Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best centre back in League One was just sold for £1.5m, I'm not sure what you expect to sell players for at league one level? Especially a player who has only had one promising season...
£1.6m is peanuts to a club like Burnley. We should have said the price is £3m + add ons take it or leave it. But we have no ambition except to stay afloat at the moment.

I honestly don't know how some posters deal with everyday life judging by the meltdown following a tweet or photo of a man bun!!

We've already turned down a big of £1.75m for McNally so the bid is either higher than that or has significantly better add ons. As has also been pointed out, this is about the going rate for a top end league 1 defender anyway, so anything extra is a bonus rather than a deal done on the cheap.

As for players like Mous or Jodi Jones being in the squad, this will likely be on top of a couple of younger players that won't count towards the 22. We saw last season that Mous can do a job if needed and he will complete the same rigorous fitness tests as everyone else.

Jodi Jones (if owner of said Man Bun) was fit to play last season but not selected. Of course he's had some bad injuries but they will be thoroughly tested, not just through a medical but through the rigours of a pre-season trial which is exactly what we would want. If fit, and anywhere near the form he had previously shown then he'll be a real asset for very little money.

Our transfer window will not be defined by untried youngsters or players off the scrap heap. Anyone thinking otherwise perhaps needs a head wobble themselves.
Some of the comments seem more extreme than normal?

2nd time you compare apples with pears.

Clarke had 2 league two campaigns, two league one campaigns and a handful of games in the championship before that move. He may not have got the accolade of best player but he was outstanding. He played every minute of his last league season with Pompey which ended with a play off final. He also won an EFL trophy. He was instrumental for his clubs over a long period.

If you want to make your point, make it with a proper comparison. Find a player who moved for more than McNally after 30 games in this country. I haven’t looked - there might be one. But plucking out any old defender that went for more is meaningless.

I was comparing Darling going from MK to Swansea, and supposedly the best defender last season. Clarke wasn’t the best defender when he went for £3m

Perhaps we are just not very good at selling our best players, like mediocre Pompey, and Peterborough etc.

Same. I’m going to compile all of the best ones into a single image, laminate a nice sheet of A4 paper, bang it on a 1980’s style dinner try, and eat my humble pie off of it!
If we finish mid table will you admit you were wrong? 4th season of regression in a row.

Like I said before KR will be sacked by either a poor start or Christmas unless he pulls a few rabbits out of the hat 👒

He will only be gone at Christmas if we are sitting in the bottom half and realistically out of contention for even the play offs. The club have invested too much in him, in just about every way, to make flippant, panicky decisions. He will get the full term for as long as we are there or thereabouts.

Talk about premature.
Let's see who we sign first?

I did say may grow . I posted it in the hope Karl or someone at the club is reading this thread so they can pull their finger out and sign some bloody players 😀

I was comparing Darling going from MK to Swansea, and supposedly the best defender last season. Clarke wasn’t the best defender when he went for £3m

Perhaps we are just not very good at selling our best players, like mediocre Pompey, and Peterborough etc.
Peterborough are arguably one of the best selling clubs in the country - perhaps behind Brentford.

I’m not sure what the situation was with Darling but that could easily have been a release clause because MK Dons are no mugs.

Peterborough are arguably one of the best selling clubs in the country - perhaps behind Brentford.

I’m not sure what the situation was with Darling but that could easily have been a release clause because MK Dons are no mugs.
Their recruitment campaign is a dam sight better than ours with the money they are making from this transfer window

£1.6m is peanuts to a club like Burnley. We should have said the price is £3m + add ons take it or leave it. But we have no ambition except to stay afloat at the moment.
Bet McNally would have been delighted with this. It's so easy to say 'don't sell unless they offer x' without taking the player into account. It's a chance to add an extra 0 onto his wages, to work with Vincent Kompany and to be at a club that were recently in the Premier League.

Also every club negotiates prices, including us. Because if we didn't, a 'take it or leave it' approach would be adopted by every club we try to sign players from, making bringing in players even more difficult. It's swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.

Last edited:

We as a club are on par with Peterborough atm, but they get maximum return on there investments, where we seem to accept a deal, that seems pretty poor on a young starlet, that has the world at his feet, and we as a club should be extracting more from these clubs that have more than enough money. Otherwise we will continue to tread water!

If we have ambitions of going up then you must do these things to reinvest, and bring in better talented players to move upwards. Which is what Brentford have done over a number of years, and they’ve done it really well.

Unless we’re waiting for the McNally move to go through so we can reassess the budget as a whole and then distribute it accordingly…?

If you’re looking at money made from selling, Aston Villa (Grealish and Matt Targett, recently) and Liverpool (Coutinho and Minamino both made huge profits) could also be described as good selling clubs!

You could even throw Chelsea in there for the money they made from Ramires and Oscar, and then the Hazard money which is still coming in apparently…

3 ACL’s in 4 years maybe Coventry City’s testing isn’t very good?
In fairness that’s a valid point and another reason to look at him properly. He may have been poorly looked after there and we may have the answers they didn’t.

How is that a squad place “wasted”?

f**k me, the bloke hasn’t even signed for us yet, and we’ve got people writing him off!!!
Once you get a structural weakness like that it is very unlikely to get better and far more likely to get worse.
After the first surgery/intervention athletes become six times more likely that it will go again.
His ACL has gone 4 times

The risk to reward in this case is very, very high.

I would actually be disappointed to see Mous not included in the squad now we are allowed to use 5 subs.

Mous was superb against Shrews (yes I know the comments about struggling the next day) and while I am not for one minute suggesting he starts regularly, he has tremendous leadership, know how etc that we simply don’t have in the building.

We do need better defenders than last season, but if I’m seeing Mous come on for the last 5/10 mins as the 4th/5th sub in tight games where we need a true leader, then I’ll be happy with that.

Put simply, I think there are still qualities he has, that we don’t necessarily have in the back half of the pitch. These are not qualities that are easy to come by. I’d argue with him doing the full pre season, he still has the fitness to play some role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom