Away Match Day Thread 5/8/23 L1: Cambridge United v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seems like the day after xmas in a very spoilt child's house.

I didn't watch or listen to the game. There must have been positives, what were they?
£10 for a bacon wrapped hot dog, chips and a drink is probably the best value for money we'll get regarding food at an away ground this season.

1-3 win.
Harris
Browne
Brannigan (pen)

Not been this up for the first game of the season for quite a few years. Exciting squad this season and hopefully a couple more to come in. Getting up there early tomorrow to hit the pub.

Well, got that completely wrong. However, in my defence, I don’t think anybody on here predicted such a poor performance or score line.

However, and it’s a big however, it’s the first game of the season, it should in spur them up for their next game and I’m still confident that we are a decent side in the making.
Perhaps it’s gonna take 3/4 games before we see it.

On to Bristol…see you there….

Last edited:
I keep thinking Browne is a decent player and one day he’ll click for us but that day doesn’t seem to come.

I'm starting to get quite frustrated by Marcus Browne. Specifically when it comes to running at (and coming into contact with) defenders.

He's fine running at space but when he comes up square against a defender all they need to do is stand up and he will awkwardly clatter into them and/or fumble the ball away.

I don't know if it's fear of injury or a wider lack of confidence, but he is big and quick and so has the attributes to be better coming into contact with defenders, whether that is getting past them or going through them.

Instead it's 'heads down' football and the hope that when the contact is made the ball ricochets our way and he can continue towards goal, but it's hope rather than confidence he'll beat the man with the ball intact.

For some reason, despite the promise and obvious talent, he continues to fall short of being the player we need him to be.

All in all that wasn't really a very good day out. It rained, in August. We lost, played poorly and highlighted defficiencies. The seats in the away end were filthy and the catering set up was run by amateurs. (stand in queue, get told wrong queue, order in another queue, go back to first queue, tell the staff what ever you wanted regardless of what you had paid for and then regret having the Balti pie as it was probably left over from last season)
It was disappointing to lose in the manner we did, could, and should have been better. The Cambridge wing backs knew their job and their striker made Moore look very poor. (lot of shirt pulling and other dark arts) Surprised that Manning didn't get a better performance in the second half, opportunity to make changes and improve didn't happen or, if it did, we didn't notice anything. Some players were made to look poor simply because they had no opportunity to shine - Goodhram and Browne in particular. Rodrigues looked frustrated that he had a few chances but the runs from his colleagues didn't coincide.

Coming Saturday will require an improvement. A home crowd watching that would have been very restless.

To most fans surely their team’s players are heroes in their way. If you’re a supporter you aren’t just cynically standing back and saying impress me - you applaud and encourage them and if you’re a kid try to get a selfie or autograph. Everyone gets frustrated and critical but only a w****r would abuse their own player, surely,

Support works both ways, if they aren't putting the effort in fans have every right to let them know the same goes with the manager. But the tone used and personal insults by a minority is not on.

Support works both ways, if they aren't putting the effort in fans have every right to let them know the same goes with the manager. But the tone used and personal insults by a minority is not on.
I’d say it’s ok to shout Fucks Sake Long!, and I’m sure we’ve all done it, but not Long You Are A w****r! And I don’t think people have been criticising his effort, more his ability or role

Seems like the hangover from last season will continue for a little longer. Some of the same faces remain, with some of the same formations but it's surprising Manning didn't make any tactical changes or read the situation better. Maybe we're just stuck with what we have for now until the team gels and clicks better and they buy in to what he's trying to do.
I'm so used to disappointing opening day results/matches over the years, popping up on my phone and spoiling whichever holiday I happen to be on (currently very wet Snowdonia) that it's never a surprise.
Let's see what it's like after 5 or 10 games though before submitting to panic.

Nope the 2nd goal was down to Long not Brown.

Looking at the highlights for the second goal, Cambridge counter-attacked down their left flank and Rodrigues had to track the winger Brophy?
in a long foot race as Long was caught up the pitch. Rodrigues allowed the cross to come in far too easily for me and then can Beadle come and clean out everybody ?
Brown could not jump due to Ahadme having a run on him and the cross was perfect for him to attack and head easily into Beadle’s net.

As with every goal you will probably find three mistakes in the lead-up.

What I find so frustrating - and it was abundantly evident from last season too - is the failure to block shots and crosses. A non-negotiable in my book
and players must put their bodies on the line to get three points.

Yesterday will not define our season. Obviously there are things that need to be worked on, and we are light in a few areas, but there is absolutely no need to get carried away after one game. Give the players and manager a chance and let’s see how we progress. By 10 games in, we will have a much better indication on how the season will go. Draw a line under yesterday and let’s move on…

Everyone’s already stated my thoughts about the match - rubbish fullbacks, dodgy keeping, Rodrigues looking excellent, needing a nasty ?CDM bastard in midfield (maybe Gorrin if he can get fit?)

Did anyone else dislike our new kit colour as much as I did? I don’t think I’ve ever seen us decked out in blue, and I’m not a fan of it. Was hoping to see us in the red away kit.

Why was the match sold out for away fans .?.
Believe. away allocation was around 1600, Chris Williams report gave us as 1469.
what i could see being there it did look full, they opened the end section where you come in just before kickoff

Having a few hours this morning to reflect, there was a few positives yesterday.

I thought McGuane did well when he came on, and Mills did too. Bodin looked a bit sharper, and I really liked the look of Ruben.

Promotions and relegations aren’t decided after the first game of the season. Didn’t Norwich lose there first game one year 7-1 and then win promotion.

We have some bloody good footballers and talent, but it’s just a matter of filling the obvious weaknesses we have. I think we are 4 solid signings away from being a top 4-6 team this season.

McEachran can‘t do 90 minutes, what’s wrong with the bloke ? At MK he was always taken off around the 60-65 minute mark. We need more robustness and durability than this sort of flakiness. Younger, fitter and stronger players will just storm past him when the pitches get heavy going.
I was hoping we would see an upgrade on McGuane but MM could have done everything McEachran did today and last 90 minutes. Really worrying if JM can't last 90 mins and we have to resort to playing MM for 30 mins every game as he's another who floaters to deceive

I'm starting to get quite frustrated by Marcus Browne. Specifically when it comes to running at (and coming into contact with) defenders.

He's fine running at space but when he comes up square against a defender all they need to do is stand up and he will awkwardly clatter into them and/or fumble the ball away.

I don't know if it's fear of injury or a wider lack of confidence, but he is big and quick and so has the attributes to be better coming into contact with defenders, whether that is getting past them or going through them.

Instead it's 'heads down' football and the hope that when the contact is made the ball ricochets our way and he can continue towards goal, but it's hope rather than confidence he'll beat the man with the ball intact.

For some reason, despite the promise and obvious talent, he continues to fall short of being the player we need him to be.
I have written, deleted, rewritten and deleted, several times, a post that says exactly what you've just said.

My sentiments exactly.

Hope this Goalkeeper is as good as people say he is, I got shot down pre-season for questioning it.
I suspect he is, based on what I’ve seen pre-season, looked different gravy to me. Yesterday didn’t back that up with a couple of obvious errors that cost us. Am fairly confident he’ll be the best we’ve had for a while, time will tell!

Why was the match sold out for away fans .?.
Believe. away allocation was around 1600, Chris Williams report gave us as 1469.
what i could see being there it did look full, they opened the end section where you come in just before kickoff
Apparently the away allocation is/was 1500

Looking at the highlights for the second goal, Cambridge counter-attacked down their left flank and Rodrigues had to track the winger Brophy?
in a long foot race as Long was caught up the pitch. Rodrigues allowed the cross to come in far too easily for me and then can Beadle come and clean out everybody ?
Brown could not jump due to Ahadme having a run on him and the cross was perfect for him to attack and head easily into Beadle’s net.

As with every goal you will probably find three mistakes in the lead-up.

What I find so frustrating - and it was abundantly evident from last season too - is the failure to block shots and crosses. A non-negotiable in my book
and players must put their bodies on the line to get three points.
Understand what you’re saying and appreciate you prospective but as you say Lonh was caught up the pitch so who should have dropped back whilst he was up the pitch? But give the Cambridge player on the left wing he had Long in his back pocket, and for the record you boo but never call a player the C word this last sentence isn’t aimed at you @West Oxon U’s

Back
Top Bottom