making the first team - I should have specified them being there on merit (duh) otherwise I would have suggested I should play the Lundstrum role in our midfield next season - I can't play for sh*t and would probably collapse and puke after 20mins...but I would care about the club so that's ok ?

Any player in any position can be said to be pulling up trees; meaning to achieve impressive and significant things. To say someone has not been pulling up any trees means they have done anything of note.

He should have gone to a conference side to progress. In the couple of games I saw him at H & R, he blended in with the other players, in all honesty.

To make the eventual jump 4/5 leagues, and compete in a KR team, he is going to have to develop massively from where he is at the moment. The Joey Beauchamps, Callum O Dowds stood out from the rest at his age.

Any player in any position can be said to be pulling up trees; meaning to achieve impressive and significant things. To say someone has not been pulling up any trees means they have done anything of note.

He should have gone to a conference side to progress. In the couple of games I saw him at H & R, he blended in with the other players, in all honesty.

To make the eventual jump 4/5 leagues, and compete in a KR team, he is going to have to develop massively from where he is at the moment. The Joey Beauchamps, Callum O Dowds stood out from the rest at his age.

COD did not stand out when he was first in the team, he wasn't any different to Napa.

As for Joey, can you really remember his early time? I can vaguely remember a lot of talk of potential but he made little impact until after his loan spell at Swansea.

Mellowyellow, I get what you are saying and fair play you actually have seen him play, but maybe it's a bit harsh to say he been doing nothing of note - Shandon has been a regular in a team doing well, what more do you want?. I'm not saying he is the next Dean Whitehead or anything but he has done what has been expected of him on loan, and good on the lad, if he keeps it up then he may (MAY) have a chance at Oxford. Maybe my handle I'd misleading but I am a hopeless optimist and you are maybe a sober realist (actually at time of writing I'm becoming a pissed optimist) but hey ho: long may I have hopes for players coming through at Oxford - for after all...we are (as we all are aware) by FAR the greatest team the world has ever seen (please don't kill my buzz by being a realist on that statement ?)

Back
Top Bottom