Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Lincoln fan I spoke to suggested that they couldn't afford him
Lincoln hardly had a pot to P**s in last season. Covid walloped them and their budget went from 12th when they got to the playoff final to significantly lower, plus Appleton had his cancer diagnosis. They couldn’t even fill their bench on a good number of occasions.

They will do well just to stay up next season.

Losing McNally was the big change. With his ability to walk the ball out if the defence we could play a three whilst also having someone who could direct play from the back. The fact that he went for a few quid shows that there aren't many like him around and it probably make sense to plan for a back 4 instead. That doesn't necessarily mean that we won't still have attacking fullbacks like we had with Ruffels and Long a couple of seasons ago, but being more solid isn't a bad thing either.
I agree about the quality of McNally but playing three at the back is a common modern formation with lots of CBs being able to play there. I always thought we needed flexibility in the way we play and the idea that three at the back is now gone, with the sale of one player is odd.

What you’ll like to hear then is it’s a player who’s rated far far far more than him.
I’m behind on this one.

Are you suggesting we have agreed a loan for a very highly rated younger player? If so, what position? I did have brief look back through older post. But to be perfectly honest that’s fairly tedious on this thread!

I'm just going to wait and see where we are and what players have signed and what players have left once the window is shut to decide how good or how bad it's been

333 pages and you are just going to "wait & see" ?

What is this blasphemy?? :ROFLMAO:

I agree about the quality of McNally but playing three at the back is a common modern formation with lots of CBs being able to play there. I always thought we needed flexibility in the way we play and the idea that three at the back is now gone, with the sale of one player is odd.

Findlay played in a back 3 yesterday, Moore, Brown and Long have all played centrally in a 3. Long and Seddon have also played as full backs in a 5. So we can play that way if we want, but there's no denying that McNally gave us an extra dimension in that formation that is not easily replaced.

We should look to play to our strengths THIS season not what our strengths were last season, but that doesn't mean that we have to become one dimensional. As I said in the most you responded to, Long and Ruffels were probably the most effective full backs in the league 2 years back whilst playing in a 4. Cambridge last season was the brutally attack minded game I've seen us play in a long time, with 4 at the back but Ryan Williams our most attacking player as the right back that day.

Flexibility is about how we play with the players we have rather than the football manager fixation with formations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom