Home Match Day Thread 16/4/24 Oxford United v Lincoln City

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI - You can still quote from a post on another thread (even if it is locked)

Edited your post to demonstrate 😀

Must be a Mod perk?

I've often quoted from one (non-locked) thread to another, but I've only ever had the option to 'react' to any post in a locked thread - the ability to 'quote' is lost (alongside 'reply').

As @Colin B suggests, this is frustrating when wishing to follow-up to a previous comment or to update a previous line of thought that just happens to have fallen in what is now a locked thread...

were up against what has been a decent defence, it'll be a tighter game than the last few, however, home win 3-1 Harris Murphy & Gregly

An incredible sense of nervousness and excitement at work today, haven't felt like this about an Oxford game since probably Carlisle away in 2016. Win and we are a hair width's away, draw and we're a point closer, lose and we have a sickening prospect of needing a win vs a fresh Stevenage side on the box on Friday.

I don't think Lincoln will be naive enough to go all out attack from minute one, their best chance of a result is probably matching us and hoping they are more clinical than we are. Up until Saturday they had a great record of being very clinical indeed and we must treat them on recent form rather than their last result, they have got where they are on merit and credit to their new coach who has definitely squeezed the maximum out of their squad.

In terms of us, I think the likelihood of another 90 minute performance like Saturday is pretty low so we need to take our chances should we be on top. Do we go with the 11 who started on Saturday? Probably yes, if all fit. I'd worry about Taylor's movement up against our centre halves and their workmanlike midfield completely nullifying JMc, but you cannot really justify many changes, if any, after a 5-0 win against a very good side last time out.

My head is saying a surprisingly flat, cagey 1-1 but my heart thinks 2-1 Oxford with a late Cam Bran penalty. Just please don't lose whatever you do, Yellows...

My brother in law is a Reading supporter and they played them a couple of weeks ago. He said they’re a big side that foul a lot, time waste, feigning injury etc. Very frustrating was how he described it. Not good at the football bit. Something to look forward too!

I don’t buy this Lincoln will go gung ho from the whistle - they will know from the weekend that it would play to our strengths. Would imagine they will play quite a tight game and then if needed push on with 30/20 mins to go.
I would tend to agree - they have the equal best defensive record in the league with Pompey and Derby and apart from three big wins in quick succession in March, games have been relatively tight. We've scored 14 more and conceded 16 more in comparison. Nothing indicates they will come at us head on from the first minute.

Must be a Mod perk?

I've often quoted from one (non-locked) thread to another, but I've only ever had the option to 'react' to any post in a locked thread - the ability to 'quote' is lost (alongside 'reply').

As @Colin B suggests, this is frustrating when wishing to follow-up to a previous comment or to update a previous line of thought that just happens to have fallen in what is now a locked thread...
You are indeed correct!

@Northstandboy do we have any control over this?

Agree that Lincoln don’t need to attack from the off. They need to score one. They’ve probably watched our Barnsley defeat recently.

Their need to win is countered by our obvious threat on the counter, so I'd be surprised if they throw everything at us right from the start; I think it'll be quite cagey.

Both teams are content to concede possession, and an ugly 90th minute goalmouth scramble serves them just as well as a big win, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try and get to the 60-minute mark still in the game, and then up the tempo from there.

We need to make sure we're as clinical in transition as we have been in the last few games, and are ready to shift through the gears ourselves when they start putting pressure on us in the last half an hour. Even under pressure, we need to make sure we have outlets up the pitch.

Obviously in an ideal world, we would go ahead early and then pick them off on the counter as they push forward trying to get back into it, but I have a feeling this might be a game where the confidence and assurance our defence has gained from our recent clean sheets is as valuable as the strides we've made in attack.

All calm and relaxed here, no nerves. The pressure is on Lincoln.

3-1 with a goal for a centre back in there somewhere.

We should bring out all the banners tonight! The Jim smith, joey, Brannagan the full works.

Would be nice to seal the play offs on Sky. From a thrashing at Bolton to securing playoffs!
So a nice win tonight and Friday, then relaxed party atmosphere at Exeter just before the play off semis/final!

That would be nice, but we know generally Oxford don’t do it the east way when there’s a hard way to go, but 🤞⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom