Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a lot of our defensive problems came down both of our wings, seddon got rightly criticised and the same happened on the right hand side with Long, difference is long is an Oxford boy. He just is not good enough as a RB/WB or whatever you would call the position. He is a better CB than he is Wingback, he gets found out with his lack of pace. That is just my opinion.
And it's my opinion that you're wrong.

Quite a lot of our defensive problems came down both of our wings, seddon got rightly criticised and the same happened on the right hand side with Long, difference is long is an Oxford boy. He just is not good enough as a RB/WB or whatever you would call the position. He is a better CB than he is Wingback, he gets found out with his lack of pace. That is just my opinion.
But the 2020/21 season he was immense and personally I think he should have had the goal of the season award.

Last edited:
Long was at fault for many of our defensive problems last season. He is not a good Right back. I would prefer him as an option at CB but to get promoted we need a better option than him at RB. He’s just not good enough & wouldn’t be if we got promoted and that’s how we should be recruiting players now
He was one of the best players in the league the season before last, the match of his opposite number who got a move to the championship. Not so good last season due to illness and injury.

But theb2019/20 season he was immense and personally I think he should have had the goal of the season award.
He was, but he hasn’t been that same player since then. He wouldn’t be good enough as a championship RB/WB, he’s good as a backup but we need better if we want to get promoted. I’ll admit I’m wrong and stand corrected if he proves me wrong, I just don’t think he’s a top level RB/WB at league 1 level. That is where our main weaknesses lie in the Wingback positions

The comment from YellowForever about Seddon/Long is spot on I’m afraid. You sit there watching Seddon get dogs abuse on here and in the ground last season and you think, “Long is exactly the same”. Don’t get me wrong, Long has done very well in his career to stay at this level for this length of time, teams target him and any half decent winger absolutely rips him a new one. I’d love if he was to prove me wrong, but been waiting for 6 seasons for it to happen. Time to upgrade.

He was one of the best players in the league the season before last, the match of his opposite number who got a move to the championship. Not so good last season due to illness and injury.
Time moves on as does the game of football. wingbacks are now required to be more dynamic and have more pace and power. Something he struggles to match with those at the top level, compare him & Wes Burns for an example. There is no comparison between the two. Both play pretty much the same position.

Time moves on as does the game of football. wingbacks are now required to be more dynamic and have more pace and power. Something he struggles to match with those at the top level, compare him & Wes Burns for an example. There is no comparison between the two. Both play pretty much the same position.
He’s not a wingback though and we’re unlikely to play that system

The comment from YellowForever about Seddon/Long is spot on I’m afraid. You sit there watching Seddon get dogs abuse on here and in the ground last season and you think, “Long is exactly the same”. Don’t get me wrong, Long has done very well in his career to stay at this level for this length of time, teams target him and any half decent winger absolutely rips him a new one. I’d love if he was to prove me wrong, but been waiting for 6 seasons for it to happen. Time to upgrade.
Wouldn’t mind him as a CB as I believe it covers his deficiencies but he doesn’t have the pace as a wingback & like you say. Gets found out by half decent wingers at this level.

He was, but he hasn’t been that same player since then. He wouldn’t be good enough as a championship RB/WB, he’s good as a backup but we need better if we want to get promoted. I’ll admit I’m wrong and stand corrected if he proves me wrong, I just don’t think he’s a top level RB/WB at league 1 level. That is where our main weaknesses lie in the Wingback positions
He had an illness which affected him he also had covid and suffered quite bad. So you keep him for another season to see if he can rediscover his form

He’s not a wingback though and we’re unlikely to play that system
He plays as a RB & doesn’t go past halfway most of the time. Yet he still gets caught too high up the pitch and out of position. I don’t criticise for the sake of it. Like some have said, two seasons ago he was quality. But he has regressed and we need to aim for better if we want to challenge for the top 6

He had an illness which affected him he also had covid and suffered quite bad. So you keep him for another season to see if he can rediscover his form
Like I’ve said, I would keep him as a back up & also can be used as a CB which I believe cover up his deficiencies and his lack of pace. Especially in a 3. I will gladly be proved wrong but if he plays as our first choice right back this season & seddon on the other side, we will be no better than mid table.

Did you not see his goal against Plymouth or his assists at Burton

Did you not see his goal against Plymouth or his assists at Burton
Everyone has things they do good. No player is perfect but the amount of times he got skinned and lost a player running in behind was ridiculous last season. He reads the game better as a CB. Not as a RB. I could probably go back through last season and make about 12-15 goals he was personally or partly responsible for last season with mistakes or being out of position. Something a above average player in his position wouldn’t be. He’s a Bicester boy & an Oxford lad through and through & im not saying just chuck him on the scrap heap but if we want promotion. Having him as our first choice right back won’t cut it. Sometimes you have to cut out sentiment to improve. Something I think KR struggles with at times.

Interesting observing this debate about Sam Long. It could almost - post for post - just as easily be about Jack Stevens.
I have the same opinion about Stevens last season as well. I can think of maybe 1 or 2 games he won us last season. Sheff Wed (A) being one. But apart from that I think he was beaten far too easily on quite a few occasions. Had we had MK Dons keeper last season we would of probably won about 10 more points.

Long is decent but he should have decent competition at right back, not Forde. As we saw with Seddon last season, if you don't have other fullbacks to rotate you risk burning out your only decent options there. I'm hoping we will learn from these mistakes.

Long is decent but he should have decent competition at right back, not Forde. As we saw with Seddon last season, if you don't have other fullbacks to rotate you risk burning out your only decent options there. I'm hoping we will learn from these mistakes.
Agreed on this. Need 2 in each position. Seddon started off really well but got burnt out quickly due to his style of play & also playing 90 minutes every week, sometimes twice a week. With how we want our LB/RB/WB’s to play, we need proper cover and 2 quality players who are able to cope with both the attacking and defensive sides of the games. Guess we will see what KR’s next moves will be in the transfer market whether he thinks the same. If we don’t get cover in both RB/LB areas. We will struggle. That’s just a fact. Forde should be a last resort. Not back up for Long, who should be back up himself for a RB like Norton Cuffy from arsenal as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom