Away Match Build Up 10/09/2022: L1 - Shrewsbury Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not everyday that a reigning monarch dies. A period of reflection and respect may well help the country.
It will no doubt help Oxford United redress the issues they’ve had with injuries, and maybe emerge stronger.

I doubt that's the reason why people think it's the right decision.
Exactly my point Scotchers. It's easy to say 'right decision' to cancel if you have a comfortable life. You're not saying it because you have a comfortable life, but you can say it because you didn't have to go out this weekend and earn money to put food on the table for your family.

I think the footballing powers that be were a bit 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' here.

It is what it is. From a selfish point of view, our injured players will be a week nearer fitness.

In addition, all the small/independent businesses who will have planned for events this weekend who will have wasted time and money on supplies/staff they will no longer need, especially during a time of high inflation and economic uncertainty.

Easy to say 'right decision' if you already have a comfortable life.
No it’s not.

Those seeking / wishing that the game should be played do for self centered reasons ( booked a hotel, fxxx all else to do )
They clearly do not recognise the mood of the nation and the overwhelming grief at this time.
Being alive at such a milestone of our history should be played out as such, in celebration of the Queens life
A poxy footy game tames into total insignificance
GSTQ.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree with you. It’s just the numerous posts circulating on social media in the last 12 hours, the 1% will create the bigger headlines unfortunately. Don’t think they want to take the risk until after the funeral.
As with everything on social media it's people reacting to the 1% that give them their sought after headlines.

I told myself not to come into this thread and get wound up by reading the opinions of those who cannot, for one weekend, respect the wishes of the vast majority and understand that a game of football will be cancelled because of the death of our monarch, the longest serving monarch in history, and a woman for whom this country owes so much. I failed that challenge but that’ll do it for me. I’ll be back for Tuesdays game. God Save the King.

I told myself not to come into this thread and get wound up by reading the opinions of those who cannot, for one weekend, respect the wishes of the vast majority and understand that a game of football will be cancelled because of the death of our monarch, the longest serving monarch in history, and a woman for whom this country owes so much. I failed that challenge but that’ll do it for me. I’ll be back for Tuesdays game. God Save the King.
How on earth do you know that is the wishes of the vast majority?

Exactly my point Scotchers. It's easy to say 'right decision' to cancel if you have a comfortable life. You're not saying it because you have a comfortable life, but you can say it because you didn't have to go out this weekend and earn money to put food on the table for your family.
Again, I very much doubt that people are looking at their personal finances or ignoring those of others. This is a once in a lifetime event for millions of people and many of them want to show their respect. Of course there will be those who will disagree, and those who will be affected in different ways by the decision. That is inevitable. But it's far too simplistic and disrespectful to tar those on either side of this as selfish etc.

Whatever decision was made, you'd have one side of the argument unhappy. It's not the decision I would have made, but I understand and respect the decision and the reasons for it being made.

It's only a game of football - and one that will be replayed later. Even if it's not the decision I would have made, it doesn't mean it's not the right decision. In a few years time none of us will remember how miffed we were at having to postpone a trip to Shrewsbury, but we'll all remember the nationwide mourning of the loss of our Queen.

Those seeking / wishing that the game should be played do for self centered reasons ( booked a hotel, fxxx all else to do )
They clearly do not recognise the mood of the of the nation and the overwhelming grief at this time.
Being alive at such a milestone of our history should be played out as such, in celebration of the Queens life
A poxy footy game tames into total insignificance
GSTQ.

When the Queen Mother died 150 people complained about the BBC's insensitive coverage and 1500 complained about Casualty being moved to BBC2.

I respect the decision but don't understand why only Saturdays game has been postponed. Surely all games should be postponed until after the funeral as a mark of respect. Also other sporting events going ahead like the boxing at the O2 isn't right either.

Silly decision.

I don't like the idea of forced mourning and, for some reason, it seems like collective misery is deemed the most appropriate form of respect.

Football can be a great place to bring people together to show respect. We saw that with our own beautiful tribute to Joey Beauchamp last season and we saw it at West Ham last night.

And will all those you have made travel arrangements and booked hotels for tomorrow be reimbursed? I'd say it is unlikely. What about freelancers working in football who will potentially have two weeks without pay during a cost-of-living crisis?

I understand some will disagree, but I don't personally feel like this is the right call.

A little surprised. The Queen (and the monarchy) represented tradition and endurance.
Unions have cancelled strikes out of respect.
Each to their own,

I disagree with the decision.

Totally agree that national anthem, armbands and silence is a far better tribute.

People have to go to work today, nobody is giving cash for them to sit home and mourn, life does go on. It has to. Nobody forces people to go to football but it has been an incredibly tough few years and life is still incredibly tough for many. Football is that release.

I respect the queen hugely but people should be free to pay respects to a very privileged old lady who passed in the way they see fit. Not forced.

Oh well, I only booked the train tickets on Tuesday. I can't spend six hours in Shrewsbury without a match to go to as it is a 7am start not getting home til 11pm.
Looks like Avanti West coast should give me a voucher for the advance tickets London to Wolverhampton and back. Hopefully refund the one day travelcard to London, and the Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury return but they want two lots of £10 admin fees for those tickets.

Any of those saying "correct decision" working tomorrow? Because I still have go do that like a good peasant. That was never getting cancelled but keeping up to date with the football, something to make working on a Saturday a bit easier, is cancelled.

I disagree with the decision.

Totally agree that national anthem, armbands and silence is a far better tribute.

People have to go to work today, nobody is giving cash for them to sit home and mourn, life does go on. It has to. Nobody forces people to go to football but it has been an incredibly tough few years and life is still incredibly tough for many. Football is that release.

I respect the queen hugely but people should be free to pay respects to a very privileged old lady who passed in the way they see fit. Not forced.
Superbly put Kip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom