Home Match Day Thread 23/01/21 L1 - OUFC v Bristol Rovers

Could see we were rusty in the first 10 mins. Then we started getting in to the game. Great corner led to the first goal and maybe we we're unlucky not to go in at half time with a more healthy lead. Rovers came out second half fighting and we scored our second just at the right time. A wonderful save from Stevens preserved our lead. Once Winnal came on it just wasn't clicking between him and the midfield and Rovers were looking dangerous but then Karl chucked Agyei on and we looked alot more threatening going forward and this stopped the onslaught from Rovers.

Rovers looked like they are too good to go down in my opinion, definitely had more than the scum, Northampton and Burton. Big result for us and we are now 9 points clear of the relegation spots and only 6 points from the play offs. 😝

Taylor’s second was a touch of class
EsbtOZwWMAIg8G3

Just what the doctor ordered - unremarkable, solid performance, never at our best but still good enough to win.

Defence so solid, what a change from earlier in the season. We never looked like conceding - even at the end where they had a couple of half chances. Difficult to single any one of them out as they're such an effective unit, but Stevens is so good. He's not just 'better than Eastwood', he's actually a really good L1 goalkeeper. Controls his box so well, really good shotstopper, and not afraid to get lippy either which I like, and you don't often see in young players, let alone young goalkeepers.

Brannagan predictably faded but that was a really exciting performance. Great to have him back. Shodipo I thought was great. His end product wasn't always there but he seems to be taking more responsibility and working harder than when he arrived. Taylor was clearly fired up, put his chances away brilliantly. He's come back into form after a poor start to the year - if he'd been that clinical against Swindon we'd be singing '8 in a row' come our visit to the County Ground in a few weeks time.

It was so important to win today. The result would basically determine whether we could see the last three weeks as a season-disrupting roadblock or a recuperating-mid-season-break, and, with it now looking like a welcome break, you would think that would see us in good stead going into football twice a week for the next three months or so. Results elsewhere were almost universally good for us as well. A pretty perfect Saturday - the injury to MacGuane aside. Really worried about that.

What were the big decisions that went against them? Nowt wrong with the 1st goal as definitely onside as shown by the replay, their 3 (or who was out on the left of their backline) kept Snake onside for the 2nd. There wasn't any bad challenges that I can think of and the Ref got the bookings spot on for me for both sides. Rovers fans are doing some epic straw clutching if they are trying to divert any blame on to the Ref.

No, I totally agree... but just pointing out that we have reacted similarly to defeats that were no ones fault but our own.

We won fair and square today... no iffy ref decisions.

To beat a manager as sharply dressed as Tisdale is always pleasing. If you can stand up and be counted against a fashionista of his experience then it bodes well.

Now to push on and get Mousinho in a waistcoat while he’s still got his physique. Do that and this season is wide open.

To beat a manager as sharply dressed as Tisdale is always pleasing. If you can stand up and be counted against a fashionista of his experience then it bodes well.

Now to push on and get Mousinho in a waistcoat while he’s still got his physique. Do that and this season is wide open.
I think a Fez would really suit KR.

Could see we were rusty in the first 10 mins. Then we started getting in to the game. Great corner led to the first goal and maybe we we're unlucky not to go in at half time with a more healthy lead. Rovers came out second half fighting and we scored our second just at the right time. A wonderful save from Stevens preserved our lead. Once Winnal came on it just wasn't clicking between him and the midfield and Rovers were looking dangerous but then Karl chucked Agyei on and we looked alot more threatening going forward and this stopped the onslaught from Rovers.

Rovers looked like they are too good to go down in my opinion, definitely had more than the scum, Northampton and Burton. Big result for us and we are now 9 points clear of the relegation spots and only 6 points from the play offs. 😝
up to the heady heights of 11th place in L1 now :sneaky:

If you ever want to cheer yourself up think that instead of has beens like Duberry thinking he is doing us a favour the last few years has seen us have young centre half’s like Dunkley, Nelson, Dickie and now Moore and Atkinson play for us, that and alcohol abuse is getting me through lock down 300.

If we’re honest the last 10 mins were a bit nervy maybe took our foot off the ball a bit, something to work on but overall we deserved the win.

Back
Top Bottom