Away Match Day Thread 23/12/2023 L1: Northampton Town v OUFC

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bowie outjumped Brown to head against the post , then Bowie outjumps Moore for the first goal. Brown beaten in the air by Simpson for the winner at the back stick.

To be fair they were three good balls into the box that we could not cope with.

Last edited:
This passing the ball around waiting for a killer pass Des Ball is so frustrating when played against teams we should on paper be beating. Just have a go at them for goodness sake.

However, people need to keep in mind that a major factor for Des currently is trying to put a side together that gels with the number of players out injured.

Des needs to be supported and if a new striker or preferably two can be brought in next month I think he can still achieve a top seven finish.

Have you actually read this thread?

Not much sign of delusion or arrogance, just the realisation that things aren’t going well at the moment, magnified by the fact that on todays showing we have lost against a poor side.

Anyway, enjoy your Christmas. Hope Santa brings you lots of goodies.

User name is a bit sick by the way.
In fairness to the Cobblers fan, Jim Hall was a striker in the 70’s who played for Peterboro and Northampton.

This passing the ball around waiting for a killer pass Des Ball is so frustrating when played against teams we should on paper be beating. Just have a go at them for goodness sake.

However, people need to keep in mind that a major factor for Des currently is trying to put a side together that gels with the number of players out injured.

Des needs to be supported and if a new striker or preferably two can be brought in next month I think he can still achieve a top seven finish.
What gives that confidence? Honestly my dear beloved Gran could not do any worse

Very disappointing performance and result. We rarely threatened and gave away two very poor goals.

Under Manning we were an ultra-coached, almost robotic team, and I think Buckingham has tried to give the players a bit more freedom, but in doing so has exposed the weaknesses in the team/squad.

It almost goes without saying that January is going to make or break our season. If we don't address the gaping holes in the squad, we will not make the playoffs.

I'd give Harris 1 for running around a lot. I'm beginning to think GO'D isn't even going to make it in L2. He offers nothing. His stupid foul today cost us the game.
GOD is conference at best, Mills just awful today Harris is league 2 at best very poor all round today midfield just disappeared and if they been working on that all week then we are not making the top six and in trouble

GOD is conference at best, Mills just awful today Harris is league 2 at best very poor all round today midfield just disappeared and if they been working on that all week then we are not making the top six and in trouble
Agree that Mills wasn’t great but as my son said without his penalty today or assists recently we’d be even worse, if that’s possible!

Last edited:
Well that was entertaining. You looked off your game today.
Your recruitment is none of my business but Des Buckingham does look like a bloke you met down the pub that used to play a bit rather than a football manager.
See you on the 20th
Merry Christmas

My take after watching that….
1st 20 minutes I thought Northampton offered nothing and were just happy to soak up the pressure, were hard to break down and we didn’t seem to have an answer. Murphy had their right back on toast but just couldn’t get that final ball in.
It was at this point I said to my mate that we will either batter them or lose it 1-0.
They got the early goal in the 2nd half and for the 1st time in a while we didn’t react to going behind and almost seemed in shock.
After the penalty it was all us but again, sloppy around the box and we left ourselves exposed to the counter attack.
Stupid foul from GOD and clever, experienced play from Hylton.
A massive blow but not the end of the world, just makes the Cambridge and Derby games that bit more important and I’m hoping at least 4 points from these games.

On a note of the Northampton commentators, before the game they were hoping for a draw and seemed quite worried. They then decided half way through the game that they should be 3 or 4 nil up which I found laughable. The biggest thing though for me was them wetting themselves everytime one of the Northampton players hit a long diagonal ball to one of their players like it was Brazil. If that is great football from them then I’d hate to watch them when they are poor!

I still think we will make the play offs but we are going to have to get back to going on a decent run again soon, along with bringing in probably 3-4 new players in the new year.

Thanks for posting that, I’m even more depressed now than at the game.
The concept of attacking a cross and marking players seems lost on both Moore and Brown, I know I’m in the minority on here but thought both of them were equally shite today.
Also I don’t get the tactic of Beadle, even when not under pressure, rolling the ball to Moore when he’s facing our own goal. We did it so often today it looked deliberate. With Moore not having the best of turning circles it’s all a bit odd.
Confirmed you don’t know much about football

One thing that is concerning me more and more is how much money seems to be being thrown at the club/team, without it actually seeming like there is any noticeable gain in terms of likelihood of promotion. And I suspect many fans are just hoping even more money is thrown in in January. I can see us in real trouble soon. And not just in terms of position in the table. How much do we lose every season?

Brian Clough the best way to defend is attack ,that isn't happening and keep giving them chances ,I hope he plays the Leeds lad or is on the bench if it's God iam not watching. Totally depressed

One thing that is concerning me more and more is how much money seems to be being thrown at the club/team, without it actually seeming like there will be any noticeable gain in terms of league position. And I suspect many fans are just hoping even more money is thrown in in January. I can see us in real trouble soon. And not just in terms of position in the table. How much do we lose every season?
This is a good point and one that does concern me.
We were willing to pay £650k for Marriott in the summer but our ways of bringing money in are limited.
so while on size of the club we are probably in the top 10 in the league but without much way of actually getting money in apart from the ticket sales, club shop and player sales.

Last year we lost 4.2 million which the owners funded.

John Eustace was the man for me, but TW and GF have gone for the Local lad. He was many peoples choice on here, I wonder how many of them that wanted Desmond, are having second thoughts.

The season is falling apart quickly, and we are going downwards before the Xmas decorations.

My first impressions are that this club will not be getting out of this league, in fact we look far more likely to stagnate in Lge 1 forever. This club should have appointed a far more experienced manager, but I will remain a little more patient with Des, but Jesus Christ man get a f*****g grip.

John Eustace was the man for me, but TW and GF have gone for the Local lad. He was many peoples choice on here, I wonder how many of them that wanted Desmond, are having second thoughts.

The season is falling apart quickly, and we are going downwards before the Xmas decorations.

My first impressions are that this club will not be getting out of this league, in fact we look far more likely to stagnate in Lge 1 forever. This club should have appointed a far more experienced manager, but I will remain a little more patient with Des, but Jesus Christ man get a f*****g grip.
Personally, given the position we were in at the time and the unusual situation of looking for a manager when a team is doing well, I agree, I would have gone for Eustace but we didn’t and Des is the man the board chose.

Given time I think Des will actually do quite well but I feel he certainly needs to have at least the January window before we judge him. He has come in to a squad that was in the middle of a rebuild and even Manning was going to need another window to really complete this squad. The problem Des has is that he has come into that rebuild but with someone else’s squad.

Back
Top Bottom