Away Match Day Thread 27/04/2024: L1 - Exeter City v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, to clarify, we need 1 of 2 possible scenarios to qualify for the playoffs:

1) We beat Exeter, and either Lincoln (v Pompey) or Barnsley (v Cobblers) drop points.

2) We draw, either Lincoln or Barnsley lose, and Blackpool drop points (v Reading)

Is that correct?
Let's start with us winning and go from there! Not sure I can go through the whole game with one eye on scores elsewhere! FGR last season all over again! And, half the time couldn't get a signal on the phone!

Let's start with us winning and go from there! Not sure I can go through the whole game with one eye on scores elsewhere! FGR last season all over again! And, half the time couldn't get a signal on the phone!
I'll be at home (Gothenburg) with iFollow on the telly and the live text from all 3 other games on my laptop. Also notifications have been set for all of those other matches on my phone, in case one of the live text feeds goes down.

I've also got my trusted pen and paper to figure out what is needed as each score changes.

Just stuck a fiver on us to win by 5+ goals, Murphy to score and a brace for Harris.

Only way we can guarantee the play-offs is to win big and over-turn Lincoln’s GD. We know we can score goals, and Des wants to play attacking football, so why not right?!

Edit: had said promotion originally. One step at a time…

Last edited:
Days like today show how differently we are all wired as human beings. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being convinced we will make it or miss out, I think it’s purely a difference in how we like to process potential disappointment!

Let’s hope it’s not disappointment at all - there’s been some bizarre final days in the EFL over the years and it would be far from a miracle if we made it so there’s every chance, even if we have left it needlessly in the hands of the gods.

I personally didn’t love Des’ comments about keeping track of the scores to dictate what we do. We should be tunnel vision to win the game and leave nothing to chance.

Massive day - let’s just do our bit. πŸ’ͺ πŸ’›

Days like today show how differently we are all wired as human beings. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being convinced we will make it or miss out, I think it’s purely a difference in how we like to process potential disappointment!

Let’s hope it’s not disappointment at all - there’s been some bizarre final days in the EFL over the years and it would be far from a miracle if we made it so there’s every chance, even if we have left it needlessly in the hands of the gods.

I personally didn’t love Des’ comments about keeping track of the scores to dictate what we do. We should be tunnel vision to win the game and leave nothing to chance.

Massive day - let’s just do our bit. πŸ’ͺ πŸ’›
He was asked if the coaching team wd be keeping track and he only said IF there was a scenario where scores MIGHT affect things but very much said they'd be focussed on the game (but not in a Clotet kind of way we hope)

Just stuck a fiver on us to win by 5+ goals, Murphy to score and a brace for Harris.

Only way we can guarantee promotion is to win big and over-turn Lincoln’s GD. We know we can score goals, and Des wants to play attacking football, so why not right?!

Promotion? :ROFLMAO:

He was asked if the coaching team wd be keeping track and he only said IF there was a scenario where scores MIGHT affect things but very much said they'd be focussed on the game (but not in a Clotet kind of way we hope)
I know it’s picky, but to me it doesn’t really matter how slightly he might have meant it, I just believe we should be only thinking about winning the game regardless of events elsewhere. The psychology of β€˜a draw might do’ makes us very vulnerable. Apart from anything else a win could get us 5th rather than 6th so it’s well worth just concentrating on maximum points.

Any win will do if its not enough so be it ,I don't think I can remember such a season of ups and downs but its certainly not been like last year. So for that we must be grateful. But please one more massive effort, we love our club and a Huge thank you to everyone involved in it. Makes us proud.

Just boarded train for Exeter - fingers crossed as I crack open breakfast beer with some rather disapproving looks cast my way!!

Give us a report on the Full English ! ( No baked beans, hash browns or black pudding hopefully !) Yuk.
No hash brown but, bacon the thickness of a gammon steak(!) local sausage vine tomato(grilled) and a perfect poached egg plus beans & mushrooms. Had to send the coffee back - cold and the replacement will keep me awake for the rest of the day. Proper marmalade - maybe some good old Frank Cooper's thick cut, tasted like the real deal.
Mrs L went for smoked Pollock and poached egg - yes, I had to get her to repeat that! Also excellent according to her review.
Some times it's really worth spending a bit more and enjoying the whole weekend away for the footy. Next up, the train and cider!
And, of course, the footy. COYY's!!

Late tip for those getting local trains, download the GWR app and buy tickets on line - no ticket office at Topsham, probably not at St.James either. Experience of ticket machines is not good!

Just boarded train for Exeter - fingers crossed as I crack open breakfast beer with some rather disapproving looks cast my way!!
We left west Kernow at 8.30 by car, nice and early took no risk with the A30. Train was the backup plan. Good feelings on this one.

Portsmouth did us a favour in 2020- 2021 losing at home to Accrington 0-1;) Big positive for me, massive progress on 12 months ago. Whatever happens I shall be renewing my season ticket. (hopefully for Championship football )

Do our part and I'll be happy.

It's been a completely odd season on and off the pitch

I just got a feeling that us and Lincoln will make it and Barnsley will miss out.
We have to better Barnsley’s result cos I can’t see Lincoln not beating Pompey.

Back
Top Bottom