Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm - there was a time when we almost lost at home to Carlisle in the first season where if we had we were in a relegation fight and MAPP kept insisting on Plan A - pretty tippy tippy football. At the time, the Conference memories were raw and I for one was questioning his inflexibility of system when some basic 1-0 wins were required.
I’m not saying I’m an amazing guru, but i found his style pleasing after too much Wilder dourness and I believed in him, he came over impressively. People on here are prone to panic! I bet he’ll get a good job in the summer after he gets Lincoln promoted.

I’m not saying I’m an amazing guru, but i found his style pleasing after too much Wilder dourness and I believed in him, he came over impressively. People on here are prone to panic! I bet he’ll get a good job in the summer after he gets Lincoln promoted.
Don’t disagree but at the time my mentality was that my football club shouldn’t suffer due to his imho naivety and intransigence and I firmly believe we would have gone out of business if we’d gone down to the Conference again. Fortunately he discovered a Plan B.

But with the bad starts comes his attitude, his comments on players (or not ‘his players’), his stubbornness to change. There were glaring issues that should’ve been addressed at the start of the season, 4/5/6 games in, Eastwood being dropped, Clare being taken out of right back, the general lack of form throughout the side.

He’s far from a bad manager but I think he talks too much and I can’t listen to his interviews, that doesn’t mean I want him sacked though. I do wish he’d sign players fit for the now at the beginning of a season instead of taking 10-12 weeks to get up to speed.

All in all I can see why people were frustrated at the start of the season, it was woeful. By the same token I can see why people are delighted with how we are performing recently, we’ve looked like promotion contenders but because we’re playing well lately people shouldn’t deride those who questioned the start as they were correct in doing so. Of course you’ll get people who are extreme in their views but you get that on both ends of the spectrum
I agree to some extent, he has credit in the bank but i can’t listen to his interviews and even allowing for the bedding in period of a changed squad, it would be nice to get up and running in the first few weeks of the season! I wish he’d shut up about COVID cancellations, unless he has specific evidence and just hold his tongue on the subject of transfers. Other than that, things seem to be settling nicely!

Nope, the last few games havent changed my view completely yet and i stand by what i said. Our start was an utter, utter shambles, it wasnt just the fact we were losing, we were awful, and looked like we didnt care.

Credit to KR for what appears to be a turnaround, but that start was sackable territory without a doubt.
We played well in plenty of the early games .

Well that was impressive today,team tactics and subs all worked perfectly. Ive had my doubts over Karl but he spots good players and then takes some time to get them to gell but he seems to find a winning hand. He also comes over as a decent passionate man who genuinely seems to have bought into the club.

Having to basically rebuild every summer and get understanding throughout the team isn't an easy ask and Karl is a fine manager whose enthusiasm and passion I think we are lucky to have at the club. Yes he gets things wrong and he may say to much at times but he is honest.
To have lost Dickie then had injuries to Atkinson, Ruffles , Gorrin with Clare not working at R/B and Mous knackered was an awful hurdle to overcome coupled with Easty loss of form!

This ^^

I think it is too easy to forget that at our level it is very difficult to keep consistency from one season to the next.

We are usually always having to rebuild as players are sold on and new signings bed in.

Throw in some unforeseen injury‘s and loss of form or personal family problems and you have a very difficult task on your hands with our squad limitations.

After the first 10 games I was finally starting to feel that this wasn’t going to work out for KR this season... But happy to admit that I was probably wrong, and a lack of patience and understanding of the issues KR was having to deal with got the better of me.

KR has now got us back into a good position where we look like we could be worthy of a play off challenge.

Hopefully the players remain fit, remain healthy and KR continues to instil confidence.

