Current Player #18 Marcus McGuane

I would be looking to keep MM and have informed the Head Coach of this. Even if he's not necessarily a Des-type player, Des will feel he can utilise MM's undoubted technical ability and mould him into an effective Championship player in his system. It's hard to get past what an important part of our great early season form he was. For me, MM stays.

Heard he went to New York after the Bolton 5-0 and came back a day late, which is why he was dropped (should have been for his terrible form)

I would give him the extra year, we need more squad depth and we already know he is technically good enough to play in the championship. He is more likely to be able to cover Cam than McEachran and can come on further forward.
I think people are underestimating how much more squad depth we will need this season, we are going to have to run with a bigger squad even if it’s most likely less games as we can’t just chuck players out of position who haven’t been playing much at this level.

Heard he went to New York after the Bolton 5-0 and came back a day late, which is why he was dropped (should have been for his terrible form)

Everything changed after Bolton 5-0. There are a lot of people who were written off before or around that result, including the manager.

As far as I'm concerned, we trigger the extension as a formality and see who impresses over pre-season, allied with who we can bring in once the transfer market opens.

Worst case scenario, I think we recoup our fee on him. But I can also see him being reinvigorated under a manager who finally feels comfortable and in charge of this club.

Agree absolutely. He has found form again under DB, and we can keep someone who is a team player with value

I would give him the extra year, we need more squad depth and we already know he is technically good enough to play in the championship. He is more likely to be able to cover Cam than McEachran and can come on further forward.
I think people are underestimating how much more squad depth we will need this season, we are going to have to run with a bigger squad even if it’s most likely less games as we can’t just chuck players out of position who haven’t been playing much at this level.

I think I agree with this. We need depth and in that respect he’s more than decent. We need to be careful we don’t just dismantle everything and start afresh with loads of players unfamiliar with the club (a bit like Forest in the PL).

McGuane has championship quality, And here. If he’s turned down a new contract, trigger the old div 1 one, as it will be less than any replacement.
We gain a year of a player, who has the potential and maybe just needs to prove it to the championship and himself first.

I’m very interested to see what Des does individually with Marcus- he’s done a great deal with individual players and I think he could help MM make that psychological breakthrough to rediscover the boy who left Arsenal for Barcelona with the world at his feet.

He's another player who was frozen out by a managerial change at Barça and ended up heading off to Telstar in the Nertherlands

Last edited:
I’m very interested to see what Des does individually with Marcus- he’s done a great deal with individual players and I think he could help MM make that psychological breakthrough to rediscover the boy who left Arsenal for Barcelona with the world at his feet.

He's another player who was frozen out by a managerial change at Barça and ended up heading off to Telstar in the Nertherlands
I think that’s the key to it and virtually all the rationale you need to justify the extra 12 months. Des, I’m sure, will back himself to improve a player like this and McGuane has all the ingredients to be a regular next year in a couple of different roles within our system. We’ve seen enough of McGuane at his best to know there is a championship player there beyond question. I don’t see what harm it does us to keep him amongst a 6 or 7 man midfield selection that I think we’ll need. He offers an awful lot of what we will need next year and I completely agree with the notion that he is better suited to a higher standard. His cameos in the play offs at crucial times in the games suggest he is back in favour and he was excellent at Wembley, albeit for a short time. He wasn’t playing like someone who didn’t care about the result either. I’d far rather enter next season with him here than elsewhere, there’s just something about him.

On.the Dub, George Elek suggested that there had been interest from Championship clubs had he been on a free.
It will be interesting to see whether MM stays or whether somebody makes an offer for him.

McGuane was excellent at the beginning of the season before dropping off in form. But when he returned against Peterborough away and coming on at Wembley, I thought he was back to his best. He may not make the starting XI every week, but with 9 players making the bench, he's one that I'd definitely have to bring on.

If he leaves we will have to spend decent money bringing in a replacement, and that is money that could be spent elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom