How will you vote on Thursday?

Who will you vote for in the EU elections?

• Conservative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 42 47.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interestingly 4 (Oxford, South Oxon, Vale of WH & West Oxon) out of 5 Oxon districts Lib Dem polled the most amount of votes in MEP elections- Cherwell district voted Brexit party in first place

Mmm so there is apathy in most of Europe for the European elections.
I cant say that I am surprised...

The turnout in most of Europe was up compared to previous Euro elections according the BBC.

Unfortunately Alistair Campbell had a go at telling us it was a "remain victory" last night, which was frankly embarrassing. He really is quite unpleasant.

I agree that the country is split and the Brexit Party vote could have been higher. But considering that the Brexit Party is a WTO "hardest" Brexit party, I think it was a real kick for the argument that we should leave with no deal. We've been told for months now that "nobody voted for a no deal Brexit" and "nobody wants a no deal Brexit" by politicians. They can't say that anymore.
And in spite of all of the evidence that a no deal Brexit would be a disaster (you can find your own references) you somehow believe that this would be a good move? Explain how please.....

An interesting night of results. Watching Remainers hopelessly spin the result last night and today has been interesting watching. Add this result together with this result, leave the Tories out, etc, hides a fundamental message from a lot of Leavers like me. We haven't gone away in the numbers said we had, and some Remainers have still not accepted the result from 2016 and seek to spin the results to confirm their bias. It perfectly highlights why Brexit has been a shambles.

This tweet sums it up to a point, but is still wishy washy

The absolute sincere pleasure I got this morning seeing Anna Soubry desperately trying to spin the Tiggers result was immense. They got beaten by UKIP in lots of areas but was such a wonderful result! They surely must realise they are nothing but a further dilution of Remain votes created in the bars of Westminster, for Westminster, but seemingly arrogantly still believe they can do something.

The Brexit Parties gains in areas like the Midlands, Wales and such places is a very stark notice point to Labour and the Tories. We all know about the Maybot's many considerable failings, but Corbyn's loss in Islington will hurt him a lot personally and I don't think 2nd referendum will help them as much as the likes of Thornberry and Campbell want it to - it will open their working class heartlands up like never before to save some metropolitan seats in London. Corbyn's policy of fence sitting bit him in the ass and thar be mutiny in the ranks over there. One thing he does well is lose elections.

Nigel Farage looked even more smug than I thought he could this morning. More seats than he achieved under UKIP and a risk worth taking. It's sad our politics is so fundamentally broken that someone like him comes in and has to coalesce the Leave vote because no one else will or wants to risk it. If were in Labour, I'd be extremely worried about winning the Peterborough by election.

Part of me wonders today if the result last night will harden some minds in the Tory MPs about Boris Johnson. No matter how much some despise him, it highlights the votes there for someone with a strong Leave message and provides a strong focal point for activists. They cannot afford to be wishy washy anymore, or appoint another wishy washy leader if they want to succeed. They cannot afford to rely on Farage in Parliament.

An interesting night of results. Watching Remainers hopelessly spin the result last night and today has been interesting watching. Add this result together with this result, leave the Tories out, etc, hides a fundamental message from a lot of Leavers like me. We haven't gone away in the numbers said we had, and some Remainers have still not accepted the result from 2016 and seek to spin the results to confirm their bias. It perfectly highlights why Brexit has been a shambles.

This tweet sums it up to a point, but is still wishy washy

The absolute sincere pleasure I got this morning seeing Anna Soubry desperately trying to spin the Tiggers result was immense. They got beaten by UKIP in lots of areas but was such a wonderful result! They surely must realise they are nothing but a further dilution of Remain votes created in the bars of Westminster, for Westminster, but seemingly arrogantly still believe they can do something.

The Brexit Parties gains in areas like the Midlands, Wales and such places is a very stark notice point to Labour and the Tories. We all know about the Maybot's many considerable failings, but Corbyn's loss in Islington will hurt him a lot personally and I don't think 2nd referendum will help them as much as the likes of Thornberry and Campbell want it to - it will open their working class heartlands up like never before to save some metropolitan seats in London. Corbyn's policy of fence sitting bit him in the ass and thar be mutiny in the ranks over there. One thing he does well is lose elections.

Nigel Farage looked even more smug than I thought he could this morning. More seats than he achieved under UKIP and a risk worth taking. It's sad our politics is so fundamentally broken that someone like him comes in and has to coalesce the Leave vote because no one else will or wants to risk it. If were in Labour, I'd be extremely worried about winning the Peterborough by election.

Part of me wonders today if the result last night will harden some minds in the Tory MPs about Boris Johnson. No matter how much some despise him, it highlights the votes for someone with a strong Leave message and provides a strong focal point for activists. They cannot afford to be wishy washy anymore, or appoint another wishy washy leader if they want to succeed. They cannot afford to rely on Farage in Parliament.

Nobody has a clue whether those Tories voted were either leave or remain just like Labour. That is some serious clutching at straws by Tom Harwood.

Otherwise, I'll just chuck Labour in with the hard remain and call their figure 54.1%.

Both labour and the Tories have leave and remain factions, so it's impossible to put a vote for either party on any side of the argument.

Anyone saying a vote for either of those two parties means a remain or leave vote is being a bit dim.

Nobody has a clue whether those Tories voted were either leave or remain just like Labour. That is some serious clutching at straws by Tom Harwood.

Otherwise, I'll just chuck Labour in with the hard remain and call their figure 54.1%.
He even tweaks the figures again for Leave with a Deal lower down. His point that "Not including the Tory Party as a pro-Brexit vote when doing weird maths to manipulate your result is beyond mental. ". We can all manipulate the figures, which makes them all rather meaningless doesn't it? But a lot of Remain journos seem to be doing it.

How many Green Party votes were for the environment, and nothing to do with Brexit at all? How many SNP votes included votes to Leave, but voted SNP because they always do? Etc etc.

Yes some of the assertions made have been ridiculous.
The only thing that appears likely is that it is still pretty close between remain and leave.
As others have said certainly with regard to the Green Party, many may have voted for green issues regardless of their views on Brexit.

'We can't have radicalised, violent people behaving this way', no Nigel, those milkshakes are one throw away from outright terrorism...t**t

If you take it at face value Brexit Party won. If you perform some speculative maths and mash a few hilarious assumptions in there, the "pro-remain parties" won.

IMO the BBC are actually reporting the result accurately. Great result for the new Brexit Party but country still split down middle.

We'll all go again at a GE, perhaps early next year?

Think that's a fair analysis - but not convinced we'll make it to next year without a GE.

If the Tories now go and vote in a 'No Deal' PM - especially if it's Boris - then I suspect they will lose a 'Vote of no Confidence' at some point before Halloween. There's enough staunch Remainer Tory MPs that will then be willing to put themselves at risk to avoid No Deal (whereas they weren't willing to do that to oust Middle-of-the-Road May).

Course there's absolutely no guarantees that a GE will solve anything. The country seems so hopelessly split that we may well just reelect a parliament, in a slightly different conformation, that still can't reach a consensus. But I think it's the next logical thing to try - especially when the current Commons has made such a complete mess of everything.

Unfortunately Alistair Campbell had a go at telling us it was a "remain victory" last night, which was frankly embarrassing. He really is quite unpleasant.

I agree that the country is split and the Brexit Party vote could have been higher. But considering that the Brexit Party is a WTO "hardest" Brexit party, I think it was a real kick for the argument that we should leave with no deal. We've been told for months now that "nobody voted for a no deal Brexit" and "nobody wants a no deal Brexit" by politicians. They can't say that anymore.
Brexit Party and UKIP campaigned on a Brexit mandate and got 35% of the vote.

Lib Dems, Green, SDP, Change UK campaigned on a remain mandate and got 40% of the vote.

Tories and Labour are massively split with no clear direction and got 25% of the vote.

The only thing that this shows is that there are still massive divisions and a 2nd, 3rd or 4th referendum would likely return 48/52% splits either way.

We're no further forward than 3 years ago and whilst no deal is looking more likely, that will still a mess with all parties squabbling about any future negotiations even after we leave.

Agree, mostly what you say.
However, the Green vote was sizeable across the EU and cannot necessarily be taken as an anti brexit vote.
The fact there was a such low turnout shows so many voters are sick and tired of brexit, either because it has dragged on so long or because there seems to be an increasing discontent with the whole political system

Agree, mostly what you say.
However, the Green vote was sizeable across the EU and cannot necessarily be taken as an anti brexit vote.
The fact there was a such low turnout shows so many voters are sick and tired of brexit, either because it has dragged on so long or because there seems to be an increasing discontent with the whole political system
In fairness Green often do well in these kind of elections. It's a feel good vote but without any real significance.

But I agree that a large number of voters are just fed up either way, myself included!

Some interesting infographics about the Euro Elections. First where the Brexit Party gained the most votes ?
And voters intentions from an Ashcroft poll. Especially pertinent re: the Green party vote

I would hazard an opinion that the only thing that is clear from all this election/campaign/policy wrangling is that this country needs a real shake up in the political party make up.

The time has come for new direction, new party politics.

We need political parties that actually have the well being of this country and its people at their core.

Won't happen, of course.

As a working class guy who always voted labour im looking at Corbyn and the party and think they and him are fucked. He is a leaver, always been a euro sceptic, the labour heartlands in the north are leave but the majority of his MP's and and shadow cabinet are remain, as is his islington constituency. He has sat on the fence for so long with the weight on either leg pulling down getting heavier and his balls are now stuck in his throat, all he can squeeze out now is "general election". Of course there wont be one which is just as well for him and he knows it, he will have to come out and say if Labour are leave or remain, if he opts for remain they would get wiped out in the north, leave and the same happens elsewhere.

As others have said watching Campbell trying to convince viewers the vote was remain made me cringe. Skys "expert" put the ukip and brexit vote against the lib dems, greens and change then dumped the tory vote on top of the leave and labour on top of remain concluding remain won 50% v 44%. The labour vote was apparently remain because after getting a kicking it looks like they are going to change their policy, maybe all the labour vote knew that....... I might be wrong but im sure the Labour election manifesto said they would honour the referendum result so if their vote is going to be pigeon holed somewhere it should be leave and the leave vote is miles in front - which it isnt. If there is another referendum it will be bloody close.

Back
Top Bottom