Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of Findlay I hope he signs or it will become another Nicky Cadden scenario with the usual suspects proclaiming were in for him.

I think that having two players for each position is far too simplistic and actually reduces balance.

We have predominantly played with one upfront so have Taylor and Baldock, but everyone would expect a third striker.

We then have players like Browne, Bodin, Henry and (if he signs) Whyte who do not have A position but can play wide, more centrally, or in a no.10 role. If we simply had two wide left, 2 wide right, then the would likely reduce the options available to us and force us into only playing one way.

As was pointed out before, we're looking to set our squad up in much the same way as MApp did in our promotion season from league two, and that is often lorded as a time when we got things far better than we do now.

I agree that having two like for like players in each position is fantasy, we aren't Manchester City where £200,000 a week helps soften the blow of the bench or missing out on the match day squad all together. I said earlier in the thread that you want some really strong cover down the spine of the team but in most of the other positions you can mix and match and put out a fairly well balanced side. Having two out and out full backs of equal quality is unrealistic when you can have someone like Brown who can play in a variety of positions across the defence while freeing up space somewhere else for a more match winning type of player.

Bristol Rovers sign John Marquis. Wonder what that means for their Norwood deal.

Nicky Cadden off to Barnsley
That’s annoying, though he’s just a name as I’ve never seen him play. Presumably it’s just down to money, as I wouldn’t expect Barnsley to be that much more attractive than us, despite their championship record

That’s annoying, though he’s just a name as I’ve never seen him play. Presumably it’s just down to money, as I wouldn’t expect Barnsley to be that much more attractive than us, despite their championship record
Think Barnsley would be much more attractive than us for that very reason tbh

I mean , Charlton or Pompey might appeal more than us as bigger clubs with better grounds, but Barnsley? Anyway he’s said to be a very attacking wingback and I’d rather we found a proper defensive left back

If we are playing full backs rather than wing backs, then I'm not sure Nicky Cadden would have fit anyway. Not to say I wouldn't have minded him signing.

Today has been a big bad news day on the targets front, but there have been plenty of those in the past and there will be plenty more in the future. Every club has a particularly difficult window once in a while. It can turn quickly in either direction - you miss a couple you thought were likely today and you get a couple you thought were out of reach the next.

Fingers crossed for a good news day in the next week. Players will sign sooner or later, regardless of whether they were first choice or a little further down the pecking order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom