National News National Lockdown coming

But the problem is unless the garden centres close of the non essential then it makes a mockery although a bit late to plant seeds for fruit and veg to grow during this and possible extension. Plants, lawnmowers, ornaments and garden furniture aren’t essential. Back to my original post the first time round they weren’t classed as essential whereas this time they are,’this is supposed to be a strict lockdown when to be honest it’s no worse than their Tier2
Bit like supermarkets then bazzer? They non essential too?

It probably shouldn't be part of the equation, but the flip side is that nurseries were absolutely decimated in the Spring because they had already invested heavily in stock for their busiest and most profitable time of the year. They ended up having to trash or give away huge amounts of stock and made huge losses as a result.

I think they have been hit harder than most sectors by this. As an example, the owner of the Hairy Pot plant company reckons it will take them nigh on a decade of normal business operations to recoup what they lost this year. Another lockdown could well finish a considerable number off for good.

Not to mention the fact that gardening and being outdoors is generally very good for your mental wellbeing.

It is a real shame we can't do similar for the creative arts sector - that really needs help...and what they do is generally good for us!

Garden centres are generally outdoors too which helps. They should move the tills outside if they haven't got screens etc up.

Isn't the point more that we shouldn't be encouraging people to go out shopping at the moment? Garden Centres aren't essential in the provision of food, that's just a bonkers argument. But they do encourage people to drive to them and wander around, and potentially spread the virus.

Isn't the point more that we shouldn't be encouraging people to go out shopping at the moment? Garden Centres aren't essential in the provision of food, that's just a bonkers argument. But they do encourage people to drive to them and wander around, and potentially spread the virus.
I agree. I'm not saying I agree with the decsion to keep them open - far from it!

But I do wonder if that was the kind of "logic" in play here!

Maybe there's a big Tory donor who owns loads of Garden centres :unsure:

Yes, I don't think you can have a proper lockdown if you start making numerous exceptions.

We already have schools, universities and food shops.

If we start adding in garden centres, golf clubs, kids sport etc etc etc then we might as well not bother. People are supposed to be staying at home as much as possible, not driving about to buy petunias.

Right best get them shut too then boris. Whats your view on pharmacies that also sell umbrellas and slippers?
They can sell medicines but no doubt they will sell what they can but if with your reckoning supermarkets and they sell toys and electrical items especially at this time of year,what about your small retailer who sells toys or electrical items who have to shut for at least a month that’s unfair

Yes, I don't think you can have a proper lockdown if you start making numerous exceptions.

We already have schools, universities and food shops.

If we start adding in garden centres, golf clubs, kids sport etc etc etc then we might as well not bother. People are supposed to be staying at home as much as possible, not driving about to buy petunias.

Mate no garden centres no pak choy

Are you one of these MPs who voted no school meals for starving children?

More people grow their own food the less they have to go shopping for food

This is basic lads come on

More people grow their own food the less they have to go shopping for food

This is basic lads come on
In 4 weeks? As I said, using that as an excuse to keep open garden centres is laughable.

And should you need some seed, then there is this thing called 'The Internet'. On this invention, you can order things to be delivered directly to your door...

...so no need to risk moving a virus about at all.

Come on lad, this is basic stuff. Although I admire your conviction on the point.

Mate no garden centres no pak choy

Are you one of these MPs who voted no school meals for starving children?
I hope you are joking?
We've got an allotment - if you think you are going to be able to grow much in four weeks in November then your fingers are a lot greener than ours!

Another 397 deaths today. Anyone who thought the numbers were peaking are wildly wrong

In 4 weeks? As I said, using that as an excuse to keep open garden centres is laughable.

And should you need some seed, then there is this thing called 'The Internet'. On this invention, you can order things to be delivered directly to your door...

...so no need to risk moving a virus about at all.

Come on lad, this is basic stuff. Although I admire your conviction on the point.
Grow your own folk don't suddenly spring into life in November chap they need supplies all year round. There is no way this lockdown is over in 4 weeks anymore than the last one was.

Food is available online too they aren't closing food shops.

I'm surprised that you would prefer everyone to converge on the same shops at the same time which will end up being the secondary main source of transmission after schools, as opposed to a proportion growing their own and reducing their trips and time at the viral epicentres.

Grow your own folk don't suddenly spring into life in November chap they need supplies all year round. There is no way this lockdown is over in 4 weeks anymore than the last one was.

Food is available online too they aren't closing food shops.

I'm surprised that you would prefer everyone to converge on the same shops at the same time which will end up being the secondary main source of transmission after schools, as opposed to a proportion growing their own and reducing their trips and time at the viral epicentres.
I'm sure the grow your own brigade have enough supplies to weather a 4 week interruption...

Tesco is horrendous, scared the shite out of me the other week in there with the decidedly casual approach to social distancing, I've no doubt there is a problem in food shops, and the same issues will be present in garden centres. But comparing the ability to buy your weekly shop online with being able to get gardening supplies isn't a like for like comparison.

It wouldn't surprise me either way with regards the length of lockdown. I can't see anything changing, but I can see the government being swayed by economy decisions.

Garden centres are a few old farts wasting half a day trying to recognise a strawberry plant in the open air

Its a lot safer than tesco on a Saturday afternoon.

If the argument was that its not about risk its about mitigation then I'd 100% agree but there'd be a LOT of other stuff i'd can before garden centres, including schools

If the argument was that its not about risk its about mitigation then I'd 100% agree but there'd be a LOT of other stuff
This is exactly what I think, I'm not going to try and put a case forward that garden centres are on the virus front line, because it would obviously be nonsense. I think that a lot of other stuff SHOULD be shut, and if we are going to "lock down" then do so properly, not be encouraging people to make what are in most cases frivolous journeys.

Back
Top Bottom