Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do.

Didn't realise someone having a different opinion would upset you so much.
So do I, and I agree with you.

McEachran would be class in walking football. Surprised to see he's only thirty. Plays with the maturity of someone a decade older...

In his defence, he's not had much of an opportunity to find any rhythm, but we can do better.

I don't get the need to lose players from an already tiny squad. Gorrin is on peanuts but could come on for 10/15 minutes in a crucial game that sees us holding on to a point or 3. He is not a starter and isn't going to play a dozen games, but that's why clubs have squads.

It's the same with Henry. A couple of decent showings for 20 minutes is where he's at. A classy player who can link things together if others are doing the running for him. 45 minutes playing as the one up top against Derby was never going to be his game. He would have struggled in that role 4 of 5 years ago let alone a couple of weeks after returning from injury.

With the exception to O'Donkor going out on loam to hopefully come back better, I can see no value in looking to dump the players we have.
I really don't see why you'd opt to keep any player, particularly a senior one, that you wouldn't feel comfortable starting a game or worse yet, actually seeing out 90 mins. It's a madness to me, the idea that anybody would think a player is worth keeping on the books for the 10/15 mins they might be able to give you once or twice a month. Pointless even if they are paid bobbins.

Any experience he's got that made him useful can essentially be eradicated by rustiness and to me it is a real small club mentality to be keeping players like Gorrin around. Would Ipswich have kept him this time last year? What does he offer? If, like Henry, he's great around the dressing room, that's great, pay him to do that and free up a place for someone who will materially contribute to games.

Neither Henry or Gorrin are a threat to our regular starters and when they come on they look finished. Henry hasn't had a decent showing. He stumbles around and looks like he can't break stride. He might know where to be and take a decent touch but he will still have that in his 70's.

For me, both need to go and move with the times. Get people in who make us better.

Has Scarlett done anything at this level to suggest he’s the answer ? Seems to have a Harris-esque scoring ratio. Surely, having gone down the route of signing a forward who isn’t really an out and out number 9, we will go for a tried and tested version of a centre forward this time around ?

I really don't see why you'd opt to keep any player, particularly a senior one, that you wouldn't feel comfortable starting a game or worse yet, actually seeing out 90 mins. It's a madness to me, the idea anybody would think a player is worth keeping on the books for the 10/15 mins they month. Pointless even if they are paid bobbins.

Any experience he's got that made him useful can essentially be eradicated by rustiness and to me it is a real small club mentality to be keeping players like Gorrin around. Would Ipswich have kept him this time last year? What does he offer? If, like Henry, he's great around the dressing room, that's great, pay him to do that and free up a place for someone who will materially contribute to games.

Neither Henry or Gorrin are a threat to our regular starters and when they come on they look finished. Henry hasn't had a decent showing. He stumbles around and looks like he can't break stride. He might know where to be and take a decent touch but he will still have that in his 70's.

For me, both need to go and move with the times. Get people in who make us better.

It makes more sense to do both. The problem hasn't been that we've had injuries, every team has them. It's that we've had them whilst having a completely threadbare squad.

As always, you want to make it very binary. This is not about the starting 11 and no successful side in this league limits itself in this way. This is about building a squad, one transfer window at a time. We can afford to bring in "better" players whilst also having others around that might just make a vital difference.

Henry was praised when he came on against Cambridge in a little cameo. No one is suggesting that we build a team around him but to dismiss any potential contributions are shortsighted.

Gorrin is very limited in what he can do. He was before his knee injuries and is more so now. But 1 nil up, ten minutes to go away to Portsmouth, Brannagan on a booking, could Gorrin be the player to keep the 3 points? And the value of those points could far outweigh the wages he earns between now and May.

It's got nothing to do with a small club mentality, it's the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom