Home Match Day Thread 26/12/23: L1 - OUFC v Cambridge

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
As I said in the build up thread, we need a good performance and result in front of a big crowd.

I think that's a bit unfair.
Not sure that he can be blamed for the first?
He should probably have pushed the second away from.the goal ( bit similar to Beadles save for the second at Cambridge)
Overall I thought he played well.

Yes, thought Stevens had a very good game. His save from Brannagan was top drawer and the deflected freekick was also a good save. He looked like the keeper we had in his first full season with us. Both goals had him unsighted, although he has always taken an extra half step before diving which leaves him struggling with shots right into the corner. The winner came from a shot that was difficult to get safe if he didn't hold it. Very central and in a crowded box. I'm not sure he could have done much more.

I think that's a bit unfair.
Not sure that he can be blamed for the first?
He should probably have pushed the second away from.the goal ( bit similar to Beadles save for the second at Cambridge)
Overall I thought he played well.
Hmm. I don’t think it’s unfair to expect your goalkeeper to save that. Not a howler but it looked gettable as they so often did when he had an Oxford shirt on.

The second is a shocker in my eyes. He needs to be stronger. How many of those will he have faced from Brannagan in training? He knows where that has to go. Defending was poor but literally, anywhere but there.

Hmm. I don’t think it’s unfair to expect your goalkeeper to save that. Not a howler but it looked gettable as they so often did when he had an Oxford shirt on.

The second is a shocker in my eyes. He needs to be stronger. How many of those will he have faced from Brannagan in training? He knows where that has to go. Defending was poor but literally, anywhere but there.
I reckon Tyler's shot would have scored against most of L1 keepers.
The second? Yes he should have pushed it wider, but Beadle did exactly the same at Cambridge. A shocker is a bit OTT. A mistake? Sure.

Good to see McEachran getting a good share of the plaudits as he really turned that game for us. He’s a really rare beast at this level, the problem has often been the movement and control of the ball by the players ahead of him. If you find an inch of space he will pick you out but if you’re too late he will move the ball on which doesn’t look pretty from the stands but exactly what he should do.

I’d play him, McGuane and Brannagan vs Derby and really focus on controlling things. It’s exactly the type of game he’s built for.

We've started McEachran and McGuane together four times this season, and we've won none of those games.
The problem for me is that they both have this primary instinct to not lose possession above all else - if a high percentage attacking pass isn't on, they will both turn back and return it to the defense to avoid losing the ball. Which is an absolutely solid style of play for a holding midfielder, but if you have two of them it rather blunts your attacking play.

By contrast, I don't think Cam or RR have ever seen a Holywood pass they didn't fancy.....and while they don't all come off, when they do it opens up attacking options and puts us right on the front foot.

I think I would play McEachran against Derby and give McGuane a breather. Illness or no illness, he's looked a little but leggy of late and in need of a breather.

Yes, thought Stevens had a very good game. His save from Brannagan was top drawer and the deflected freekick was also a good save. He looked like the keeper we had in his first full season with us. Both goals had him unsighted, although he has always taken an extra half step before diving which leaves him struggling with shots right into the corner. The winner came from a shot that was difficult to get safe if he didn't hold it. Very central and in a crowded box. I'm not sure he could have done much more.

I dunno. I would imagine he himself was disappointed with both. The second was pretty much straight at him and he was on two feet. I think a L1 keeper should be able to make that safer by pushing out to the sides. Only thing I would say in his favour is that it is impossible from the camera angle to know how much the ball moved.

This game, in it's own right, may not be significant in the long run - but the below image is absolutely sensational. I keep returning to it.

Yes, it's a late winner, but the look on their faces should leave no-one in any doubt that these players are motivated to win football matches.

Just look at Stan Mills. 😍😍😍

1703703711058.png

This game, in it's own right, may not be significant in the long run - but the below image is absolutely sensational. I keep returning to it.

Yes, it's a late winner, but the look on their faces should leave no-one in any doubt that these players are motivated to win football matches.

View attachment 17176
I thought the same.
When you watch them play like that in the first half, you can’t help wondering if they really care…
then you witness the last minute expressions on the faces…..

Yes but people were turned away at the ticket office??
Well I am a season ticket holder, I never attended, I had 2 seats allocated, attempted to ring the ticket office at around 11am on the day of the match to offer my 2 seats back , but the ticket office never picked up despite being on the phone for about 10 mins

I reckon Tyler's shot would have scored against most of L1 keepers.
The second? Yes he should have pushed it wider, but Beadle did exactly the same at Cambridge. A shocker is a bit OTT. A mistake? Sure.
I think it’s a shocker in football terms but perhaps in a L1 context it’s less than that. Beadle has made a meal of things before, I think all keepers are susceptible to some dodgy decisions but the ones you want are the ones who lap up the basics. Beadle is that and he’s extremely positive in his play which I love.

if Stevens saves the Goodrham strike, is it a miracle save? Or just a good stop, well read?

For me, Stevens has to deal with one of those goals. I feel he could’ve got to the first and/or dealt with the second. To do neither is true to form and I think that’s why he’s at a battling side rather than here.

We've started McEachran and McGuane together four times this season, and we've won none of those games.
The problem for me is that they both have this primary instinct to not lose possession above all else - if a high percentage attacking pass isn't on, they will both turn back and return it to the defense to avoid losing the ball. Which is an absolutely solid style of play for a holding midfielder, but if you have two of them it rather blunts your attacking play.

By contrast, I don't think Cam or RR have ever seen a Holywood pass they didn't fancy.....and while they don't all come off, when they do it opens up attacking options and puts us right on the front foot.

I think I would play McEachran against Derby and give McGuane a breather. Illness or no illness, he's looked a little but leggy of late and in need of a breather.
Can’t argue with the stats but not sure I agree with your point re risking possession. Of the 3 midfielders we have, McEachran is the one with the bravery to play through tight spaces at pace. He backs himself and breaks lines in an instant if you get people in position. If De Zerbi was our manager he’d play every available minute! Brannagan will fire the ball over people from distance, McGuane around them. It’s a nice mix on paper but marrying it all together is difficult.

View attachment 17176
Totally agree. Fantastic photo

Yes but the new law introduced summer 2023, days that any player still time-wasting through a goal celebration 30 seconds after a goal has been scored can be cautioned. A team now has only 30secs from the moment the ball hits the back of the net to be ready for the restart (kick off).

I’ve not seen any referee use the new law to dish out a yellow yet but in amateur football I certainly use it as a threat to get play going quickly.
England tried to do it in the world cup while Croatia were celebrating iirc.

Thought McEachran changed the game yesterday which I didn’t expect as he tends to be safe e.g. playing it backwards/sideways so similar to McGuane of late, but that wasn’t the case this time as he seemed to want to play it forward and play through the thirds.

Just wish McGuane would return to his performances earlier in the season when he wanted to carry the ball forward and break through the lines.

Based upon this I’d start with McEachran.

Another ‘soft’ set piece goal is concerning.

GCSQnEEWwAAjwbf
That was Harris’ fault as he let their player get around him to toe poke the ball into the net. He knew it though by his reaction!

Well I am a season ticket holder, I never attended, I had 2 seats allocated, attempted to ring the ticket office at around 11am on the day of the match to offer my 2 seats back , but the ticket office never picked up despite being on the phone for about 10 mins

In fairness to the staff who work in the ticket office, it was Boxing Day and a game that had already sold out. I would hope that they weren't in the office from 11.00 to 11.10 and maybe enjoying a morning with their families instead.

Back
Top Bottom