We’re currently four places better off than when he took over nearly three years ago. We’ve had some good days since, and some bad days since. Some great results, some terrible ones. Some brilliant runs, some shocking ones. It’s a constant rollercoaster pretty much every season. There is very little flat track, just lots of dips and climbs. You’re likely to be in both the top and bottom four at some point in the same season with him. That’s just how it seems to be. Sometimes it’s really fun and sometimes it’s pretty unbearable, and you never know which one it’ll be from one week to the next. We started last season badly (as per) yet were second on January 1, but then we toppled right down the table into early February before going on another run and bobbing all the way back up into the playoffs, at the exact moment the world shut down and the league was sealed off. He is a manager who will win five on the spin and then lose five on the spin, and vice versa, and you just have to wait and see where that leaves you when it matters.

After more than ten years of managing his CV is not littered with much in the way of genuine achievements, but quite a lot of moments that stick in the mind. When you actually step back and look at where things were at the start versus where they were at the end, across all of his jobs to date, he’s just a pretty normal League One manager. He’ll manage you in League One and he’ll probably leave you right around where he picked you up, but you will have some jollies and a laugh or two along the way, some great days and nights and see the odd brilliant player rock up for a bit. It depends what you want and what you class as success. Some people just want a fun ride and others want tangible progress. So far he can deliver the former but the latter is missing, and that isn’t a criticism but a statement of fact. He had a great couple of years during his stint at MK but couldn’t sustain or rebuild it, and Charlton fans will tell you he was too stubborn to get it right which is why Bowyer took the same group of players and immediately flung them up the table, despite the fact he was so inexperienced that he didn’t even have his coaching badges when he first took them on. Robinson is not a bad manager, he is an okay one who will provide you with the odd moment of brilliance and the odd calamity. He is a League One manager in the same way that you look at certain players and go, “They’re at this level for a reason - if they could be on top of their game regularly they wouldn’t be here.” That can apply to managers and coaches just as much as players. It’s nothing to be ashamed of.

Ultimately he left MK several places worse off than when he took over after more than 6 years. They had one promotion in that time, of course, and a couple of great cup moments, but the end point was ultimately no better than the start point. That’s all you can judge people on - did they leave the club better off than when they found us? Appleton did. Wilder did. Robinson is yet to be able to say that, despite moments of positivity and a lot of bravado. After MK he underachieved at Charlton and moved them about four league places in the space of 16 months, which was still around mid-table, and then Bowyer flicked a switch and off they went like a rocket. He will tell you that happened because of what he built before then; people who were actually there will tell you it was no fun and that he was the one preventing the rocket from taking off. I do remember seeing a team with Napa as a lone striker for most of the game, and the likes of Smith-Brown and Buckley-Ricketts on the pitch, go to Charlton with no manager and turn them over after falling behind twice. Like I say, you’ll rarely get flat track.

I think he’s a very lucky man to be on his third contract here, and to have 3.5 years on his current one. He’s had more contracts than he’s had full years of service despite our current position and our initial position being incredibly similar, and the public a**e wiggling towards Blackpool last season wasn’t his finest moment. Especially as when that kicked off we had just spent all of January slipping down the table and were in a funk. That ended up being quite a humbling experience for him because he rightly took a few slaps the more he seemed to welcome the talk and enjoy talking about the speculation, and he quite literally held his hands up before one of the final home games in front of a crowd, when he walked onto the pitch before kick off and put his hands up towards the stands as if to say, “Sorry, my bad.” He also has a nasty habit of throwing other people to the mob when things aren’t going well, despite spending the rest of the time preaching mental health and talking about players being human beings who need compassion and support etc. He’s done it multiple times during his time in our dugout and it’s not the most attractive quality. He’s certainly always got something to say, for better or worse. Ultimately I think he’s quite an insecure man who wants to be loved, and that when he feels people don’t like him or are actively fed up with him he panics, which is why during bad patches you get these jibber jabber interviews and these moments of deflection in the form of naming and shaming. They come across as attempts to take the heat off himself, because he feels cornered, but in the process he clatters others and seems to start talking in circles and contradicting himself. That is merely an observation and I don’t think it’s unfair - it’s all on the record so it’s hard to argue. Sometimes he comes across as a bit of a calculated populist, and sometimes he comes across as someone who is merely flawed and wants to do his best, and who wants people’s approval. It’s probably a bit of both and somewhere in the middle as a result.

I don’t think ‘either side’ can really claim a win in terms of those who think he’s brilliant and those who don’t. We are where we are, which is basically where we were right at the beginning of his tenure. We’ve been up to the top, we’ve been sat on the bottom, and we have been everywhere in between along the way. Up and down, back and forth, side to side, round and round... at the end of it all we haven’t really moved more than a few inches. I think he’s done very well out of us and that we’ve done okay out of him. But it’s certainly been eventful, and there’s something to be said for that at times.

Some people like him and some merely tolerate him, but I like to think we all want him to succeed because if he does then the club benefits. I would gleefully take a man who I think is a plonker getting Oxford United promoted over a man I think is a terrific bloke achieving nothing.

The reality is that losing Gorrin and Ruffels,and then Brannagan and Atkinson for several games was always going to be challenging. The fact that this also happened at a time when Eastwood and Henry dropped form, and others struggled to adapt to regular football and the poor start was no real surprise.

People blame recruitment, but look at McGuane, Obita and Shodipo (and Atkinson) since they've settled? Kelly also does the ugly stuff well, and Winnall could still prove to be a great signing if he can stay fit.

People talk about sticking with Clare too long at right back, but Long was playing everywhere else, Forde was covering in centre mid and Hanson is only just coming back. Robinson switched Long to right back when he could have and we've looked a much better side since. Eastwood has been poor, but I'm not sure that throwing Stevens into a disorganised defence would have helped. He's come in when the rest of the side has settled and grabbing the chance with both hands. Arguably Robinson has looked long term rather than taking knee jerk decisions, and that is now paying off.

I know we're playing teams at the bottom, but we've also had good results against Hull, Ipswich and Pompey, and Plymouth were no gimme.

So, if you want to blame Robinson for our start, then at least give credit for our turn around. Or we acknowledge that we've got a decent squad and set up that was badly affected by injuries, but is now beginning to show how good it really is.
I agree with everything you've said here.

However, I think those who were raising valid concerns (myself included) were totally justified, as not only were results terrible, but the new recruits looked awful and disinterested, and it was the performance and attitude of the team as a whole (except for Long) that was really worrying, we had injuries that left us short in areas we were ALREADY short in, and there were players in the squad who were not necessarily injured, but were well short of the level of fitness required to compete, and we were in free fall.

Add to that, the fact that Robbo did what he always does during a run of bad results, and started being arrogant, stubborn and egotistical, refusing to accept what needed changing, blaming everyone but himself, and rightly so, people were starting to question his position.

Personally, I try to be as pragmatic as I can, win or lose, and have never said I thought he should be sacked, but there was a point before Christmas, when even I'd had enough, and was starting to lose hope, and had become very frustrated with his stubborn refusal to accept what was wrong, and what needed changing, and even I was starting to wonder if he was the right man for the job.

However, after our recent run of form, results and performances, individually and as a team, I'm more than happy to give credit where it's due, and say a big WELL DONE to Robbo and the lads, for turning things around 👏👏

Let's just hope it continues...

Last edited:
I think the criticism was completely justified. There were substandard performances all round and I suppose we will never know the reasons for that. It was exceptionally bad.
KR even admitted yesterday that the criticism was justified, but in the same breath we must now show appreciation for our performances in December and the new year. The players deserve the plaudits and to enjoy the good press they are getting. We know how capable we are - with the right desire and application we will win more than we lose in 2021.

Due to our recent history I'm still happy to survive in this division. Our financial position with our support means mid table is our position.

