Manager/Coach Robbo out. Thread number 2

Should KR go now?

• Yes, now.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Yes, if we don't make the play-offs.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • No, talk again at the end of next season.

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 128 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I happy with the season, yes. Would I be happy with the same points next season, yes.
Yes, I have to say I'd be happy with the same number of points again too. But that doesn't mean I want everything to stay the same. I'd like us to shore up our defence - it's been neglected, with purely attacking players used as full backs, and no defensive midfield player since Gorrin's injury in (checks notes) November.
Why the lack of ambition? Barring a couple of errors at Wembley, we would be in the Championship now, not languishing in League 1. We could, and should have scored more points this season. I'm fed up with the frustration of watching our defence vanish and goals being leaked. I'm fed up with KR being "proud of his players" as more points are dropped. I'm fed up with travelling all over the country to come home disappointed, again.
"We're the greatest team the world has ever seen" aren't we?

I would say don’t change how we play at home as quite frankly we’ve been good to watch and have won a good number of games. It’s the away form, you just got to see more solidity away from home, personally I love to see a solid away performance where we don’t look like being taken part constantly and then you look to counter attack in the last 30 minutes (this when against other top 6 teams).

Robinson deserves and has earned next season with us but get the feeling the pressure is on.

Why the lack of ambition? Barring a couple of errors at Wembley, we would be in the Championship now, not languishing in League 1. We could, and should have scored more points this season. I'm fed up with the frustration of watching our defence vanish and goals being leaked. I'm fed up with KR being "proud of his players" as more points are dropped. I'm fed up with travelling all over the country to come home disappointed, again.
"We're the greatest team the world has ever seen" aren't we?
We can only do what we can, each season the teams change. I was speaking to a Kilmarnock supporting friend and he looked at us, Oxford and he said League 1 looks more like the Championship.

To get promoted we’re going to need a manager who can out-perform his budget. I personally don’t think that Robinson is that man.

I’d love to see the output of a lessons learned exercise. Is Robinson able to effectively identify his teams short-comings and act upon it?

We’ve seen some great football this season, but there have been some glaring errors which have cost us (squad balance etc).

If we’d signed a defensive midfielder then I’m convinced we’d have at least made the play offs. That defensive midfielder would have picked up those loose balls on the edge of the box (failure to do so has cost us points) and Kane would have been far more effective 15-30 yards further forward. A lot of posters highlighted that on here in the Jan window, it was bleeding obvious.

Robinson has handled himself so well in the last couple of years, and I really hope he is the man to get us promoted. I have my doubts but I’m desperate to be wrong.

I'm coming down on the side of giving Robbo one last season to learn from his mistakes and get it right, if not, he can go.

But IF the board were to sack him, my first option would be MApp.

OK, he's not done much at Lincoln this season, but let's face it, it's Lincoln, and he almost got them promoted in his first full season in charge there. He's quality.

He did great things here, yes ok his head was turned by that fat beaver Shakespear, but it happens, and money aside, I bet he regrets it, he was building something here, and we were progressing well, promotion, 2 Wembley final appearances, and just missing out on the playoffs in league one.

He was gaining a reputation for bringing in young players on the fringes of first team football at big clubs, and turning them into senior pros, and providing a springboard for their careers to take off, and lot's of young up and coming players from teams in higher leagues were wanting to come and play for Oxford United and Michael Appleton, it was a great time to be an Oxford fan.

With his contacts in the game, and the resources now on offer at our club, his no nonsense, ultra professional approach, and ability to build strong, balanced squads, imagine what he could achieve...

Absolutely Appleton is first choice for me too.

He knows how to build a squad, and tighten the defence and play entertaining football. I loved his fast flowing counter attacking football. He has the contacts in the game, and with a much increased budget I think he could achieve great things here.

I’d also look at Mark Bonner at Cambridge, young and hungry, and done a great job at Cambridge. Incredible achievement from him, as this has been the toughest Lge 1 since we’ve been here imo.

Find it therapeutic writing my thoughts down on here so apologies in advance for the long post:

Saturday will be weird. Our first totally damp squib game in, what, three years? The question of whether we've progressed in the last 12 months is a really tricky one. I fully take the point, and it is difficult to argue, that finishing outside the playoffs represents regression. (I do think characterising it as 'Playoff final / play off semi / no playoff' is disingenuous - 19/20 was a bizarre anomaly; sure, we technically made the playoff final, but we didn't finish in the playoffs after 46 games, and the playoff games themselves were essentially farces between two completely unfit teams, so I don't think that season can really be used as a benchmark for anything.) It is frustrating that our points tally would have us in the playoffs in pretty much any other year, but the whole point of a table is that it is relative to the other teams in it. I get that.

But I do think that ignores some genuine progress in areas that have been used as sticks with which to beat KR in recent years. The start, while not electric, was much better than the 'slow burner' we normally seem to endure. We did evidence tactical flexibility, with the 5-2-1-2 proving a clever and effective way of getting the best out of our available squad for a period. We improved our record against the top teams, which, while admittedly not hard to do after the appalling record of last year, was still pretty actively good: doubles over Wednesday and MK is a genuinely impressive feat. And, overall, I think we were much more competitive this year. When beaten, we were rarely beaten by more than one goal, and never by more than two. Even with the narrow losses, I can think of a number of games last year - Hull, Blackpool, Sunderland (A) even - where the opposition looked a genuine class above, and we couldn't get near them. In those games especially, we were kept completely at arm's length. That really didn't happen this year - the only game I can think of where we never looked in it was Wycombe (A) (and even then we had Holland missing an open goal at 0-0) (and, thinking about it, maybe Wigan (A) too, despite getting the draw). People point to the Plymouth game, but my overriding recollection of that was bafflement that we weren't three goals to the good after that start to the second half. We could, and really should, have won that game. That's really the story of the season: key moments dictated by fine margins that, by and large, seemed not to fall in our favour. It is the team and the manager's job to ensure those fine margins fall in our favour, true, and far too often they did not. But I do think it is encouraging that we were never too far away from the scales seeming to tip in our favour. In what is widely considered to be a league of generally stronger teams than last year, I think that constitutes legitimate improvement.

On the KR question, to pin my colours to the mast, I really like him. I think he's a great figurehead for the club, I like how he develops players and I like how he has us playing football. But I'm going to try and look at the 'how much credit does he have in the bank' question objectively.

I think much of the improvement articulated above is improvement from KR - the tactical point, in particular. It was also nice to see us develop a bit of the shithousing side of our game, at Wednesday, Ipswich and MK in particular (although that side of our game sounds like it's come round to bite us in the a**e in recent games) - it showed a bit of grittiness and nastiness that we have often lacked. I also think we made some astute signings in both windows: Williams and Bodin were smart players to bring in to supplement the side with L1 experience, Browne is obviously very exciting, Smyth will hopefully continue the conveyor belt of Irish talent and Baldock was, so nearly, inspired. Brown has also played his part. I think KR has demonstrated that he has the capacity to develop and to reflect on his mistakes, which does give me optimism going forward. I do also think that, to an extent, we got unlucky this year; a midfield three of Gorrin behind Kane and CB would have been delicious. Gorrin being out for year, and losing Moore, Baldock and Brannagan at key moments, really did hamper us. I think refusing to acknowledge this is churlish.

But it is difficult not to look at some of our transfer business again with some exasperation. I wrote in a post at the start of February that I just don't see how the rhetoric we hear about 'shortlists of players, club working round the clock all year to bring in players' can be true, and I stand by that. I know that transfers are far more difficult to get across the line than they may appear on the outside looking in, but I just don't know how we failed to fill such glaring holes in our squad for two consecutive windows. The Gorrin injury was unfortunate; not replacing him in January was baffling. Was there really noone we could get in to fill that hole? Similarly, not recruiting Brown until the final day of that window, though he did come good, hardly smacks of sealing the deal on a player that had been identified as a good potential signing from day 1. We also got incredibly lucky with Matty Taylor's fitness this season. The man is getting on and was still having to plough a lone furrow up top every week for months, entirely by himself. It was clear we needed a reliable backup striker for months, but none seemed to transpire. The Baldock signing was great, but even that came after the end of that window, and it seemed like his availability only became apparent late on - hardly a target who had been identified for months, you wouldn't think. I get that there's no point 'bringing in players for the sake of it', see Grayson, but, again, the perceived scrabbling around at the last minute, for positions we knew needed filling, just did not seem to indicate thorough long-term planning.

Additionally, the play style I think can flatter to deceive. We were so open, all season. Whether this is personnel, coaching, game plan, I don't know. But I do think the criticism that, while we play 'Nice Stuff' (and by god, at times, do we), we have shaky foundations is justified. The really strange thing is that KR seems to know this and can set his teams up accordingly. I recall after tricky periods in 18-19 and 20-21 KR set the team up to just not concede for a few games, and to grind out some 0-0s and 1-1s to get some points on the board. It wasn't pretty viewing, but it was necessary in each circumstance. He can do it. So it seems crazy that, for the whole second half of the season, we were quite so porous. That record of goals conceded per match since January is pretty ludicrous. And the buck does stop with him: whether it was recruitment or set up, that level of uncontrolled, basketball-style end-to-end game is not the way to ensure success. He needs to address this.

I don't think we're a million miles off. I think there are reasons for optimism and certainly no reasons for KR to be dismissed in the near future. But another summer of perceived dithering and failing to properly address holes in the squad and I will really start to query what is going on. Hopefully with the millstones of Hanson and Winnall removed from our necks we will have a bit more financial flexibility to get some strong deals done. But with the size of the rebuild needed, I am feeling uneasy. Our only under-contract central midfielders are Gorrin and McGuane (Brannagan, I'm afraid, will leave - we need to accept that - and Sykes is gone). So we need at least two there (assuming no youth teamers step up - what has happened to LCP?). Moore, I believe, is OOC, and McNally will attract interest - so we could conceivably need to recruit at least three CBs. We won't have a LW. We won't really have any pace in attacking areas (Browne aside). Ideally we would bring in a longer-term replacement at LB but I doubt we'll have the capacity to do so (other positions will take priority). A hell of a lot needs to be done.

All in all, a really enjoyable season, though one slightly tainted in hindsight by wondering, with a couple of tweaks and a bit of luck, what could have been. Looking forward to seeing how we can move on next season - a season in which, I think I have to reluctantly agree, KR will be under the microscope.

Gareth Ainsworth.
Wycombe have massively punched above their weight in recent years, and after managing there for 10 years I’m sure he’s ready for a new challenge. Ainsworth would get us promoted.
That would always feel like playing under Ian Atkins. I remember leaving a game saying I know we won and are in the play offs but it feels like a relegation battle. That must be a constant theme for the Chairboys.

Find it therapeutic writing my thoughts down on here so apologies in advance for the long post:

Saturday will be weird. Our first totally damp squib game in, what, three years? The question of whether we've progressed in the last 12 months is a really tricky one. I fully take the point, and it is difficult to argue, that finishing outside the playoffs represents regression. (I do think characterising it as 'Playoff final / play off semi / no playoff' is disingenuous - 19/20 was a bizarre anomaly; sure, we technically made the playoff final, but we didn't finish in the playoffs after 46 games, and the playoff games themselves were essentially farces between two completely unfit teams, so I don't think that season can really be used as a benchmark for anything.) It is frustrating that our points tally would have us in the playoffs in pretty much any other year, but the whole point of a table is that it is relative to the other teams in it. I get that.

But I do think that ignores some genuine progress in areas that have been used as sticks with which to beat KR in recent years. The start, while not electric, was much better than the 'slow burner' we normally seem to endure. We did evidence tactical flexibility, with the 5-2-1-2 proving a clever and effective way of getting the best out of our available squad for a period. We improved our record against the top teams, which, while admittedly not hard to do after the appalling record of last year, was still pretty actively good: doubles over Wednesday and MK is a genuinely impressive feat. And, overall, I think we were much more competitive this year. When beaten, we were rarely beaten by more than one goal, and never by more than two. Even with the narrow losses, I can think of a number of games last year - Hull, Blackpool, Sunderland (A) even - where the opposition looked a genuine class above, and we couldn't get near them. In those games especially, we were kept completely at arm's length. That really didn't happen this year - the only game I can think of where we never looked in it was Wycombe (A) (and even then we had Holland missing an open goal at 0-0) (and, thinking about it, maybe Wigan (A) too, despite getting the draw). People point to the Plymouth game, but my overriding recollection of that was bafflement that we weren't three goals to the good after that start to the second half. We could, and really should, have won that game. That's really the story of the season: key moments dictated by fine margins that, by and large, seemed not to fall in our favour. It is the team and the manager's job to ensure those fine margins fall in our favour, true, and far too often they did not. But I do think it is encouraging that we were never too far away from the scales seeming to tip in our favour. In what is widely considered to be a league of generally stronger teams than last year, I think that constitutes legitimate improvement.

On the KR question, to pin my colours to the mast, I really like him. I think he's a great figurehead for the club, I like how he develops players and I like how he has us playing football. But I'm going to try and look at the 'how much credit does he have in the bank' question objectively.

I think much of the improvement articulated above is improvement from KR - the tactical point, in particular. It was also nice to see us develop a bit of the shithousing side of our game, at Wednesday, Ipswich and MK in particular (although that side of our game sounds like it's come round to bite us in the a**e in recent games) - it showed a bit of grittiness and nastiness that we have often lacked. I also think we made some astute signings in both windows: Williams and Bodin were smart players to bring in to supplement the side with L1 experience, Browne is obviously very exciting, Smyth will hopefully continue the conveyor belt of Irish talent and Baldock was, so nearly, inspired. Brown has also played his part. I think KR has demonstrated that he has the capacity to develop and to reflect on his mistakes, which does give me optimism going forward. I do also think that, to an extent, we got unlucky this year; a midfield three of Gorrin behind Kane and CB would have been delicious. Gorrin being out for year, and losing Moore, Baldock and Brannagan at key moments, really did hamper us. I think refusing to acknowledge this is churlish.

But it is difficult not to look at some of our transfer business again with some exasperation. I wrote in a post at the start of February that I just don't see how the rhetoric we hear about 'shortlists of players, club working round the clock all year to bring in players' can be true, and I stand by that. I know that transfers are far more difficult to get across the line than they may appear on the outside looking in, but I just don't know how we failed to fill such glaring holes in our squad for two consecutive windows. The Gorrin injury was unfortunate; not replacing him in January was baffling. Was there really noone we could get in to fill that hole? Similarly, not recruiting Brown until the final day of that window, though he did come good, hardly smacks of sealing the deal on a player that had been identified as a good potential signing from day 1. We also got incredibly lucky with Matty Taylor's fitness this season. The man is getting on and was still having to plough a lone furrow up top every week for months, entirely by himself. It was clear we needed a reliable backup striker for months, but none seemed to transpire. The Baldock signing was great, but even that came after the end of that window, and it seemed like his availability only became apparent late on - hardly a target who had been identified for months, you wouldn't think. I get that there's no point 'bringing in players for the sake of it', see Grayson, but, again, the perceived scrabbling around at the last minute, for positions we knew needed filling, just did not seem to indicate thorough long-term planning.

Additionally, the play style I think can flatter to deceive. We were so open, all season. Whether this is personnel, coaching, game plan, I don't know. But I do think the criticism that, while we play 'Nice Stuff' (and by god, at times, do we), we have shaky foundations is justified. The really strange thing is that KR seems to know this and can set his teams up accordingly. I recall after tricky periods in 18-19 and 20-21 KR set the team up to just not concede for a few games, and to grind out some 0-0s and 1-1s to get some points on the board. It wasn't pretty viewing, but it was necessary in each circumstance. He can do it. So it seems crazy that, for the whole second half of the season, we were quite so porous. That record of goals conceded per match since January is pretty ludicrous. And the buck does stop with him: whether it was recruitment or set up, that level of uncontrolled, basketball-style end-to-end game is not the way to ensure success. He needs to address this.

I don't think we're a million miles off. I think there are reasons for optimism and certainly no reasons for KR to be dismissed in the near future. But another summer of perceived dithering and failing to properly address holes in the squad and I will really start to query what is going on. Hopefully with the millstones of Hanson and Winnall removed from our necks we will have a bit more financial flexibility to get some strong deals done. But with the size of the rebuild needed, I am feeling uneasy. Our only under-contract central midfielders are Gorrin and McGuane (Brannagan, I'm afraid, will leave - we need to accept that - and Sykes is gone). So we need at least two there (assuming no youth teamers step up - what has happened to LCP?). Moore, I believe, is OOC, and McNally will attract interest - so we could conceivably need to recruit at least three CBs. We won't have a LW. We won't really have any pace in attacking areas (Browne aside). Ideally we would bring in a longer-term replacement at LB but I doubt we'll have the capacity to do so (other positions will take priority). A hell of a lot needs to be done.

All in all, a really enjoyable season, though one slightly tainted in hindsight by wondering, with a couple of tweaks and a bit of luck, what could have been. Looking forward to seeing how we can move on next season - a season in which, I think I have to reluctantly agree, KR will be under the microscope.

Small point, we have an option on Moore and the club have already said it will be activated iirc. Also, I'm hoping Goodrham makes a push to be part of the 1st squad so that would be a winger covered.

Yes all good sensible stuff. Is it coming out as a paperback?

We may have gained 1 point more than last season with one game to go but that's because the bottom 7 have been dire, normally 50 points will keep you up, this season someone will stay up with 43 points or it could even be lower depending on the last games results.
Not sure that I agree with that.
Crewe and Doncaster were poor but the bottom sides seemed as good as in previous season.
I think that the top teams have got a lot stronger and the League generally is by far the best since we have come back up.

Not sure that I agree with that.
Crewe and Doncaster were poor but the bottom sides seemed as good as in previous season.
I think that the top teams have got a lot stronger and the League generally is by far the best since we have come back up.

Put it this way, the gap between the top 11 sides this season to the bottom 4 is 27 points with one game to go. Last year it was 20. The gap from 6th place to 21st place is 40 points with one game to go, last year it was 27 , the bottom sides haven't been taking as many points off the top half this season and that's why 75 points wasn't enough to make the play offs.

I find people suggesting Appleton to come back as lazy as suggesting ex players when trying to think of players to sign in a window.
MApp was excellent for us at the time but really hasn’t achieved anything since he has left us.

I’d even say Robinson has achieved more in the last 3 years than MApp has.

Put it this way, the gap between the top 11 sides this season to the bottom 4 is 27 points with one game to go. Last year it was 20. The gap from 6th place to 21st place is 40 points with one game to go, last year it was 27 , the bottom sides haven't been taking as many points off the top half this season and that's why 75 points wasn't enough to make the play offs.
I get that.
I reckon that is due to the top sides and table being better this year rather than the bottom teams being worse.
The overall standard of the league has improved

I find people suggesting Appleton to come back as lazy as suggesting ex players when trying to think of players to sign in a window.
MApp was excellent for us at the time but really hasn’t achieved anything since he has left us.

I’d even say Robinson has achieved more in the last 3 years than MApp has.
He got crappy Lincoln into the playoffs but their performance this year would have given this board a meltdown. He doesn’t strike me as someone who’d come back anyway

Those calling for his head have to say careful what you wish for. I'd much rather be watching a side get close playing entertaining football than a 'functional' side who gets promoted. Can see why the bright lights of the Championship playing against PL parachute money can be enticing.

Those calling for his head have to say careful what you wish for. I'd much rather be watching a side get close playing entertaining football than a 'functional' side who gets promoted. Can see why the bright lights of the Championship playing against PL parachute money can be enticing.

Mental post.

I get that.
I reckon that is due to the top sides and table being better this year rather than the bottom teams being worse.
The overall standard of the league has improved

While the standard might have got slightly better, the top 7 being more consistent at grinding out results is definitely a factor, everyone expected a few results to go against the top sides in the run in and hardly any have. One team could miss out on the play offs with 83 points. ( that was enough for second last year). Hope it not like this next season.

I'm sure the board would rather get promoted. Money talks.

Those calling for his head have to say careful what you wish for. I'd much rather be watching a side get close playing entertaining football than a 'functional' side who gets promoted.
It's not an 'either/or' though. There's no rule saying an attractive passing team shouldn't have a fully functional (and fully staffed) defence.

wow

Give me promotion with a ‘functional’ side every time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom