Away Match Day Thread 9/08/2023 Carabao R1: Bristol City v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Already murmurs for the manager to go, are people serious? Does no one have any patience?

Surely we knew that we might not be the finish article from the off, but is this really who we are as a fanbase, calling for managers to go before they’ve even got their foot in the door?

Manning was employed on the basis of being a longer-term manager. Two games into the season with the transfer window still open is way way too early to be thinking about sacking a manager, let alone saying it.
I was only pointing out that Manning has an option one way or another. The results of each are clear to me.
I think the problem at large is that the current lack of results is not new. It is a serious carry over from the previous season. It was not expected. The opposite was expected and it hit hard when it didn't happen.
From the sound of it Manning has something in line to improve matters. Just hope he's right.

Already murmurs for the manager to go, are people serious? Does no one have any patience?

Surely we knew that we might not be the finish article from the off, but is this really who we are as a fanbase, calling for managers to go before they’ve even got their foot in the door?

Manning was employed on the basis of being a longer-term manager. Two games into the season with the transfer window still open is way way too early to be thinking about sacking a manager, let alone saying it.
You are right of course but people are just sounding off because they are weary of crap start to the season after crap start. It gets to even the most pragmatic. 🥴

A Bristol City fan I work with, who was also at the game, said it was like playing a pub team in the second half.

On further reflection I really think our senior players need to start stepping up and showing more leadership. Moore got bullied on Saturday got it completely wrong for their third goal yesterday. I don't think he is vocal enough, either, especially with how inexperienced our right side was yesterday. Brown has been beaten at the back post a couple of times now already this season and, imo, needs to do more. Brannagan isn't offering enough (albeit I don't think the system plays to his strengths) and his body language at times is poor.

Saturday is now hugely important. We need to stem the tide quickly and inject some positivity back into the building.

Why haven't we signed a left back? Brown gives his all but he is not a left back.
Not enough pace between Moore & JT.
Brannagan Poor again - Cant remember his last good game?
Harris looks shot of confidence infront of goal.

I was there last night - we (the fans) were nice and loud for a good while, and I liked Ashton Gate, my first visit since the redevelopment.

On the pitch a few observations

We were pretty good for the first 20/25 mins, but woeful up front. Gatlin O'Donkor could go on to be become a first class striker ( His chest take downs from high balls are second to none) but he seems to be thinking about what to do afterwards once the ball is on the ground. He needs confidence and to believe in himself. The support for him from the fans is first class too I should mention.

Thorniley and Moore are both good players but again I felt they were having to think too much, I imagine Liam Manning's way might take a while to beceome the natural way to play - the goal kicks seemed odd to me with Thorniley knocking it across to Beadle.

Just to echo everyone else the need for a left back and an actual league finisher is very very apparent.

and also the M4 - that was a fun diversion almost all the way to Bath

If you’re going to watch the paint dry then you can grab a brush and slap a bit on yourself first. This isn’t some sort of emulsion peep show that you get to just wander into before having a good ogle. Don’t take the P**s.

No chance of streaming the event? Bridport are away on Saturday.

Definitely shouldn't be going as far as it has. I think the reason is just because we lured ourselves in to thinking things would be different and actually, old wounds have been opened and we're hardly out the starting blocks. This is why he needs a good solid win on Saturday just to remind people we're in good hands - which I honestly think we are. We needed a project manager and that's what he is. Perhaps we need to slightly reset our expectations.

Man City are always dodgy out the gates. I've actually got money on them to lose at Burnley tomorrow. Rhythm and partnerships are vital to how Manning is trying to play and that's why pre season friendlies are not just minutes in the legs. We look like we are still defrosting and that's OK to an extent but with last season in the backdrop, it's very, very difficult to laugh off an awful start and be measured about it. We're really reaching for positives at the moment.

We need some positive PR in the next 48 hrs. 1 or 2 new players in the key positions would be a good start.

You are right of course but people are just sounding off because they are weary of crap start to the season after crap start. It gets to even the most pragmatic. 🥴
I think it is a bit more than that. Many suggested before Saturday that Manning was tactically astute, but against Cambridge, he came across as naive and one-dimensional. Bonner had him consequently in his pocket. Good managers have a preferred style but also the ability to change it / mix it up when needed. The like-for-like substitutional changes against Cambridge were therefore baffling. Either he couldn't see the problem, lacked ideas on how or what to change, was a case of pig-headedness (my way or no way), or a combination of these.

Now some might excuse him for inheriting a dog's dinner from Robinson, and I would note that, to some degree, but that does not excuse the above, nor does it the fact that we all knew full-backs and a striker were the priority, and so far, what have we got? Mills I have not seen properly other than the highlights, but some are suggesting Long is the better option at right-back which is worrying. If that is true, why did we recruit him as we still need two full-backs (one would hope this is noted)? As for the striker(s), whilst not an easy one to fill, and I am sure we are working hard behind the scenes, we only have Harris to show for it, and he is unlikely to be a goal-scoring machine based on his history. All in all, the recruitment to date does not look much better than our predecessor, other than they are at least fit and ready to play, if possibly not to the standard we need and/or would have liked!

When he talks about learning lessons and wake-up calls, let's hope he realises that applies to himself first and most importantly, and he needs to show he can coach and get us to play more than just one system! It is early days, but like any new employee, if you start out as bad as he has in terms of basic mistakes and lack of acumen, you should expect your peers (in his case, supporters) and leaders to be at the least concerned, and keeping a watchful eye to see if it is early nerves/learning, or something deeper. As a relatively experienced manager, it is hard not to think it might actually be the latter. Let's hope one's gut instinct is wrong as it is early days as many have suggested.

Last edited:
I too don't understand this whole playing out from the back, between the centre backs and GK, its so slow and negative and just doesn't achieve anything. We need some forward thrusts and driving, and this slow play does not suit the players we have!

We have to try the three at the back in my opinion - any combination of Negru/Moore/Thorniley/Brown/Long would work in there, Stevens on one side pushing on, a new LWB on the other who knows the job and is more mobile and athletic....three in the centre (Cam, a new defensive midfield tackler with Rodrigues pushing on in the number 10 role) and a big target man up front bringing others in to the game and Harris can run off and run behind. Last night was poor in all areas, and I think Manning looked a bit like KR did at the end of his reign, lonely on the touchline, head bowed, clearly frustrated and embarrassed like us fans were.

3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 for me. Why didn't Manning try it last night, try something different, the last two games have not really been progress at all.

Not calling for his head, but we should’ve done better in this window, and addressed the gaps early, e.g. prioritise the positions that we’ve known have needed addressing for the last few seasons (full backs, striker and a proper CDM).

Again, I think we’ve made fundamental mistakes so far in the transfer window. Clubs that want to be successful, e.g. Plymouth, identified positions that needed to be prioritised, got business done early which then gave them a better chance of having a better start to the season.

Last edited:
Why haven't we signed a left back? Brown gives his all but he is not a left back.
Not enough pace between Moore & JT.
Brannagan Poor again - Cant remember his last good game?
Harris looks shot of confidence infront of goal.
I just wish he had a shot rather than a back pass!

Not calling for his head, but we should’ve done better in this window, and addressed the gaps early, e.g. prioritise the positions that we’ve known have needed addressing for the last few seasons (full backs, striker and a proper CDM).

Again, I think we’ve made fundamental mistakes so far in the transfer window. Clubs that want to be successful, e.g. Plymouth, identified positions that needed to be prioritised, got business done early which then gave them a better chance of having a better start to the season.
We had more holes in our squad than a block of Swiss cheese, we were never going to fill them all by the time the season started, but we’ve covered most.

We had more holes in our squad than a block of Swiss cheese, we were never going to fill them all by the time the season started, but we’ve covered most.
But not focused on the ones we needed to prioritise

Back
Top Bottom