Home Match Day Thread 16/4/24 Oxford United v Lincoln City

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugely frustrating. We were never really able to get a swift attacking play going once they scored. Better in the first half but outmuscled by a pretty rough outfit. Jensen is huge so any crosses or shots with any height just played into his hands,but our wingers today just didn’t really get at them sufficiently well….often surrounded mind you. Glad that I don’t have to watch the Imps too often.
Onto the next game…..and I wonder what Stevie baby might be planning for us?

Ruben got all of the ball, never a pen
We shall see when the replays are out - I thought that Ruben got the man first (who made a meal of it, but I thought there was contact).

Put it this way - Rosie and Nathan didn't complain about the pen.....and if those two don't try and stir up controversy about an opposition penalty, I tend to believe it was probably a foul.

Last edited:
as others have said didn’t take our chances in the first half, our style of play means that if a team gets the lead and sits back against us we will struggle. Disappointing final 30 mins - very few clear cut opportunities created. Onto Friday….

We’ve struggled against these type of teams for years now.

We try to play the game the right way, and it’s nice to watch at times, but we come up against a Lincoln, a Wycombe, and a Stevenage. It’s all gamesmanship and fouling. Feigning injuries and drinks breaks etc. until we learn how to conquer these type of teams we will always struggle. We need a couple of big brutes in the team, that can give it back, or twice as much. Tonight was another night where we failed to cope with that kind of game.

We shouldn’t have to win our last two matches, we could of had this sewn up long ago, now the pressure ramps up, and we need a result on Friday.

Second half was awful. We completely regressed to the worst version of us? Really, really f*****g slow moving the ball. MM didn't help that in the last 5 but I also think the CB sub was wrong...Owen/Murphy/Goodrham across the 3 is what was causing problems.

Terrified now. Which is my problem but it feels particularly cruel to have to play anti-football Fatty now, given he knows we can't deal with the gritty niggly stuff.

If CB comes in then it has to be for JM- and he HAS to be disciplined and not hold on to the ball for too long and give it to the front 3 and RR and sit in.

Feels like the day after Boxing Day when I was a kid.

Beat Stevenage, and we could still be in the playoffs by 5pm on Saturday.
Best Stevenage and we will definitely be in the play offs Saturday night?
We could be 5th and it could be nearly over. But likely it will go to the last day.

Heading the ball to their striker who missed from 5 yards
So didn’t lead to a major error.
We shall see when the replays are out - I thought that Ruben got the man first (who made a meal of it, but I thought there was contact).

Put it this way - Rosie and Jerome didn't complain about the pen.....and if those two don't try and stir up controversy about an opposition penalty, I tend to believe it was probably a foul.
Was Jerome texting you as he certainly wasn’t on the radio tonight 😅

Horrible Lincoln team. They might bully there way to wins but it’s not football and it’s a disgrace that referees allow it. God knows what there manager learned at Leeds but he was like a small Steve Evans tonight. Hope they get stuffed in their remaining games.

We could be 5th and it could be nearly over. But likely it will go to the last day.
It will go to the last day. On the plus side, Cheltenham are fighting for their life’s so Lincoln won’t have an easy game.

Put it this way - Rosie and Jerome didn't complain about the pen.....and if those two don't try and stir up controversy about an opposition penalty, I tend to believe it was probably a foul.
Des said the replay was clear that Ruben got the ball.
Let's see.

I mean that if we beat Stevenage on Friday, and then Blackpool & Lincoln fail to win on Saturday (not impossible - they're both playing desperate teams).....then it could still be all over before the final day.

Just being an optimist. Job #1 is to beat the fat crook again.

Well, that's brought us crashing back down to earth with a bang. We were a shambles tonight.

Regardless of how well we can play when given time and space, we really struggle against negative, anti football sides, and until we learn how to deal with sides like that, we're always gonna come unstuck when it matters.

Friday's huge now, we need to be ruthless, aggressive and go for the throat.

DON'T f**k THIS UP LADS!!
A shambles? You're talking rubbish man.

Yes criticise Harris for not taking good chances in the first half but to go down to a dodgy penalty against the dirtiest slide in the league was anything but a shambles.

Onwards to Friday.

Disappointing result tonight. Albeit if TG takes his two glorious chances and Harris slides in from point blank range then the game is very different.

I thought the ref was poor all night. From block 9 SSU it didn’t look like a penalty at all and it seems Des has confirmed as much. Throughout the game he slowed the game down and allowed the ‘dark arts’ to play out from the moment the goal was scored. 6 mins were added and the ball couldn’t have been in play for more than 2.5 mins of it.

RR was really poor - perennially gave up possession and looked to lack sharpness. He has to have a rest on Friday. For me, Bodin starts ahead of him. Meanwhile, I’d be looking to freshen up the front line with Browne replacing Harris.

Brannagan starts if he’s fit instead of JMac.

Fair play to Lincoln, they set up and did a job with the doubling up of Murphy and Dale in wide areas which limited their chances to create. In the middle they had really big imposing players and it felt like they had more control than us for large parts of the second half.

It’s in our hands. Win on Friday by any means and we will be in great shape going to Exeter. Get there and support the lads if you can.

Keep the faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom