Ex Player James Henry ๐Ÿ

Totally agree, and hence why I would have seen how he got on this season before extending further.

I agree, he was the only one consistently looking to get the ball in the box, and you could see he was starting to look pretty up for it, so KR took him off ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Yep. Strange substitution when he was looking like one of the few who might make an impact. But this last few weeks our substitutions have lacked tactical nous.

Yes, strange substitution. Heโ€™d just had his best 10 minutes of the season - keeping possession, linking up, crossing, winning corners - when Robinson took him off. Just one of many oddities on a weird day all round.

Yes, strange substitution. Heโ€™d just had his best 10 minutes of the season - keeping possession, linking up, crossing, winning corners - when Robinson took him off. Just one of many oddities on a weird day all round.

I'm confident he'll have another 7-8 minutes of being decent next season(ceteris paribus), for age will not wither him much more than it already has in recent years.

Probably preplanned like most of KR's substitutions.

Probably preplanned like most of KR's substitutions.
Exactly what we were saying - before the game he said that they had weighed up the risks and Murphy probably had 15 minutes in him. On 75 minutes exactly (and I was watching), Murphy was called back to the dug out.

Rarely do his substitutions impact a game when we are trailing - they usually leave us looking completely unbalanced.
I do wonder whether he had an option of another club that offered longer term security and given our current squad we had no choice but to react and counter offer.
I would wager his revised deal was nothing to with another club but a reaction to another player becoming the club's best paid player!

There is a lot of talk every week about โ€œweโ€™re trying our bestโ€โ€ฆbut Henry, along with pretty much all the senior pros need to stand up and be counted. With the exception of perhaps McGuane (who is out of position), itโ€™s not been anywhere near good enough this season both individually and collectively. Some of the shooting and decision making on Saturday alone, was Sunday league. The buck ultimately stops with KR but the players also have to take some responsibility.

There is a lot of talk every week about โ€œweโ€™re trying our bestโ€โ€ฆbut Henry, along with pretty much all the senior pros need to stand up and be counted. With the exception of perhaps McGuane (who is out of position), itโ€™s not been anywhere near good enough this season both individually and collectively. Some of the shooting and decision making on Saturday alone, was Sunday league. The buck ultimately stops with KR but the players also have to take some responsibility.
I agree, no one has really got going this season apart from maybe McGuane. I'm not sure why you say Marcus is out of position, he's not really played enough games for us to know his best position. He seems more involved in the game in his more defensive position than when he was further forward.

I agree, no one has really got going this season apart from maybe McGuane. I'm not sure why you say Marcus is out of position, he's not really played enough games for us to know his best position. He seems more involved in the game in his more defensive position than when he was further forward.
I think Saturday was his 47 appearance for us. Personally I think we need a ball winning defensive midfielder, either an inform Gorrin or an Gorrin upgrade. When he (McGuane) was on loan from Forest in his first spell, right at the end, he was imo at his most effective. Driving forward, beating players and influencing the final 3rd. Bringing others into play in dangerous areas and scoring the odd goal. Right now I donโ€™t think that is the role heโ€™s been asked to play. Yes heโ€™s been good this season but thatโ€™s only because last year he wasnโ€™t at the races and a player of his age should be naturally improving regardless. Heโ€™s obviously toughened up a bit and has learned to stay on his feet a bit more, rather than going down so easily and looking for the foul. I still donโ€™t think we have seen his full potential.

I think Saturday was his 47 appearance for us. Personally I think we need a ball winning defensive midfielder, either an inform Gorrin or an Gorrin upgrade. When he (McGuane) was on loan from Forest in his first spell, right at the end, he was imo at his most effective. Driving forward, beating players and influencing the final 3rd. Bringing others into play in dangerous areas and scoring the odd goal. Right now I donโ€™t think that is the role heโ€™s been asked to play. Yes heโ€™s been good this season but thatโ€™s only because last year he wasnโ€™t at the races and a player of his age should be naturally improving regardless. Heโ€™s obviously toughened up a bit and has learned to stay on his feet a bit more, rather than going down so easily and looking for the foul. I still donโ€™t think we have seen his full potential.

47th start.....he's made 70 appearances overall.
And he has literally only scored the odd goal - and it wasn't during his loan spell. His only Oxford goal was in the Cup against Rovers last season.
For all that he is great at picking up and maintaining possession and driving forwards with the ball - he hasn't shown much of an end product at all in his time in yellow. Even this season, when he's been the best player of a bad bunch.

I am actually warming to the notion that he might actually be best suited for his current, more withdrawn midfield role. His defensive positioning is decent, and he recycles the ball beautifully.

But you need to complement him and Cam with a big, physical athlete. Someone who likes a tackle, has the engine to get box-to-box and has the size and physicality to impose his will on the game. Someone like Camara, the ex-Plymouth now Ipswich midfielder. Not someone like Lewis Bate.

47th start.....he's made 70 appearances overall.
And he has literally only scored the odd goal - and it wasn't during his loan spell. His only Oxford goal was in the Cup against Rovers last season.
For all that he is great at picking up and maintaining possession and driving forwards with the ball - he hasn't shown much of an end product at all in his time in yellow. Even this season, when he's been the best player of a bad bunch.

I am actually warming to the notion that he might actually be best suited for his current, more withdrawn midfield role. His defensive positioning is decent, and he recycles the ball beautifully.

But you need to complement him and Cam with a big, physical athlete. Someone who likes a tackle, has the engine to get box-to-box and has the size and physicality to impose his will on the game. Someone like Camara, the ex-Plymouth now Ipswich midfielder. Not someone like Lewis Bate.
Well there you go, perhaps he flattered to deceive me a little back then and I got carried away with all the Barcelona hype, itโ€™s good to get the facts, thank you.

I wonder if you asked McGuane, where do you feel best suited, what would he say?

And yes I thought they said 70 appearances on Radox the other day, when I double checked on Wikipedia I must have misread the info. I was surprised it was so many tbh.

Last edited:
Well there you go, perhaps he flattered to deceive me a little back then, itโ€™s good to get the facts, thank you.

I wonder if you asked McGuane, where do you feel best suited, what would he say?

And yes I thought they said 70 appearances on Radox the other day, when I double checked on Wikipedia I must have misread the info. I was surprised it was so many tbh.

Or it could just be that Wikipedia is rubbish when it comes to lower division stats and info!

There's only one place I ever go for my OUFC facts and figures......

Agreed, but Henry was one of the better players on Saturday

Or it could just be that Wikipedia is rubbish when it comes to lower division stats and info!

There's only one place I ever go for my OUFC facts and figures......
Thank you Tony (I feel slightly ashamed I didnโ€™t know that already).

Last edited:
Has anybody heard why James Henry hasn't been in the squad for the oast couple of games?
Is he injured?

Back
Top Bottom