Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something here, whenever Mous has had to play the odd game he’s generally been great. From memory, he’s come on a couple of times late on to shore it up and done fine. Three competitive centre backs along with him and Long as back up. A lot of squads have a random player in it - Scott Carson at Man City for example, zero chance of playing but a great day to day example for others to follow and more than adequate emergency cover if called upon.

Is the squad limit 25 ? If so, then back up in every position = 22.
Mous is 36 and in the last two seasons has played fewer than three full games worth of minutes in the league and by his own admission could barely walk for days after playing a full 90 last season against Shrewsbury.

He's been brilliant for us but there's absolutely no way he should be part of the squad next season being in his mid 30's and basically retired for a couple of years. We've already got a few players who tend to spend time out injured every season, we can't afford passengers elsewhere if we want to compete.

If this is happening
Hope we’ve completed business for replacements before accepting any bid

On hindsight the group of people who don't want Karl as manager and have lost patience with him may grow considerably after this transfer window. Let's hope we don't start the season poorly as the board will have a decision to make.
Or, if we sign 5-6 Championship-quality players, that group may shrink considerably… let’s wait and see what the squad is looking like after the window closes

If KR doesn't get this transfer window right and we are not in the top 6 at Christmas he needs showing the door BUT if we pull some rabbits out of some hats and sign some real quality players not injury prone players and he's doing well I will like everyone else support him only time will tell but it's not looking good at the moment

The best centre back in League One was just sold for £1.5m, I'm not sure what you expect to sell players for at league one level? Especially a player who has only had one promising season...
👏

The positive bus will be here shortly, telling us that we need to replace the players at the top end of the pitch, but in truth the problem is at the back door. You sell your best players, and bring in a crocked winger. Deary me!

I look forward to reposting some of these narrow minded, short sighted, and poorly informed negative comments once the transfer window has closed.

Same. I’m going to compile all of the best ones into a single image, laminate a nice sheet of A4 paper, bang it on a 1980’s style dinner try, and eat my humble pie off of it!

The best centre back in League One was just sold for £1.5m, I'm not sure what you expect to sell players for at league one level? Especially a player who has only had one promising season...

Matt Clarke was in Lge 1 and went from Pompey to Brighton for £3m and he wasn’t the best centre half in the league that season.

I honestly don't know how some posters deal with everyday life judging by the meltdown following a tweet or photo of a man bun!!

We've already turned down a big of £1.75m for McNally so the bid is either higher than that or has significantly better add ons. As has also been pointed out, this is about the going rate for a top end league 1 defender anyway, so anything extra is a bonus rather than a deal done on the cheap.

As for players like Mous or Jodi Jones being in the squad, this will likely be on top of a couple of younger players that won't count towards the 22. We saw last season that Mous can do a job if needed and he will complete the same rigorous fitness tests as everyone else.

Jodi Jones (if owner of said Man Bun) was fit to play last season but not selected. Of course he's had some bad injuries but they will be thoroughly tested, not just through a medical but through the rigours of a pre-season trial which is exactly what we would want. If fit, and anywhere near the form he had previously shown then he'll be a real asset for very little money.

Our transfer window will not be defined by untried youngsters or players off the scrap heap. Anyone thinking otherwise perhaps needs a head wobble themselves.

Must be plenty of money in the pot now for replacements, with McNally, Williams, Sykes, Hanson, Winnall, Whyte, Holland (that’s forty percent of our outfield team at the end of last season so I don’t buy that we are not weakened now) all not here anymore, that’s a big chunk of wages gone and a decent fee bought in. Robinsons future obviously hinges on the quality of replacements bought in, can’t all be gambles.

Interesting few weeks ahead now.

I honestly don't know how some posters deal with everyday life judging by the meltdown following a tweet or photo of a man bun!!

We've already turned down a big of £1.75m for McNally so the bid is either higher than that or has significantly better add ons. As has also been pointed out, this is about the going rate for a top end league 1 defender anyway, so anything extra is a bonus rather than a deal done on the cheap.

As for players like Mous or Jodi Jones being in the squad, this will likely be on top of a couple of younger players that won't count towards the 22. We saw last season that Mous can do a job if needed and he will complete the same rigorous fitness tests as everyone else.

Jodi Jones (if owner of said Man Bun) was fit to play last season but not selected. Of course he's had some bad injuries but they will be thoroughly tested, not just through a medical but through the rigours of a pre-season trial which is exactly what we would want. If fit, and anywhere near the form he had previously shown then he'll be a real asset for very little money.

Our transfer window will not be defined by untried youngsters or players off the scrap heap. Anyone thinking otherwise perhaps needs a head wobble themselves.

3 ACL’s in 4 years maybe Coventry City’s testing isn’t very good?

Matt Clarke was in Lge 1 and went from Pompey to Brighton for £3m and he wasn’t the best centre half in the league that season.
2nd time you compare apples with pears.

Clarke had 2 league two campaigns, two league one campaigns and a handful of games in the championship before that move. He may not have got the accolade of best player but he was outstanding. He played every minute of his last league season with Pompey which ended with a play off final. He also won an EFL trophy. He was instrumental for his clubs over a long period.

If you want to make your point, make it with a proper comparison. Find a player who moved for more than McNally after 30 games in this country. I haven’t looked - there might be one. But plucking out any old defender that went for more is meaningless.

On hindsight the group of people who don't want Karl as manager and have lost patience with him may grow considerably after this transfer window. Let's hope we don't start the season poorly as the board will have a decision to make.
Talk about premature.
Let's see who we sign first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom