Away Match Day Thread 09/01/2024: BSMT - AFC Wimbledon vs OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was not the World Cup Final.

90 plus minutes of watching squad dregs passing the football across and back in front of a bunch of orcs.

Thorniley being simply run past for by the first goal. The first time AFC got in our half.

The left side of the defence being simply run past for the second goal. The second time they got in our half.

45 minutes of hearing a supporter wax lyrical about her weekend in the north east watching Newcastle in the Cup while casually slagging off O’Donkor.

Last time I visited Plough Lane , Gary Shelton scored, game took place on my stag weekend

Tonight was memorable for a different reason. It was horrible 😏

Predict we won’t be seeing many of the team that finished the game again. Hope I’m not being too hopeful.
Don't care about this competition. I'd even managed to forget we were playing in it tonight until after it had finished. Now I read this. It's depressed me.

I really thought McGinty would start tonight. I thought they’d protect Eastwood just in case we didn’t sign a new keeper before Carlisle.

They must think McGinty is a long way off what is required.

Maybe to do with rumour that he is off back to Ireland?

Our away record recently has been dreadful. Saw this result coming unfortunately.

I was at the game tonight as a guest of a Wimbledon fan up in the Directors area. I picked up a team sheet and was surprised to see our keeper listed as number 13, Owen Goodman, who I believe is currently on loan at Colchester from Crystal Palace. Don’t know why that would be and if that implies anything or was a simple mistake

Don't care about this competition. I'd even managed to forget we were playing in it tonight until after it had finished. Now I read this. It's depressed me.
Sorry old boy. And I hadn’t even mentioned the weather ,,,

Des definitely needs a positive result on Saturday. 3 defeats in 3 different competitions in 3 games will not look good..

Just back in and can nearly feel my feet again. That was a not very pleasant way to spend a Tuesday evening. Limited thoughts to take away from a pretty nothing night:
  • Thought Goodrham looked really good (seeing his feet move up close is quite an experience, his little legs are just a blur). Best player on the park.
  • Felt Bran and MM seemed like they were under pretty strict instructions not to over-exert themselves, which is probably fair.
  • Woltman started brightly and faded badly, but you do wonder what benefit we got out of starting Henry over him. Got no wish to add to a pile on but against anything other than shattered sides in the last 20 mins of games, it's becoming increasingly clear he just doesn't have the legs or physicality to compete at all any more. Surely would have been more beneficial long term to continue the process of integrating Woltman into the side. Presumably it was to get minutes in Henry's legs but, honestly, at this point, it's looking sadly like a fruitless endeavour.
  • That leftback who came on also looked good. MacIntyre? Is he the lad in from Rangers?
  • There was one first time chip over the top from TG in the first half to an on-rushing Mark Harris, who got in behind and fashioned a good chance, that reminded me a lot of the move that led to our goal v Carlisle in August. Seems those two might have a good connection.
  • A couple of times GOD ran at full pelt and it nearly knocked me off my seat - the guy can absolutely FLY. Genuinely didn't realise he could move that fast. Makes his sort of uncertain jogging the rest of the time even more baffling.
  • Great kit. Do away with that blue thing and wear that for every away game we can.
Shame to be out of this I suppose as I thought we had a real shot of getting to Wembley this year, but think Des opted to protect his players instead in the end, which makes a lot of sense. Roll on Saturday (after what must have been a knackering few weeks for the players).

Just back in and can nearly feel my feet again. That was a not very pleasant way to spend a Tuesday evening. Limited thoughts to take away from a pretty nothing night:
  • Thought Goodrham looked really good (seeing his feet move up close is quite an experience, his little legs are just a blur). Best player on the park.
  • Felt Bran and MM seemed like they were under pretty strict instructions not to over-exert themselves, which is probably fair.
  • Woltman started brightly and faded badly, but you do wonder what benefit we got out of starting Henry over him. Got no wish to add to a pile on but against anything other than shattered sides in the last 20 mins of games, it's becoming increasingly clear he just doesn't have the legs or physicality to compete at all any more. Surely would have been more beneficial long term to continue the process of integrating Woltman into the side. Presumably it was to get minutes in Henry's legs but, honestly, at this point, it's looking sadly like a fruitless endeavour.
  • That leftback who came on also looked good. MacIntyre? Is he the lad in from Rangers?
  • There was one first time chip over the top from TG in the first half to an on-rushing Mark Harris, who got in behind and fashioned a good chance, that reminded me a lot of the move that led to our goal v Carlisle in August. Seems those two might have a good connection.
  • A couple of times GOD ran at full pelt and it nearly knocked me off my seat - the guy can absolutely FLY. Genuinely didn't realise he could move that fast. Makes his sort of uncertain jogging the rest of the time even more baffling.
  • Great kit. Do away with that blue thing and wear that for every away game we can.
Shame to be out of this I suppose as I thought we had a real shot of getting to Wembley this year, but think Des opted to protect his players instead in the end, which makes a lot of sense. Roll on Saturday (after what must have been a knackering few weeks for the players).
Agree Tyler stood out, but his play was all individual, there was hardly any interlinking .
I thought GOD showed glimpses of his pre- injury form that has been missing .
I enjoyed watching Golding, his willingness to go forward and speed,he looked much better there than at right back.
Felt we should have started with the 2nd half eleven, they had so much more pace and as a result we saw far more forward play .
With only 6 minutes to go I was surprised Tyler was subbed rather than Henry, it displayed a lack of wanting to get a goal and hardly saved Tyler for Saturday.
Hopefully we’ll see a new face or two at Carlisle and the return of some we’ve been missing.
Early start- the coach leaves the breezeblock at 07:00 !

Non Lge is his level. He’s clearly out of his depth.
Maybe but no one really knows until he plays regular football ar L2 or NL. We are supposedly interested in a lad from Aldershot for £500k who is a year older than Gatlin and on the back of half a season and 12 goals in the NL. I believe that Gatlin will grow into a very good striker but this past year has been really bad for his development and reflective more of Oxford's recruitment.

It may seem an outlandish comparison now but in Ivan Toneys first 3 league seasons (mainly league 2 and starting more than 50% of games) he played 60 league matches and scored 9 goals.

Playing him as though he were a veteran target man coming on to hold up the ball with 10 minutes to go is not allowing him to develop his game and get enough scoring opportunities

Last edited:
I don’t think people saying he is not good enough anymore is quite the war crime you are making it out to be.

Also pretty certain some people have more stressful jobs than being a league one reserve goalie who has actually had to play some games. Not me, my jobs like the cushy one Eastwood has had for most of this season sitting on the bench, but we probably have the odd person with a proper job on here.
Agree with this. It's a forum, fairly sure that means people are allowed to express their opinions and criticize if they want. Noone is suggesting go round his house and shout obscenities through his bedroom window about how he is s**t now and used to be good (at least I don't think they are).

This post of 'lay off him' basically implies no-one is allowed to express an opinion that he isnt good enough any more. Which btw I think is true, i think he's way past it and gives the whole defence the heebie jeebies (although having JT in front of him doesn't exactly help).

I do agree if he's playing for us on the pitch we should support him 100% rather than berate him from the safety of the stands, and maybe that's more your point here, but not being able to say someone is rubbish on this forum......................??well, might at least cut down the length some of these threads.......................,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom