Home Match Day Thread 16/4/24 Oxford United v Lincoln City

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as he was Saturday, Rodrigues was very poor to night, so was surprised he stayed on the pitch as long as he did!

I would have taken him (Rodrigues) off for Brannagan, leaving McEachran on if he was capable of staying on.
Agreed. And there was a real danger of a second yellow with him too. He was wound up in that way that never goes well for him.

GLUuTi2WwAAZlsN

Watching that back, it is a penalty. An annoying way to give one away as their #9 completely messes up a good chance to inadvertently knock the ball back.

Their ‘keeper does a great job to narrow the angle for the Goodrham chance.

You have to say that their chances were more clear cut that ours. I thought their front two were bobbins, mind. Both got into good positions but delivered poor finishes at times.

Still raging from last night and 3 points against Stevenage will be the only thing that makes me forget about it.

First half was a decent game with chances for both sides. Second half was the complete opposite, a penalty that was never a penalty, gave a foul on Harris that continued into the penalty area but gave a free kick, Lincoln hacking down our players at every opportunity, Lincoln faking injury and time wasting at every opportunity.

If there was a half to ever put you off watching football it was that, proper embarrassing by Lincoln.

On to Friday..

As much as that was a horrible, nasty little Lincoln side and a completely out of his depth refereeing performance, we have to learn how to deal with nights like that.

Some silly fouls and sloppy passing, but had we been more ruthless in the first half we may have gone in at half time in front (Lincoln missed a few chances of their own though).

This wasn’t a night to go a goal behind.

Anyways, we move on and try to put it right on Friday night. A win will put the pressure back on.

Last edited:
Still raging from last night and 3 points against Stevenage will be the only thing that makes me forget about it.

First half was a decent game with chances for both sides. Second half was the complete opposite, a penalty that was never a penalty, gave a foul on Harris that continued into the penalty area but gave a free kick, Lincoln hacking down our players at every opportunity, Lincoln faking injury and time wasting at every opportunity.

If there was a half to ever put you off watching football it was that, proper embarrassing by Lincoln.

On to Friday..

Fouls are given from where they start aren’t they? Not where the player falls.

For me it looked a free kick in that instance.

Fouls are given from where they start aren’t they? Not where the player falls.

For me it looked a free kick in that instance.

Not in this instance when a player is holding another player. If it persists into the penalty area, which it did , it should of been awarded a penalty.

Ref was useless all match and it's these kind of games where a green card could work. Paying fans shouldn't have to watch another team fouling constantly and slowing a game down, yellow cards aren't a big enough punishment.

Not in this instance when a player is holding another player. If it persists into the penalty area, which it did , it should of been awarded a penalty.

Ref was useless all match and it's these kind of games where a green card could work. Paying fans shouldn't have to watch another team fouling constantly and slowing a game down, yellow cards aren't a big enough punishment.

That’s not the law of the game though. The foul started outside the area so was rightly given as a free kick.

That’s not the law of the game though. The foul started outside the area so was rightly given as a free kick.

VAR in the premier League a few weeks ago awarded a penalty for similar. He has hold of Harris outside the area but he pulled him down inside so it should of been a penalty regardless of where it started. If the player tripped Harris outside the area and his momentum carried him in to the area then that's different matter all together.

Couldn’t believe how long the ref took to book their number 6. If he’d booked him for fouling, shithousery or dissent in the first half it would have been right. When he finally booked him I assumed he was getting a second (or third) yellow.

This is taken from the FA website under laws of the game, I think it used to be the case it was a free kick but was changed a little while back.

1000025082.png

Edit - I'm not 100% sure the foul did continue into the box mind, hard to tell on the replay on a phone but he may well have let go before then.

Last edited:
Only if the foul continues into the area. It wasn’t a penalty. Neither was theirs mind.

It didn’t help that our free kicks were the football equivalent of Jozef Fritzls parenting skills also.
I was in line and it looked to me as if the foul clearly continued into the area?

Disappointing result tonight. Albeit if TG takes his two glorious chances and Harris slides in from point blank range then the game is very different.

I thought the ref was poor all night. From block 9 SSU it didn’t look like a penalty at all and it seems Des has confirmed as much. Throughout the game he slowed the game down and allowed the ‘dark arts’ to play out from the moment the goal was scored. 6 mins were added and the ball couldn’t have been in play for more than 2.5 mins of it.

RR was really poor - perennially gave up possession and looked to lack sharpness. He has to have a rest on Friday. For me, Bodin starts ahead of him. Meanwhile, I’d be looking to freshen up the front line with Browne replacing Harris.

Brannagan starts if he’s fit instead of JMac.

Fair play to Lincoln, they set up and did a job with the doubling up of Murphy and Dale in wide areas which limited their chances to create. In the middle they had really big imposing players and it felt like they had more control than us for large parts of the second half.

It’s in our hands. Win on Friday by any means and we will be in great shape going to Exeter. Get there and support the lads if you can.

Keep the faith.

100% agree about RR, had a shocker last night. Continually giving the ball away and poor decision making, how he stayed on for 85mins I’ll never know.

Dont think we deserved to lose. Lincoln were robust, ugly and did what they had to do.

Law 12 is pretty blunt in contradicting this: “If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick.”

Only if the foul continues into the area. It wasn’t a penalty. Neither was theirs mind.

It didn’t help that our free kicks were the football equivalent of Jozef Fritzls parenting skills also.

Eh?

You've flatly contradicted yourself there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom