Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
We offered Shandon Baptiste a contract when he'd had bad injuries previously and that didn't work out too bad. Sam Long also.
They were already here, so we knew all about them and their injuries, we didn't actively go and seek them out!

So is Bodin a winger or striker? Does this mean Harrison will stay a Pompey player now?

Agree, and those players have also come in - McGuane, Williams and more to follow, I'm sure. But to get those 'next level' players a lot of people want, we either need to pay big bucks or accept they may be slightly flawed in some way. I'm sure we will recruit other more reliable players as well so my view is I don't mind the odd risk like this. He's free and only got a year - we aren't tied to him for long. I'm not suggesting in League One the players don't run around, but the ability on the ball in the Championship is significantly higher and it takes it's toll on the body chasing the ball that much more every week.

I've been wrong before and I'll accept being wrong again if he only manages 10 games and ends up back at Bristol Rovers in the summer!
I truly hope you are right and he has a great , injury free , season. A talented player 👏

We offered Shandon Baptiste a contract when he'd had bad injuries previously and that didn't work out too bad. Sam Long also.
And sold him after 20 odd games only for the poor guy to get another serious injury after a short time at Brentford.
Sam only becoming a regular at the age of 25/26 probably partly down to this .

He’s hardly going to sign anyone he knows won’t get on the pitch as it’s no help to him
That's exactly what he kept doing when he kept giving Rob Hall new contracts every season!

And he knew Thorne and Winnall were nowhere near full fitness, let alone match fit, and knew they were gonna need their own pre seasons, and would need constant managing throughout the season, and said as much when he signed them!

He knows Mous has pretty much had it now, but has still offered him a new deal!

He also knows full well, all about Bodins injury record, and lack of games in recent years, and will know he will be severely lacking match fitness, but he's offered him a contract anyway!

I get the impression he's a sucker for a sob story, and thinks he's some sort of saviour, who can save these players' careers, whilst being hailed a genius, when we end up with Championship quality players here, who we'd never usually have a chance of getting, if they weren't the crocks they've unfortunately become.

Well I'm sorry to have to remind Robbo, but we're Oxford United football club, NOT Oxford United rehabilitation centre!

Talking facts, or talking rubbish?
I don't think there will be many on here that dispute KR saying he was looking to make 7 signings. This was after McGuane had signed-up. He went on to say that 3 would be made before the season starts and 4 more before the transfer window closes at the end of August.
No doubt this could change if we have player trading when replacements are needed.

At the time of his statement the Squad limit size of 20 was still a possibility. Has that changed now? At the moment we have a 21 man squad. Therefore, it’s more than likely we will see under 21’s incoming as they would not count in any squad limits.

So? They were still major injury risks and we had them on contract.
They were already contracted OUFC players when they got injured, should we have just got rid of them when they got injured then?!?

Things like that are unfortunate, but it happens in squads, players get injured.

But like I've said, we're not talking about players who have had a few minor, niggling injuries, that just need sorting once and for all, those players are maybe worth the odd gamble, we're talking about players who have been dogged by multiple, major injuries, and have hardly played for 2-3 seasons, and I don't think we should keep bringing players like that into the club, when we know they have such atrocious injury records, and I don't know how many times we have to be bitten on the a**e before we stop doing it.

That's exactly what he kept doing when he kept giving Rob Hall new contracts every season!

And he knew Thorne and Winnall were nowhere near full fitness, let alone match fit, and knew they were gonna need their own pre seasons, and would need constant managing throughout the season, and said as much when he signed them!

He also knows full well, all about Bodins injury record, and lack of games in recent years, and will know he will be severely lacking match fitness, but he's offered him a contract anyway!

I get the impression he's a sucker for a sob story, and thinks he's some sort of saviour, who can save these players' careers, whilst being hailed a genius, when we end up with Championship quality players here, who we'd never usually have a chance of getting, if they weren't the crocks they've unfortunately become.

Well I'm sorry to have to remind Robbo, but we're Oxford United football club, NOT Oxford United rehabilitation centre!
And Mc Guane is coming back from injury and when we signed him he said he SHOULD be ready to start the season

Baptiste had 2 or 3 bad injuries but that sucker Robbo extended his contract then sold him for far more money than we've spent on all the other players combined.

And George Thorne was exceptionally unlucky. He arrived in reasonable condition and had an extended preseason to get him match fit. Once fit he played a couple of times as a sub before starting against West Ham. He then had a freak injury with a badly dislocated shoulder after looking pretty decent for the 20 minutes he was on the pitch. Had that injury not happened, then we may have seen someone who was capable of being head and (busted) shoulders above this level.

Just because a transfer doesn't work out it doesn't mean that it was a bad decision to bring them in.

But all signings have a medical 👍
Exactly, but there's a big difference between passing a medical, and being match fit, staying match fit, and having a long history of NOT being able to stay match fit.

But after all the medicals, and knowing what we know about these players' injury records, and their inability to stay match fit, we sign them anyway. It's mental.

Baptiste had 2 or 3 bad injuries but that sucker Robbo extended his contract then sold him for far more money than we've spent on all the other players combined.

And George Thorne was exceptionally unlucky. He arrived in reasonable condition and had an extended preseason to get him match fit. Once fit he played a couple of times as a sub before starting against West Ham. He then had a freak injury with a badly dislocated shoulder after looking pretty decent for the 20 minutes he was on the pitch. Had that injury not happened, then we may have seen someone who was capable of being head and (busted) shoulders above this level.

Just because a transfer doesn't work out it doesn't mean that it was a bad decision to bring them in.

Isn’t whether the transfer works out (ie the club get something good out of the deal) the only metric to use as to whether it was a good decision to sign a player? Bit crackers to suggest otherwise.

Exactly, but there's a big difference between passing a medical, and being match fit, staying match fit, and having a long history of NOT being able to stay match fit.

But after all the medicals, and knowing what we know about these players' injury records, and their inability to stay match fit, we sign them anyway. It's mental.
🤞

For a start, from what was reported at the time, Robbo didn't want to sell Baptiste, it was a decision that was made at board level, and Robbo was unhappy about it, and if Robbo kept giving a crocked Rob Hall new contracts, who's to say he wouldn't have tried to keep Baptiste, regardless of his injuries?

And for all his obvious talent, Thorne NEVER looked remotely fit, let alone match fit, and from what I can see, he has never played since he was eventually released by us!

The odd gamble is always worth the risk, but Robbo takes too many gambles, too often, and it's cost us, too many times.

There have been times in the last two seasons, due to injuries, when we desperately needed more options in the squad, and who knows how the last couple of seasons would've panned out, if we'd had less crocks, and fitter options in the squad?

Isn’t whether the transfer works out (ie the club get something good out of the deal) the only metric to use as to whether it was a good decision to sign a player? Bit crackers to suggest otherwise.

The reason behind signing someone can be valid without it working out.

Fernando Torres - scores for fun at Athletico and Liverpool, can't hit a barn door at Chelsea.

Harry Kewell - scoring and assisting hat fulls at Leeds, barely makes an impact at Liverpool.

Juan Sebastian Veron - World class in Italy, dog s**t in Manchester.

All looked great on paper, but didn't come off. But do you blame those who did the deal, or just accept that with hundreds of variables these things don't always go as planned.

The reason behind signing someone can be valid without it working out.

Fernando Torres - scores for fun at Athletico and Liverpool, can't hit a barn door at Chelsea.

Harry Kewell - scoring and assisting hat fulls at Leeds, barely makes an impact at Liverpool.

Juan Sebastian Veron - World class in Italy, dog s**t in Manchester.

All looked great on paper, but didn't come off. But do you blame those who did the deal, or just accept that with hundreds of variables these things don't always go as planned.
Totally different situations!

They weren't crocks, with atrocious injury records, that should never have been brought into the club, they were quality players, who just struggled to settle and find form.

Surely you must see the difference?!?

If it’s only a one year contract then I don’t really see the risk, I assume we’re not paying him huge wages and maybe even a ‘pay as you play’ type thing. The same with Thorne - wasn’t he pretty much playing for free for a lot of his time here? Worth taking a gamble with a player if that’s the case.

Shame we didn’t only offer Winnall a one year deal, as let’s be honest we probably wouldn’t be renewing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom