Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a squad game - it is all about balance. You need a blend of experience and the fearlessness of youth to go anywhere. Both equally valuable in my eyes.
I completely agree. But the question was: are untried Prem youngsters as likely to be able to hit the ground running and are they as likely to be a success as established players? That's is *not* to say that we shouldn't take a punt on a couple of young loanees (or indeed that we shouldn't promote one or two of our own youth into the first team 22 if they are promising enough) - I think we definitely *should*.

Honestly… Good effort but save your breath. There is quite literally no point trying to generate any excitement it seems. Some of the reaction I’ve seen to this rumour makes me cringe.

6 weeks of non-stop whinging and saying ‘anybody will do’… A rumour pops up linking us with one of the best young talents in the country and we’re moping about because he’s only played a handful of games in the premier league and champions league 😂. So Jurgen Klopp trusts him at the San Siro but some here won’t trust him at the Jonny-Rocks?! I know it’s only one player but they don’t arrive in 4s and 5s - you get one at a time. I honestly despair.

But sure… we’re short on players so send me Steven Sessegnon for a detour on his way down the pyramid instead if it changes the mood around here.
People aren’t necessarily moaning, just some are saying he’s not a ‘wow’ signing, but hopefully a good addition to the squad as a relatively unknown at this level.

Spot the difference.

And when he signs for someone else there will be a meltdown on here
There would be a meltdown or you could say disappointment, but that would be based on our poor window to date and if true another one choosing not to sign for us for whatever reason, but I certainly wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Spot the difference?

Derby are doing just what Wigan done the season after they nearly went bust it's a joke how can the EFL allow them to be spending so.much on wages
They are capped (rumoured to be 8k per week) and had to provide a business plan. As long as these deals meet those criteria, there is nothing up.

Pretty ludicrous signing at this level. Let alone for a club that couldn’t pay its players’ wages, what, two months ago?
Yes but two months ago they were in administration, now they're not, and have a reasonable financial backer.
As well as new sponsorship deals in place, season ticket revenue about to drop.
Comparing to a couple of months ago is pretty much irrelevant in trying to understand the situation now as two entirely different backgrounds

Yes but two months ago they were in administration, now they're not, and have a reasonable financial backer.
Comparing to a couple of months ago is pretty much irrelevant in trying to understand the situation now as two entirely different situations.
I thought we had big financial backers too?

I completely agree. But the question was: are untried Prem youngsters as likely to be able to hit the ground running and are they as likely to be a success as established players? That's is *not* to say that we shouldn't take a punt on a couple of young loanees (or indeed that we shouldn't promote one or two of our own youth into the first team 22 if they are promising enough) - I think we definitely *should*.
You could make arguments either way. I wouldn’t say this is an exact science. For every experienced pro there is also a Jude Bellingham or a Phil Foden (extreme examples). In the case of younger players it is all about their character - how brave are they? How mature? How do they react to mistakes? A player with no ‘damage’ or inhibitions is arguably just as likely slot in at this level. Its a good standard of football for that. The higher up you go, the harder that is. It’s hard to believe Jude Bellingham came out of Birmingham City but he has that no-fear approach to the game and does it with a maturity that is extremely rare. At 18 he’s outperforming players with 5/600 more games under their belts. He’s special but just using him to make that point.

I’m not underestimating the value of experience and it’s likely a more seasoned pro will be more relaxed, they’ll be more accustom to a men’s dressing room and playing 3 intense games a week but again, if you can find the young guns with Premier League ability who are mentally ready for that and just need the minutes, they’re worth their weight in gold.

Yes but that doesn't mean they're going to throw their own cash at it does it.

In Derby's case, the new owner doesn't immediately have to dispatch with tons of his own cash, the income the club brings in helps fund immediate expenidture.
Pushing towards 20k season tickets brings in a hell of a lot more revenue than our 5k season tickets, sponsorship deals are bigger, every income is bigger.
So your immediate foundations for being able to spend are higher.

I see an 18 year old holding midfielder who has played 3 games for Man City has just moved to Southampton for £10 million plus add one of £3 million, which puts into perspective the idea of us getting a very similar player from a very similar club on loan, it would be a wow signing but it’s very unlikely to happen.

I’d be stunned if today’s signings are on £8,000 a week or less.

Their agreed wage cap must be far higher.

Only thing I can see is they’ve agreed that the squad average weekly wage will be 8k and these are their marquee signings.
Exactly, so either way, they're not going to be doing anything untoward (based on what the EFL has set out).
Regardless of whether we deem it as splashing cash or not.
Given the EFL has been that heavy on them in recent times for financial irregularity, I'd be very surprised if they were attempting to go beyond the caps set for them.

I see an 18 year old holding midfielder who has played 3 games for Man City has just moved to Southampton for £10 million plus add one of £3 million, which puts into perspective the idea of us getting a very similar player from a very similar club on loan, it would be a wow signing but it’s very unlikely to happen.
Gavin Bazunu, the keeper Pompey had on loan from Man City last season, has moved to Southampton for £12M plus another potential £3M in add-ons. This despite never appearing for Man City in a single game. The money at that level is mental.

Yep, that's why they are financing a stadium project that will cost in excess of £100m

Some Premier League clubs have rich owners, but they don't all chuck silly money around and usually work within their means, which is a sustainable way of doing it. The only owner I can really remember doing that is Abramovich, who was happy enough to keep making massive losses and Chelsea as a result was built on extremely shaky foundations.

That's why Bakrie said last year that 'there are quick ways' to do it (throwing crazy money around) when the foundations of the club are not in place. Or building 'brick by brick', which is basically what they are doing with the stadium.

Usually if you spend your way to the top without those foundations in place, you plummet back down to the bottom just as quick. You only have to look at our own history to see that.

Last edited:
Comparing to a couple of months ago is pretty much irrelevant in trying to understand the situation now as two entirely different backgrounds
No I know, I’m not suggesting there’s anything underhand or illicit about it. We of all clubs can’t complain about owners bringing out the chequebook to fund the business. Something about it does just stick in the craw a bit.

David McGoldrick and James Chester added this lunchtime, too!

We could have Bill Gates and Elon Musk on the board, but we can still only spend a percentage of our turnover.

Derby will (at a complete guess) have 3x as many season ticket sales as us, and significantly more income. It's that simple.

The owners are demonstrating that they are prepared to spend (training ground, stadium, staff).

Gavin Bazunu, the keeper Pompey had on loan from Man City last season, has moved to Southampton for £12M plus another potential £3M in add-ons. This despite never appearing for Man City in a single game. The money at that level is mental.

We take a gamble with players from the Irish league spending £150k and receiving £2m.

The Championship clubs take a gamble with a league 1 player spending £2m and selling for £12m.

Lower end PL clubs take a gamble with a Championship player spending £12m and selling for £30m.

Top end PL clubs spend £30m to provide cover for the £60m player!

We're all part of the game that is obscene at every level!

They are capped (rumoured to be 8k per week) and had to provide a business plan. As long as these deals meet those criteria, there is nothing up.
1657109621645.png

That makes a complete mockery of just about everything.
How? Derby need to sign players, and this is a free transfer. They have a new owner and are now out of administration, and are still working within the confines of a transfer embargo. A player who played 29 times in the Championship side last season signing for a side recently-relegated from that division isn't all that surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom