Away Match Day Thread 31/10/2023 L1: Lincoln City v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd also go strong on Saturday, but McGuane is the one guy I'd give a rest. He's been just about ever-present since the second or third week of the season, and is just starting to look a little leggy. McEachran alongside Cam should be more than good enough. Maybe give RR a breather as well - he's been super-busy too.

So something like:

Beadle
Stevens Moore Thornily Leigh
McEachran Cam
Mills Bodin Goodrham
Harris.

Then you can go a bit wacky next Tuesday, and give a bunch more players a rest, whilst ensuring that Eastwood, Negru, Gorrin, Henry, Murphy, Woltman, Perkins and GOD get a start (if they're all fit.....I don't know).

I certainly wouldn’t be against giving MM a game or two off. I just like the cohesion that he and Cam have when playing together tbh.

Eastwood to start both cup games for me but other than that, I’d not be far a million miles off your line up.

We look so much better with a back 4 than a back 3. So much better. It allows us to get more players forward, and Mills is fast becoming a must-have on the right hand side - he just seems to make things happen, he’s so quick and direct and has a powerful shot/cross as well. Him and Stevens seem to link up well together down that right hand side.

F9zZ2fwXkAAUmLF

Oh my oh my oh my.

Glad you’re not the coach
Haha! I realise I was one of the few to rate Hoban, but I thought he was decent. Found space, brought others in the game, held the ball up- but just couldn't score. Harris reminds me of him in that regard. Harris is a decent player, but he's never been a prolific goalscorer, and doesn't look like he ever will be. That's all I'm saying!!

After 15 games there’s only 3 teams we’ve not played in the top 12.
But worth saying, they are the teams in 1st, 3rd and 4th!
I’m focusing on the number of dustbin fires they put out that KR left us with rather than the one or two pieces they didn’t manage to fix. We knew what they were ahead of the first game of the season - an additional striker and an alternative RB option. If that’s the full extent of our shopping list in January (plus any gaps to fill for long term injuries), that’s no bad thing.
If we are serious about this great big opportunity for automatic promotion, we really need another CM to complement what we have and make sure we don’t drop below 1 point a game the next time Brannagan needs a break.

No, you don't. Name a player who played in a decent team but couldn't finish. And then 'learned' how to finish. There isn't one. Harris panics in front of goal. That doesn't make him a bad player. He just can't finish
Clarke Harris hadn’t scored more than 13 before he went to Posh and immediately hit 31.

Alfie May scored 9 for Cheltenham in League 2 before getting 23 in League 1, at 29 years old. He’d never scored more than 9 league goals a season before that.

Both examples are playing the game on your terms. Replace Harris with a poacher in this team and you change the entire style of play. He was brilliant last night.

Shearer's record at Southampton wasn't anything to shout about, Kane's first loan to lower league wasn't prolific, Jack Marriot only became prolific at Peterborough.
Clarke- Harris scored few until he joined Bristol Rovers.
I think that Thiery Henry scored 1 in 5 in over 100 games as a wide man before scoring more than 1 in 2 for Arsenal.
There are probably quite a few examples.
Harris is only 24. He is probably never going to be a 25 goal a season scorer , but could improve his scoring rate and be a 12 to 15 goal scorer?
I suspect that Manning will bring 2 new strikers in during the transfer window, but in the meantime Harris will have to be our striker and the team will have to share out the goalacoring ( as has happened all season)

Enjoyed this from the Lincoln forum...

"Just got back home. First things first, I thought that Oxford were very good tonight. Their crispness of one or two touch passing, the movement off the ball and players knowing what both their job was and what their teammates jobs were was very impressive for the whole game. Sometimes at the start of a season you get some teams who find themselves in false positions in the league. That is not the case with Oxford who showed tonight they are well worth their current position in the promotion places"

How many times have we previously said similar of Hull, of Wigan, of Coventry?

So refreshing for us to be that team!

Maybe I'm in the minority but at the moment I sort of don't care if he isn't prolific if we're sharing the goals around. In some ways yes, we struggled to kill of Lincoln, but we won 2-0 and it would have been 3 but for a brilliant save from their keeper end of the first half. Lincoln are a good side, and 2-0 away from home is a good win. We're also one of the top-scoring teams in the league - and we've had a blip recently but all good teams have blips. Harris does a huge amount in terms of leading the press, running the lines and making life very difficult for defences. His work rate brings so many others into play and into scoring positions.

I'd love him to score more and ofc I'd love us to get another striker but Harris is generally important for the way we're playing at the moment and he was a key part of last night.

Enjoyed this from the Lincoln forum

Oxford were set up better, their movement was better and they passed the ball better. Up against that you are struggling but it was a disappointing contrast to the week before and I don't think any of our players had a good game. It was only when we got the smoke machine out and made it difficult for them to see too far that there was an element of parity.

Enjoyed this from the Lincoln forum...

"Just got back home. First things first, I thought that Oxford were very good tonight. Their crispness of one or two touch passing, the movement off the ball and players knowing what both their job was and what their teammates jobs were was very impressive for the whole game. Sometimes at the start of a season you get some teams who find themselves in false positions in the league. That is not the case with Oxford who showed tonight they are well worth their current position in the promotion places"

How many times have we previously said similar of Hull, of Wigan, of Coventry?

So refreshing for us to be that team!
Lincoln fans are also a decent bunch being good to chat with before and after a game, no saltiness, just enjoy their team and mature enough to acknowledge the other side's performance if they lose.

We need Lincoln's kit supplier!

Thanks for that, just been on there and found a lightweight run hoodie, been looking for something that took my fancy on that for a while as I'm quite picky when it comes to running clothing (y)

Back
Top Bottom