Home Match Day Thread 13/04/2024: L1: OUFC v Peterborough

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Out of possession was absolutely fantastic today leading to a 3-0 half time lead. I didn’t think we would be in this position 5 games ago.

Also, I'm usually not a fan of the whole 'weren't the fans great today' patting each other on the back stuff, but the atmosphere genuinely was so, so much better today and it added to the enjoyment of the afternoon. In fact I cannot remember the last time I felt as invested in a game.

Well done to all who have made the effort to get things going again. Special shout out to Joe Nichols who I know has tried to hard to recapture the feeling of the Appleton era. Great stuff, mate.

Great performance today from everybody in yellow including the fans who where right behind the team from the start. We have all been critical of are fans in the past but today they was like oufc fans from years ago so that's keep this going.

There are so many positives to take from today but the one that has stuck with me is how good our press looked for the first two goals. We just waited for them to play back towards their own goal and everyone knew when and where to go, and we forced two mistakes. It happened repeatedly throughout the first half and Harris, Murphy and Dale worked brilliantly together.

As good as some individuals were today, it always feels better when you can see what the team is trying to do. Today was the most organised we have looked since our early season form under Manning. It was an incredibly good performance and we were worthy of the 5-0 scoreline.
Would be interesting to know whether we picked Steer out as someone to exploit. He made Eastwood look like Ederson. He was a wreck on the ball all afternoon and quite often teams will leave the ball with the keeper, we pressed right the way through.

Your post also prompted me to take the opportunity to credit Harris. No idea how many sprints he made today but he’s lead the line for us all season long - he’s had to keep doing it sometimes multiple times a week while Perkins sat out, O’Donkor struggled to make the grade and Goodwin finds fitness hard to come by. Wingers have chopped and changed but he’s stayed the course. And to top it off he’s snuck in to the top 10 for league goals. He’s been a brilliant signing for this club in my opinion and should be right in the mix for player of the season for these reasons.

Would be interesting to know whether we picked Steer out as someone to exploit. He made Eastwood look like Ederson. He was a wreck on the ball all afternoon and quite often teams will leave the ball with the keeper, we pressed right the way through.

Your post also prompted me to take the opportunity to credit Harris. No idea how many sprints he made today but he’s lead the line for us all season long - he’s had to keep doing it sometimes multiple times a week while Perkins sat out, O’Donkor struggled to make the grade and Goodwin finds fitness hard to come by. Wingers have chopped and changed but he’s stayed the course. And to top it off he’s snuck in to the top 10 for league goals. He’s been a brilliant signing for this club in my opinion and should be right in the mix for player of the season for these reasons.
Really good comments on Harris.
His fitness and reliability has been a huge reason why we now should make the play offs.
Imagine had he been injured for a while.

You're not wrong. Harris was immense today and gave Knight in particular an awful time. For the first half at least, as they then subbed him off. I watched Sparky leave a little on him a couple of times and give him some verbals. Pretty sure he had something to say to Steer after he scored the penalty too. Much of his time at Cardiff was playing out wide and it's looking like he's matured into that centre forward role. I recall thinking he was naïve earlier in the season to get sent off against Port Vale after Smith and Iacovitti gave him some rough treatment and he lost his head. Today it was all on his terms and he was bullying their defence, which was a real pleasure.

He also could've had an assist if only Browne had beat Steer.

Also, I'm usually not a fan of the whole 'weren't the fans great today' patting each other on the back stuff, but the atmosphere genuinely was so, so much better today and it added to the enjoyment of the afternoon. In fact I cannot remember the last time I felt as invested in a game.

Well done to all who have made the effort to get things going again. Special shout out to Joe Nichols who I know has tried to hard to recapture the feeling of the Appleton era. Great stuff, mate.
In fairness, this game after two four nils on the trot, if the atmosophere doesn't spark we need shooting

can’t change the team after that performance long and centre back looked better than moore in my opinion

You're not wrong. Harris was immense today and gave Knight in particular an awful time. For the first half at least, as they then subbed him off. I watched Sparky leave a little on him a couple of times and give him some verbals. Pretty sure he had something to say to Steer after he scored the penalty too. Much of his time at Cardiff was playing out wide and it's looking like he's matured into that centre forward role. I recall thinking he was naïve earlier in the season to get sent off against Port Vale after Smith and Iacovitti gave him some rough treatment and he lost his head. Today it was all on his terms and he was bullying their defence, which was a real pleasure.

His effort levels look the same to me as game week one. It’s quite incredible. The goals dried up a bit for him at times but his effort has always been there and it’s clear the whole team has come on leaps since then. We talk a lot about solid, robust signings that we’ve often been starved of and I don’t think they come much better than Harris.

He’s got a 20+ goal season in him, there’s no doubt. He will surely get 15 at least this year which is nothing to knock when you do so much else for the team as well.

I was going to make this point, I'm one who has thought we're too soft and have been for some time so it was nice to see someone willing to give a bit of verbal out and a little shove after the ball has gone.

Along with Murphy the main positive of Des' reign in terms of player performance. No one could ever criticise his work rate but he struggled to influence games earlier in the season, that's a goal every 194 minutes under Des compared to one every 313 under Manning and his all round game is also so much better. Great player to have in the squad and I wouldn't be surprised to see him score another 2 or 3 before the playoffs.

In fairness, this game after two four nils on the trot, if the atmosophere doesn't spark we need shooting
Said the same before the match, fully expecting it to be decent for 15 mins and then fall away again. But today it was genuinely good for most of the match, and I think it's worth acknowledging as much.

Thought Fin Stevens did well today after not starting a game for a month. He had to defend against good opponents in Burrows and Mason-Clark.

Stevens defended well overall was good with the ball and delivered a quality cross for RR’s second goal.

GLDUJjlXoAEOE2t

can’t change the team after that performance long and centre back looked better than moore in my opinion
He gets a lot of flak as a right back but CB he always does a very good job. He is no nonsense and very disciplined. He is also very calm with the ball at his feet.
If Brannagan is fit for Tuesday though I’d still put him in over McEachran even though I thought JM had a great game today.

Stevens defended well overall was good with the ball and delivered a quality cross for RR’s second goal.

Bodin's goal was brilliant, but the 4th was my favourite today.

Dale did brilliantly to pick up the ball, stand up their defense and lay it back perfectly for Stevens. He then sent in an utterly sublime first time ball, hard and fast to find RR arriving like the proverbial sack of bricks.

It was a thing of beauty.

Back
Top Bottom