Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Interesting comments from KR this evening suggesting that we want to strengthen despite doing well, but that the data suggests that it’s not a good time to bring in a striker.
Depressing comment. *sigh*

Depressing comment. *sigh*
It's only depressing if you want to make it so.

If you listened to what Robinson said then it all made sense. Firstly that there are meetings planned for this week with January in mind. We've seen Bakrie at the game yesterday so we know that he's here and actively involved. Robinson also made it clear that we are looking to add to the squad when we're on the up.

Robinson spoke about strikers, so that's very clearly a position we are targeting. Other than a back up left back, I'm not sure that we need many more in so it allows us to focus on a key position. He spoke about the stats with January signings generally not making a huge difference. A few years ago we brought in Jerome Sinclair while Sunderland spent millions on Grigg. Both scored 4. The big money deals don't always work any better than short term loans. So the data on players and how likely they are to make an impact is important.

We haven't got it right with Winnall or Agyei, so the fact that we're looking into potential targets with much more data analysis can only be a good thing. We're in a good position and anyone coming in has to be able to make a difference.

Of course it gives the likes of you the opportunity to say that we're being softened up for a disappointing January, but then you find disappointment in almost everything. Unsurprisingly, I'm very optimistic that we're having focused transfer meetings a couple of months ahead of the window opening with a lot of work already being done to identify the right players.

It's all a matter of perspective.

If you listened to what Robinson said then it all made sense. Firstly that there are meetings planned for this week with January in mind. We've seen Bakrie at the game yesterday so we know that he's here and actively involved. Robinson also made it clear that we are looking to add to the squad when we're on the up.

Robinson spoke about strikers, so that's very clearly a position we are targeting. Other than a back up left back, I'm not sure that we need many more in so it allows us to focus on a key position. He spoke about the stats with January signings generally not making a huge difference. A few years ago we brought in Jerome Sinclair while Sunderland spent millions on Grigg. Both scored 4. The big money deals don't always work any better than short term loans. So the data on players and how likely they are to make an impact is important.

We haven't got it right with Winnall or Agyei, so the fact that we're looking into potential targets with much more data analysis can only be a good thing. We're in a good position and anyone coming in has to be able to make a difference.

Of course it gives the likes of you the opportunity to say that we're being softened up for a disappointing January, but then you find disappointment in almost everything. Unsurprisingly, I'm very optimistic that we're having focused transfer meetings a couple of months ahead of the window opening with a lot of work already being done to identify the right players.

Thought Sinclair scored six, I know he had one wrongly ruled out but his goal scoring return when he was without is his best ever.

Robinson made a mistake in not getting in a decent back-up to Taylor in the last window; he has been fortunate that Taylor has managed to play all the matches he has without injury or suspension. And yes, there’s every possibility that it will be a “disappointing January” (you’re covering yourself there, aren’t you?!) so let’s hope he doesn’t make the same mistake again. I’d be delighted to be wrong.
And I appreciate you never are, Scotchers.

Robinson made a mistake in not getting in a decent back-up to Taylor in the last window; he has been fortunate that Taylor has managed to play all the matches he has without injury or suspension. And yes, there’s every possibility that it will be a “disappointing January” (you’re covering yourself there, aren’t you?!) so let’s hope he doesn’t make the same mistake again. I’d be delighted to be wrong.
And I appreciate you never are, Scotchers.
Another striker and a LB will suffice

No-one will be surprised that I still think Agyei would be fine backup to Taylor if he couldn’t play for whatever reason. Scored in his last start and hasn’t usually let us down when starting as a striker. I accept that everyone doesn’t agree though.

For me, I think a backup left back is more important - but I won’t hold my breath for one of those!

Apart from that we’re pretty much stacked with options throughout the side, in my opinion… could be another very good season. Playoffs.

Obvious gaps/cover needed at LB and striker. Both Seddon and Taylor getting run into the ground. Winnall has vanished and Agyei clearly isn't trusted to play significant league minutes.

I've heard we've scouted/scouting Marcus Sablier along with other clubs, however I'm sure we have an extensive list of those being scouted.

Re: KR's comments on Stockton...he's currently sat on 11 goals from 6.35xG. He is running incredibly hot and you would expect his goalscoring to drop as current form is unsustainable.

None the less, interesting comments from KR around the use of data in the process and how the club do their own modelling/projects

Karl said the data suggested it wasn’t a good time to get a striker, but at no time did he say they wouldn’t be trying! I think we will definitely bring in another striker, probably on loan.
The only problem with bringing in a loan from higher up in the pyramid could be the loan club may insist on him playing and that may be a problem if you have to leave someone out. But hopefully we will find out in January.

KR made a comment about Stockton not influencing the game other than scoring a goal yesterday, so don’t think he’ll be top of the list. That and his massive price tag!

I think the fee for Stockton would be too high anyway as Morecambe will want a big fee for him.

I'd like us to look at giving O'Donkor or Smith a chance if a change is necessary before January.

Very optimistic. I am a little surprised that he didn't spend another year with Blackpool in the Championship. He was one of Blackpool's best players in the Play Offs

Was still injured pre season.
Talk of him going back in January.
But with Yates, Madine and Lavery all doing well this season.
Will mean plenty of competition upfront, If he does.

Least with this thread up and running bazzer should stay off the takeover one, 20 goal striker and all that.

It might actually be hard for us to sign players because we are not going to be an easy team to get into, most players moving in January want game time.

With that in mind a couple of players with an eye to the coming seasons who can also be cover this might be the better option? It’s worked in the past.

Obviously we will sign at least two wingers though.

Least with this thread up and running bazzer should stay off the takeover one, 20 goal striker and all that.

It might actually be hard for us to sign players because we are not going to be an easy team to get into, most players moving in January want game time.

With that in mind a couple of players with an eye to the coming seasons who can also be cover this might be the better option? It’s worked in the past.

Obviously we will sign at least two wingers though.
A striker and a LB will suffice thank you very much and I’ll accept 15 goal striker…….

Back
Top Bottom