Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we actually had another decent right back to compete with Long, some of the rose tinted glasses for long may come off when they see what the alternative is
From memory, I might be wrong, when Long started playing regularly and then got player of the year there was competition. Maybe he is the type of player that needs competition to push him on. Competition is healthy
and all of that!

Any announcements today do we think? Medicals passed yesterday allowing paperwork to be signed and pictures holding up the shirt taken and editing for publishing later today perhaps?

The Long debate is a long one but my opinion changed on talking to a L1 scout - teams were targeting our right side because they saw some weaknesses in his positioning which have been made worse due to the illness and injury. There was also a lot raised about his stellar season being assisted by having James Henry infront of him, They made a fantastic partnership that season, its one of those moments players gel and cover each other perfectly.

When Henry was replaced by Sykes due to injury, Sykes didn't provide the same level of cover, which exposed Sam's movement and teams wanted to expose us there. Look at the highlight reels from last season, the oppo totally lean on pressure on that right side.

Sam is a local lad, decent squad player and good CB cover. He's a decent L1 RB. But we need excellent players in each position to push ahead.

I know it hurts his mates on here but there we go.

Any announcements today do we think? Medicals passed yesterday allowing paperwork to be signed and pictures holding up the shirt taken and editing for publishing later today perhaps?

That goalkeeper is suppose to be playing for Sligo tonight away at Motherwell i think? As for the others, surely they will be announced before Saturdays game.

Last edited:
The Long debate is a long one but my opinion changed on talking to a L1 scout - teams were targeting our right side because they saw some weaknesses in his positioning which have been made worse due to the illness and injury. There was also a lot raised about his stellar season being assisted by having James Henry infront of him, They made a fantastic partnership that season, its one of those moments players gel and cover each other perfectly.

When Henry was replaced by Sykes due to injury, Sykes didn't provide the same level of cover, which exposed Sam's movement and teams wanted to expose us there. Look at the highlight reels from last season, the oppo totally lean on pressure on that right side.

Sam is a local lad, decent squad player and good CB cover. He's a decent L1 RB. But we need excellent players in each position to push ahead.

I know it hurts his mates on here but there we go.

No room for sentiment in professional football. If upgrades are available then they should be targeted.

The Sam Long debate is interesting. I used to be of the opinion that he was never going to make it at this level - League 2 at best. However, in the 20/21 season he really proved me wrong and he became a dependable and solid right back at this level. He was clearly helped by having James Henry in front of him and Ruffles on the other side - that team had real balance going forwards and defending. We really noticed when he wasn't available due to injury.

That said, he was not at his best last season when playing at right back. He seemed lethargic, positioning wasn't great and the timing of his tackle wasn't as good as it usually is. For people complaining about his pace, I don't see that. A couple of seasons back, he was coming top in all the club's speed tests, I just think he doesn't look fast if that makes sense.

If we think back to the start of last season, he started injured then contracted COVID. Who knows what impact that has had on him - COVID can affect you for a long time. It could have reduced his stamina and energy levels. It would be interesting to know his stats from last year. I think he definitely improved when he was moved into part of a back three. He didn't have to run as much, he could attack the ball and his heading was immense.

Comparing him to Cadden, Kenny and Baldock is unfair - he is a different type of right back. The team was set up to allow those players to flourish, whereas this one isn't. I think we do need to aspire to have a better right back, but this full on criticism of Long is uncalled for. I think we should be using Long as part of a back three with Findlay and Moore with a Cadden type as a wing back (I even think Forde could do a decent job there).

Do you think Karl picks Long week in week out and keeps giving him new contracts because he’s a β€˜local lad’ or do you think it has something to do with him being a solid, dependable right back who would run through brick walls for him? I also agree we could have a more attacking option down that side that suits our style of play better, but the grass is not always greener (Sean Clare, Cameron Norman etc.) and who has always come in and made that shirt his own again when we have tried other options and failed?

The Long and Seddon debate here is because we need RB and LB cover, the discussion is pretty relevant.

Also, there's thousands of threads on here in the wrong topic - I'm not too fussed about filing them in the right place but I know that a lot of folks love that kind of tidying up

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of announcements tomorrow. The media team like to put signings out in clusters where possible and it would allow all of the final bits needed to register players to be done, players interviewed, Robinson having his say, and some creativity in how they're announced.

As we speak Chris Williams is probably already downloading Mr Jones by Counting Crows, digging out the old Orange shirt for our mystery Dutch signing and practicing the line, "we've lost a few players from Ireland this summer, but this one's a keeper!" before the McGinty reveal! Of course, any mystery tattoos or distinctive haircuts will also help with slightly blurred training photos, and I wouldn't put it past them to tempt us in with an away sock reveal too!

Exciting times ahead!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom