+++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one hates Swindon more than me but let’s be honest it does feel like you’re going to a proper football environment when you go there, it feels like a football town. Wycombe just doesn’t. It’s ironic that it’s the furthest of the three but to me our rivalry will always be Swindon undoubtedly first, Luton second, ironically I grew up equal distance between Oxford and Luton before moving to equal distance between Oxford and Swindon, and Reading third. Wycombe, MK, Northampton mean nothing to me.

Really interesting point you've made there. Pighill always first, then for me Brighton due to other events, and then Luton. Even though I can remember trips to Elm Park and the inevitable "Taking" of their end during the RYF, and brothers era, they have been remote to us for so long a league game there would either be electric or drab.

Whatever Wycombe like to think, there has never been a rivalry, and I don't think there ever will. Oxford City will be their rivals. I can never get excited about a trip Adams Park. Their support reminds me of Wimbledons, old men in flat caps, kids with their fathers and someone trying to flog pin badges. No atmosphere, complete non league, topped off with a drum, shithousery cheating, fouling sometimes dangerously, always poised to see if Akinfenwa gets sent off.

The time is nearly upon us Gents, lets return where we belong amongst the big boys! I've never wanted to win a game of football more than this one and got every faith in the boys.

Hoping Matty is fit enough to play, don't think I can deal with another 60 minutes of Mackie bless him.

COYY

Last edited:
The time is upon us Gents, lets return where we belong amongst the big boys! I've never wanted to win a game of football more than this one and got every faith in the boys.

Hoping Matty is fit enough to play, don't think I can deal with another 60 minutes of Mackie bless him.

COYY

Is it?! Not till tomorrow I thought

Just watching Bournemouth loosing to Leicester. Praying to God we play them next season.

Really interesting point you've made there. Pighill always first, then for me Brighton due to other events, and then Luton. Even though I can remember trips to Elm Park and the inevitable "Taking" of their end during the RYF, and brothers era, they have been remote to us for so long a league game there would either be electric or drab.

Whatever Wycombe like to think, there has never been a rivalry, and I don't think there ever will. Oxford City will be their rivals. I can never get excited about a trip Adams Park. Their support reminds me of Wimbledons, old men in flat caps, kids with their fathers and someone trying to flog pin badges. No atmosphere, complete non league, topped off with a drum, shithousery cheating, fouling sometimes dangerously, always poised to see if Akinfenwa gets sent off.

I’ve sort of deduced my order of rivalry in which ‘rivals’ result I look for first. Truth is that whatever league they might be in I will always look for Swindon first in the hope they’ve been beaten and Luton will be second. I don’t really look at Reading at all nor the other local sides. An Oxford win will make my weekend but add in a Swindon defeat and that is just perfection.

I have wrapped myself in lucky heather and a necklace of four leaved clover. I may not last for nerves until kick off. I’d like my epitaph to be ‘come on you yellows’.

I'm not even sure about the rivalry tag. To beat a rival is supposed to give you extra pleasure. Winning against Wycombe feels like winning against any other team. Or losing. Of course it will feel different on Monday, but that's because of what is at stake. I'm not going to say that it gave me any extra pleasure or sorrow because it was Wycombe.

I'm not even sure about the rivalry tag. To beat a rival is supposed to give you extra pleasure. Winning against Wycombe feels like winning against any other team. Or losing. Of course it will feel different on Monday, but that's because of what is at stake. I'm not going to say that it gave me any extra pleasure or sorrow because it was Wycombe.

It gives me extra pleasure beating them because they lose their derby whilst we win just another game. Call it schadenfreude.

If someone was to ask me to say two things about Wycombe I would say it’s near by, and I dunno, maybe the strip pub near the ground as I would be struggling? Not exactly a stirring rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom