Not open for further replies.

Foley

PRE-MATCH PACK

📹 🔜 Interview - Des Buckingham
📹 🔜 Interview - Opposition Manager
📰 🔜 OUFC Match Preview
🗓️ Head to Head

Can we do it again?
For Lincoln- they have to win, so will have to go for it.
I like the idea that we have some tough games coming up. If we make the play offs , we will hopefully go in with some form against sine very good teams. Suddenly teams in the play offs won't be so keen on playing us.
If fully fit, I would play Cam and JM seems to struggle fitness wise playing full games.
A win and we are nearly there. Hopefully another near on 10k crowd. What an end to the season this could be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing I’m concerned about is our fitness. We seemed dead on our feet in the last 15-20mins on Saturday
Agreed.

Mark Harris looked absolutely knackered and was feeling cramp, and looked to be hobbling a bit with his socks down as they did the lap around the pitch after the game. Sam Long went down with cramp towards the end as well. Generally as a team we looked a bit tired towards the end of the game.

Obviously, if anyone is struggling physically, you give them a break, and Amy & co. will be the judge of that.....but otherwise, strongest team out for both games this week. Would be mad to do anything different.
I know you caveated it a bit but I just don’t understand this view at all.

Peterborough have shown us what happens when you expect the same 11 players to play three games in seven days. As much as we played brilliantly, if you have a read of the Peterborough forum they’re all saying how their players looked absolutely shot, mentally as much as physically, and it looked that way to me as well. Are we not going to learn any lessons from that?

We have a lack of depth in certain positions, and players who’ve played a hell of a lot of minutes. Mark Harris must be in the ‘red zone’ as Karl would put it, and we only have Browne who can replace him. Josh Murphy is apparently managing a chronic hamstring problem. McEachran isn’t getting any younger. The list goes on.

The season isn’t over once we get into the playoffs and there’s no point in getting there and then going out with a whimper in the semi finals because we don’t have Murphy, Harris or McEachran available, for example.

IF we win on Tuesday then we’re so close to the playoffs that it would be mad to expect the same 11 to have just two days rest and then go yet again, in a game where a draw would be enough. Not only does it massively increase injury risk, but we’ll have a better chance of beating Stevenage with fresh, rested players than we will half-knackered ones…

Peterborough have shown us what happens when you expect the same 11 players to play three games in seven days. As much as we played brilliantly, if you have a read of the Peterborough forum they’re all saying how their players looked absolutely shot, mentally as much as physically, and it looked that way to me as well. Are we not going to learn any lessons from that?

We have a lack of depth in certain positions, and players who’ve played a hell of a lot of minutes. Mark Harris must be in the ‘red zone’ as Karl would put it, and we only have Browne who can replace him. Josh Murphy is apparently managing a chronic hamstring problem. McEachran isn’t getting any younger. The list goes on.

The season isn’t over once we get into the playoffs and there’s no point in getting there and then going out with a whimper in the semi finals because we don’t have Murphy, Harris or McEachran available, for example.

IF we win on Tuesday then we’re so close to the playoffs that it would be mad to expect the same 11 to have just two days rest and then go yet again, in a game where a draw would be enough. Not only does it massively increase injury risk, but we’ll have a better chance of beating Stevenage with fresh, rested players than we will half-knackered ones…

Were Peterborough mentally and physically shot before the third goal was scored? Up until then they, I felt that they a side who just outplayed. Admittedly they did look like their heads dropped after the third, but very few teams can go 3 nil down with plenty of time still to play in the first half and keep their heads up.

I'd listen to the sports science team, but at this stage of the season the structure will be finely tuned between playing and recovery so there shouldn't be any issues.

Our first objective must be to beat Lincoln. Resting them in the hope that they have recovered to beat Stevenage is a strange approach that could massively bite our ass.

Agreed.

Mark Harris looked absolutely knackered and was feeling cramp, and looked to be hobbling a bit with his socks down as they did the lap around the pitch after the game. Sam Long went down with cramp towards the end as well. Generally as a team we looked a bit tired towards the end of the game.
They ran their socks off, so I’m not surprised they were knackered.

Browne can’t replace Harris, he’s not a forward, for link up id much rather Bodin up there for the link up play. He’s very good at bringing players into the game. So if you rest Harris. I’d rather it be Bodin.

yes. I also think there is something in Brannagan (and everyone else) now knowing that we aren't a one-man team, and that our best win this season was achieved without him. The system we played which blew Peterborough away needs discipline and won't work with Brannagan bombing forward or letting fly the Steven Gerrard shots from distance
Isnt he the best league 1 midfield player this season? Im sure we can handle putting the best midfielder back in without causing any trouble.

Catching the 10.30 train from Bodmin tomoz - meeting up with friends for a few in town pre match - been working abroad so first live game since Charlton - can’t wait - also pleased as I managed to get Exeter ticket - unfortunately going back to Dubai May 17th which means Sod’s Law says we are definitely going to Wembley on 18th!!!

Were Peterborough mentally and physically shot before the third goal was scored? Up until then they, I felt that they a side who just outplayed. Admittedly they did look like their heads dropped after the third, but very few teams can go 3 nil down with plenty of time still to play in the first half and keep their heads up.

I'd listen to the sports science team, but at this stage of the season the structure will be finely tuned between playing and recovery so there shouldn't be any issues.

Our first objective must be to beat Lincoln. Resting them in the hope that they have recovered to beat Stevenage is a strange approach that could massively bite our ass.
I think the amount of mistakes they made was at least partly due to mental fatigue, but it’s hard to say.

It’s unusual to be playing three games in seven days at any stage of the season, so I just think we need to be careful with our somewhat injury prone players, especially as we rely on certain players so much (Murphy has been MOTM or thereabouts for the last 3-4 games, and we only really have Harris up front) although how well we did without Moore and Brannagan shows that maybe that’s not true! (But also shows that we can still win when not playing our ‘first XI’)

To be clear, I’ve never said that we should rest players tomorrow against Lincoln. Play a full team then, it’s normal to play Saturday - Tuesday. What I’ve said is, IF we beat Lincoln, don’t play the exact same team again on Friday against Stevenage. We won’t be desperate for points and the players will be overloaded. In that scenario, make changes for the Stevenage game to keep everyone fit and injury free.

But I’m sure Des will do the right thing, and I trust him!

If the medical/sports science teams think that someone is knackered and needs a rest, then you replace them.

But any player they give the all clear to, who you think is in your strongest XI for either the Lincoln or Stevenage games, you play.

Rotation to keep players fresh goes out of the window when you're down to a 3 (or hopefully 6) game season. Especially when you can get over the line with four points from your next two, and then have a nice rest at Exeter

Besides which.....we don't exactly have much of a choice when it comes to the front three (who in theory would be the ones you'd most like to rotate). Marcus Browne is the only fit cover we have for the three positions, and I don't even know if he's ready to give us 90 minutes.......(maybe Bodin, but he's a #10 in my book)

I think the amount of mistakes they made was at least partly due to mental fatigue, but it’s hard to say.

It’s unusual to be playing three games in seven days at any stage of the season, so I just think we need to be careful with our somewhat injury prone players, especially as we rely on certain players so much (Murphy has been MOTM or thereabouts for the last 3-4 games, and we only really have Harris up front) although how well we did without Moore and Brannagan shows that maybe that’s not true! (But also shows that we can still win when not playing our ‘first XI’)

To be clear, I’ve never said that we should rest players tomorrow against Lincoln. Play a full team then, it’s normal to play Saturday - Tuesday. What I’ve said is, IF we beat Lincoln, don’t play the exact same team again on Friday against Stevenage. We won’t be desperate for points and the players will be overloaded. In that scenario, make changes for the Stevenage game to keep everyone fit and injury free.

But I’m sure Des will do the right thing, and I trust him!

Ferguson even said in his interview he wasn't having the players were tired excuse. They couldn't handle our pressing and fast counter attack.

Ferguson even said in his interview he wasn't having the players were tired excuse. They couldn't handle our pressing and fast counter attack.
Well yeah I’m sure he wasn’t having it, because he was the one who chose to play the same team for all three games! I wouldn’t put too much stock by what a beaten manager says after the game, they’ve got their own agenda. Let’s just say that if he could have his time again I very much doubt he’d play those same players again… and Peterborough did better after they made the subs and brought fresher players on.

Well yeah I’m sure he wasn’t having it, because he was the one who chose to play the same team for all three games! I wouldn’t put too much stock by what a beaten manager says after the game, they’ve got their own agenda. Let’s just say that if he could have his time again I very much doubt he’d play those same players again… and Peterborough did better after they made the subs and brought fresher players on.
We hassled them to death at the back, that back 4 and keeper must be having nightmares about that performance. Im surprised you cant see that.

Just out of curiosity - what if we were to lose to Lincoln tomorrow night (hopefully this is just a random hypothetical)?

Then we would have to beat Stevenage, otherwise the playoffs would be out of our hands. So would you play our strongest side three games running (injuries permitting) then? Or would you still make changes to keep things fresh? Still 3 games in 6 and a half days. Still a heightened injury risk.

If so.....well I'm not sure I really see the difference. For me it's pedal to the metal until we're over the line, then rest up. Don't play a weakened team because we only need a point, and don't rely on getting favours from anyone else.

My one slight concern about our recent scintillating form is how much the system does seem to rely on having an absolutely rapid front three who all have the energy to buzz around the opposition and press defenders into mistakes. I think if any one of those three come out, we suddenly look a lot less threatening on the break. Browne coming back is a boost and Goodrham can obviously play there (although he looks great as that 8), but if Murphy or Harris, in particular, get a knock were suddenly looking a lot less comfortable.

I didn’t buy into the ‘buying an injured Goodwin was a mistake’ discourse at the time, as I always felt that in the medium to long term it was an approach worth taking. But if he’s out until the playoffs at least, that’ll have been about another month that he’s been out since he last played. It a) means he’s unlikely to be effective through lack of match fitness when he comes back but also b) means we are incredibly reliant on Harris staying fit. We really don’t have a replacement for him at the moment, and won’t do for the next couple of weeks at least. If we run him into the ground in this run in, we lose a huge amount of our attacking output for the run in and (touch wood) playoffs. Not having any other fit striker in the building is looking really quite foolish.

I’m confident about tomorrow. Having them needing to come onto us to get a result plays perfectly into our hands, the game plan for them is going to be a nightmare. I’m also not particularly worried about Stevenage. They’ve showed relegation form since the beginning of March. My main concern now is entirely player management and keeping everyone fit as I think, despite the impressive rotation on Saturday, we are very reliant on certain players for playing our best.

Peterborough did better after they made the subs and brought fresher players on.
Not entirely sure I agree with that. I thought they did quite well in the very first few minutes of the first half and made a chance or two in the first half and that's more than they did in the second really. And we did score another couple after the break. I don't really think their changes made a whole heap of difference.

Just out of curiosity - what if we were to lose to Lincoln tomorrow night (hopefully this is just a random hypothetical)?

Then we would have to beat Stevenage, otherwise the playoffs would be out of our hands.
If we lose tomorrow (equally hope it's hypothetical) then we would have to win both our remaining games to be certain of the playoffs. Both games would then be under pressure and with lost momentum.

Simply, win tomorrow and everything else looks much much better and we can then look at recovery and rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom