Away Match Day Thread +++ 04/05/2019 Luton Town v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Interesting stats for season:
Home W11 D4 L8 GF 34 GA 27
Away W4 D11 L8 GF 27 GA 34
To the nearest goal, we were exactly as crap away from home as we were good at home

Jesus , the whole experience today screamed spangles, space hoppers and Harry the dog . Half expected Norris McWhirter to be be behind the goal measuring up the seat leg room for Guinness Book of Records purposes.

In a way thoroughly enjoyable though Spoke to a number of Luton fans who were very pleasant and knowledgeable on way back.

They were too good for us; actually no disgrace to lose to such a decent team. We gave thrm a game.

Thought Jones looks like a splendid prospect. Whyte should have been on at the start. Browne and Garbutt good fitfully.

On debit side Henry and Mackie very poor.

We struggled with their pace and technique on flanks and Long looked out of his depth.

Eastwood had a fine game.

Roll on 19/20; it’s been an entertaining season and think we can build on progress made.

Did my ears deceive me, or did someone call into Rad Ox and slag off Nico Jones for his performance? For a 17 year old scholar, he made the mistakes you'd expect, but also performed well against 2 teams in the play off hunt. What sort of miserable **** are you to do that?

Jesus , the whole experience today screamed spangles, space hoppers and Harry the dog . Half expected Norris McWhirter to be be behind the goal measuring up the seat leg room for Guinness Book of Records purposes.

In a way thoroughly enjoyable though Spoke to a number of Luton fans who were very pleasant and knowledgeable on way back.

They were too good for us; actually no disgrace to lose to such a decent team. We gave thrm a game.

Thought Jones looks like a splendid prospect. Whyte should have been on at the start. Browne and Garbutt good fitfully.

We struggled with their pace and technique on flanks and Long looked out of his depth.

Roll on 19/20; it’s been an entertaining season and think we can build on progress made.
It seems like Whyte is carrying a minor hamstring injury, so in view of his pending international commitments, he was put on a pitch count today to minimise his injury risk.

The guy scored 2 of their goals was an ex scummer, John Moncur son.. probably why he celebrated in front of us.

Did my ears deceive me, or did someone call into Rad Ox and slag off Nico Jones for his performance? For a 17 year old scholar, he made the mistakes you'd expect, but also performed well against 2 teams in the play off hunt. What sort of miserable **** are you to do that?

No - your ears did not deceive you. The guy who calls Rad Ox only when we lose (Paul) had a go at Jones who did pretty well
I thought for a kid of 17 against a top L1 team. At least we have not had to suffer Paul having a pop at Robinson for a few months.

He was last was put on air after we lost at Gillingham on March 9th.

Last edited:
The guy scored 2 of their goals was an ex scummer, John Moncur son.. probably why he celebrated in front of us.
He played very well but that was really unclassy especially at the start of a game that didn’t have all that much depending on it. Just encouraged their hilarious 70s fans. I did think the guys in the box were quite funny, wealthy looking older guys who just couldn’t help themselves

No - your ears did not deceive you. The guy who calls Rad Ox only when we lose (Paul) had a go at Jones who did pretty well
I thought for a kid of 17 against a top L1 team. At least we have not had to suffer Paul having a pop at Robinson for a few months.

He last was put on air after we lost at Gillingham on March 9th.
I'm glad it wasn't a figment of my imagination! To call in and specifically pick on a 17 year old is a strange and rather sad view of some of our fan base. Why bother?

Whyte didn't start due to a slight injury.
You were there so don't disbelieve you but RO suggested that Mackie did well.
Long out of his depth. Really? He hasn't been against Doncaster, Charlton and Coventry so could he be excused for having a poor game or playing against a really good player?

I'm glad it wasn't a figment of my imagination! To call in and specifically pick on a 17 year old is a strange and rather sad view of some of our fan base. Why bother?
Not a reflection of our fan base. Just an odd modern life situation where the occasional person seems to want to just criticise.
Fortunately these people are few in number.
Somebody suggested that the last time this person called in was Gillingham away... very sad

Whyte didn't start due to a slight injury.
You were there so don't disbelieve you but RO suggested that Mackie did well.
Long out of his depth. Really? He hasn't been against Doncaster, Charlton and Coventry so could he be excused for having a poor game or playing against a really good player?
Luton were very fast especially down the left, so he could have been at fault at times. We had a lot of the game but they moved forwards so quickly once we lost the ball

Not a reflection of our fan base. Just an odd modern life situation where the occasional person seems to want to just criticise.
Fortunately these people are few in number.
Somebody suggested that the last time this person called in was Gillingham away... very sad
It's a minority, but still.
giphy.gif

WTF, how does, maybe get to a game yourself sound, fcuking idiot. jones gives away a freekick, shot taken, goal! we have a mountain to climb after 3 minutes. Last week it was an own goal.
He is a raw talent, who in a few years may well make a damn good player. Mous should have played today in the centre, for this game.
Simply my opinion, don't like it then jump off a cliff, like a lemming would.

You were probably one of those saying how crap Mous was when he last played at centre back. In fact, you always manage to find someone to slag off and then whine when Robinson criticises anyone!

Jones is 17. He has been given a couple of games to give him first team experience but knowing that he still has more development needed. He has proved to be a really good prospect who has made a mistake or two, but owned it and kept his head when others would have dropped theirs. That shows real maturity and I'm sure he'll continue to grow and will have a good career ahead of him.

So, only my opinion, but maybe you should be the one jumping off a cliff and do us all a favour!!

Luton’s two fullbacks (James Justin and Jack Stacey) are the best in the league and they showed why today with their energy and quality on the ball. The rumour is that Justin could be off in the summer as he has lots of suitors.

In midfield Shinnie, MPanzu, McCormack, Lee and especially Moncur were just too good for us over the piece.

Last edited:
Luton’s two fullbacks (James Justin and Jack Stacey) are the best in the league and they showed why today with their energy and quality on the ball. The rumour is that Justin could be off in the summer as he has lots of suitors.

In midfield Shinnie, MPanzu, McCormack, Lee and especially Moncur were just too good for us over the piece.

This is what I was saying the other week. Fullbacks play an important role in successful teams and that I don’t believe ours, especially Long isn’t at the standard you require to be successful.

I’m still not convinced that Garbutt is good enough, and I’d ship Henry off.

This is what I was saying the other week. Fullbacks play an important role in successful teams and that I don’t believe ours, especially Long isn’t at the standard you require to be successful.

I’m still not convinced that Garbutt is good enough, and I’d ship Henry off.

I think we've already seen how ridiculous your views are on players ability. In fact, I go as far as to say that we should double the wages of everyone you want shot of. You get things wrong so often then it'll prove to be a real investment opportunity!!

He was last was put on air after we lost at Gillingham on March 9th.
He was also inexplicably trying to hope that we didn't rely on Nico next season..as when Nelson prob. goes..as if that was the plan and not the learning opportunity that if clearly was.

Didnt think we looked that bad, Ref was ridiculous in the first half. Honestly never felt the urge to shout the C word so much in 45 mins (I dont mean 'cheat' either). Henry looked off his game, Whyte should have started, didnt think Mackie was having much joy. Wouldn't say Long had his best game but fatigue and playing against two of the best left sided players in the Div it was always going to be a tough ask.

Dont feel the need to say much more, we are staying up, Luton will come straight back down, Swindon can look forward to another season minding that gap.

Awful town.
Awful fans.
Pretty good day out.

Back
Top Bottom