We’re currently four places better off than when he took over nearly three years ago. We’ve had some good days since, and some bad days since. Some great results, some terrible ones. Some brilliant runs, some shocking ones. It’s a constant rollercoaster pretty much every season. There is very little flat track, just lots of dips and climbs. You’re likely to be in both the top and bottom four at some point in the same season with him. That’s just how it seems to be. Sometimes it’s really fun and sometimes it’s pretty unbearable, and you never know which one it’ll be from one week to the next. We started last season badly (as per) yet were second on January 1, but then we toppled right down the table into early February before going on another run and bobbing all the way back up into the playoffs, at the exact moment the world shut down and the league was sealed off. He is a manager who will win five on the spin and then lose five on the spin, and vice versa, and you just have to wait and see where that leaves you when it matters.

After more than ten years of managing his CV is not littered with much in the way of genuine achievements, but quite a lot of moments that stick in the mind. When you actually step back and look at where things were at the start versus where they were at the end, across all of his jobs to date, he’s just a pretty normal League One manager. He’ll manage you in League One and he’ll probably leave you right around where he picked you up, but you will have some jollies and a laugh or two along the way, some great days and nights and see the odd brilliant player rock up for a bit. It depends what you want and what you class as success. Some people just want a fun ride and others want tangible progress. So far he can deliver the former but the latter is missing, and that isn’t a criticism but a statement of fact. He had a great couple of years during his stint at MK but couldn’t sustain or rebuild it, and Charlton fans will tell you he was too stubborn to get it right which is why Bowyer took the same group of players and immediately flung them up the table, despite the fact he was so inexperienced that he didn’t even have his coaching badges when he first took them on. Robinson is not a bad manager, he is an okay one who will provide you with the odd moment of brilliance and the odd calamity. He is a League One manager in the same way that you look at certain players and go, “They’re at this level for a reason - if they could be on top of their game regularly they wouldn’t be here.” That can apply to managers and coaches just as much as players. It’s nothing to be ashamed of.

Ultimately he left MK several places worse off than when he took over after more than 6 years. They had one promotion in that time, of course, and a couple of great cup moments, but the end point was ultimately no better than the start point. That’s all you can judge people on - did they leave the club better off than when they found us? Appleton did. Wilder did. Robinson is yet to be able to say that, despite moments of positivity and a lot of bravado. After MK he underachieved at Charlton and moved them about four league places in the space of 16 months, which was still around mid-table, and then Bowyer flicked a switch and off they went like a rocket. He will tell you that happened because of what he built before then; people who were actually there will tell you it was no fun and that he was the one preventing the rocket from taking off. I do remember seeing a team with Napa as a lone striker for most of the game, and the likes of Smith-Brown and Buckley-Ricketts on the pitch, go to Charlton with no manager and turn them over after falling behind twice. Like I say, you’ll rarely get flat track.

I think he’s a very lucky man to be on his third contract here, and to have 3.5 years on his current one. He’s had more contracts than he’s had full years of service despite our current position and our initial position being incredibly similar, and the public a**e wiggling towards Blackpool last season wasn’t his finest moment. Especially as when that kicked off we had just spent all of January slipping down the table and were in a funk. That ended up being quite a humbling experience for him because he rightly took a few slaps the more he seemed to welcome the talk and enjoy talking about the speculation, and he quite literally held his hands up before one of the final home games in front of a crowd, when he walked onto the pitch before kick off and put his hands up towards the stands as if to say, “Sorry, my bad.” He also has a nasty habit of throwing other people to the mob when things aren’t going well, despite spending the rest of the time preaching mental health and talking about players being human beings who need compassion and support etc. He’s done it multiple times during his time in our dugout and it’s not the most attractive quality. He’s certainly always got something to say, for better or worse. Ultimately I think he’s quite an insecure man who wants to be loved, and that when he feels people don’t like him or are actively fed up with him he panics, which is why during bad patches you get these jibber jabber interviews and these moments of deflection in the form of naming and shaming. They come across as attempts to take the heat off himself, because he feels cornered, but in the process he clatters others and seems to start talking in circles and contradicting himself. That is merely an observation and I don’t think it’s unfair - it’s all on the record so it’s hard to argue. Sometimes he comes across as a bit of a calculated populist, and sometimes he comes across as someone who is merely flawed and wants to do his best, and who wants people’s approval. It’s probably a bit of both and somewhere in the middle as a result.

I don’t think ‘either side’ can really claim a win in terms of those who think he’s brilliant and those who don’t. We are where we are, which is basically where we were right at the beginning of his tenure. We’ve been up to the top, we’ve been sat on the bottom, and we have been everywhere in between along the way. Up and down, back and forth, side to side, round and round... at the end of it all we haven’t really moved more than a few inches. I think he’s done very well out of us and that we’ve done okay out of him. But it’s certainly been eventful, and there’s something to be said for that at times.

Some people like him and some merely tolerate him, but I like to think we all want him to succeed because if he does then the club benefits. I would gleefully take a man who I think is a plonker getting Oxford United promoted over a man I think is a terrific bloke achieving nothing.
Couldn’t find a lot to disagree with there. I keep finding myself thinking‘what is Robbo’s brief so far as the Owners are concerned? We have had a throughput of quality players and there is little to suggest that will cease. My impression is that the timing of transfers out is out of his hands so uncertainty is an issue. We seem to be close to a number of younger players shifting up to the first team squad - result as far as I am concerned. I think he has a tangible legacy here, the football has been good most of the time. He drives me mad with his ‘signing two/three/four players next week/ before Saturday’ and I definitely do not go out of my way to listen to him being interviewed but I like the bloke and hope he sticks with us. The Club feels reasonably stable at present and there are positives around the progress some players are clearly making. Overall, I think I’m getting value for money from my Team.

It’s very difficult to dislike Robinson, but boy, is he frustrating! His worst fault is his arrogance/intransigence where he cannot/will not admit his own faults (the Eastwood situation, Clare, the lack of replacement centre backs for instance) and yes, he comes over as a plonker at those times. But his saving grace is that we play football as it should be played. And for better or worse, it’s usually entertaining.

Think its a bigger issue than the Manager as like it or not we are at a level that is probably correct for us....if backed more then I would expect more but the signings made were not 'top end ' of price or player with lots of moulding to be done.
McGuane,Atkinson, Shodipo Clare ,Cooper etc .
Hard to know exactly what the push is with the ground situation hanging over us !

Think its a bigger issue than the Manager as like it or not we are at a level that is probably correct for us....if backed more then I would expect more but the signings made were not 'top end ' of price or player with lots of moulding to be done.
McGuane,Atkinson, Shodipo Clare ,Cooper etc .
Hard to know exactly what the push is with the ground situation hanging over us !
If backed more? Don't you think we spent up to the wages cap?

If backed more? Don't you think we spent up to the wages cap?
That came in this year and is very low, I'm talking keeping hold of key players , signing proven quality for decent fees . I would like to see what other teams wage structure is and compare to ours .
We are going to get a great , competitive side but we are not the biggest spenders on wages in this Division ( top 8-10 I'd imagine)

That came in this year and is very low, I'm talking keeping hold of key players , signing proven quality for decent fees . I would like to see what other teams wage structure is and compare to ours .
We are going to get a great , competitive side but we are not the biggest spenders on wages in this Division ( top 8-10 I'd imagine)
I hadn't really thought of transfer fees relative to wages, so is there no cap on transfer fees? But surely if you pay a transfer fee that will normally mean a pretty high wage will go with it? I would suggest we may be getting better players short term knowing they will not be staying.

Charlton are back in league 1 so for you that must mean bowyer is a league 1 manager too and Milton Keynes got relegated to league 2 and are now a mid table to lower table league 1 team all after Robinson left.as for Robinson getting us to the championship and staying there to prove himself in your eyes that isn’t going to happen with the current stadium situation as every other season we have to sell the best players off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom