General 2023/24 Squad Size

We're starting to get close to a proper team, and it only took LM 3 days of the transfer window. Assuming McEachran and Garbutt both sign, and we're going for a 3atb, this is where we stand (using a 3421 formation):

Eastwood
(Stevens/McGinty)

Long Moore Thorniley
(Negru) (Findlay) (Brown)

New RWB McEachran CamBran Garbutt
(New RWB) (Smyth) (McGuane) (Seddon)

Murphy Browne
(Goodrham/Henry) (Rodrigues/Bodin)

New ST
(New ST/O'Donkor)
Shows us where the absolute priorities need to be next, and it's a surprise to no one, RWB and Striker where we need at least two in for each position. After that I think a RCB to be a first choice with Long as backup (get a loan for Negru), a proper bruiser style CDM to rotate with McEachran, and finally one more for the winger/inside forward position to help cover Henry and Bodin so we aren't relying on Goodrham quite so heavily.

7 players feels like a lot, but I think most could be covered by utilising the loan market. The only positions I think we need a proper permanent signing for are one of the strikers and one of the RWBs. It felt like a major uphill battle with what Karl the Merciless left us with, but 3 days into the transfer window and things are already looking pretty good.

LOL at Rodrigues as back up.

LOL at Rodrigues as back up.
Honestly only went with Browne first because I've actually seen him play. If RR is as good as I hope he is then absolutely he is the starter. Isn't it ridiculous that we've got three players of the quality of RR, Browne and Bodin for that one position?! Get someone of the same quality for the other side and we'll be back to scoring for fun!

Gorrin should be in bold really, although I very much doubt he will be part of the squad for next season. Good by the club sticking with him during his rehab though.

Gorrin isn't contracted to us after 30th June hence why not in bold. If he signs a new deal, then you would assume he also gets registered.

As it stands, he isn't contracted and therefore cannot be registered for us and may well end up signing elsewhere if a deal goes on the table before they report back for pre-season.

O'Donkor will go out on loan. A discussion has already been had with Oxford City about him for next season and it's quite likely he will end up at CPF for the season.

Interestingly, i understand that Liam Manning would like a look at Tyler Goodrham in pre-season. Subject to that, don't be at all surprised to see him also go to City on loan if a league 2 side cannot guarantee him regular playing time.

Definitely O'Donkor should have a season in the NL and it will be easy to keep tabs on him at City.

Goodrham maybe one to keep around the first team and see how he does for the first half of the season.

I don't disagree at all about the NL being a good landing spot for GOD next season.

I just question a little if City is the right fit.

His all-round hold-up play and movement last season was way beyond his years, and he looked like he belonged in League One.
His finishing was, however, exactly what you would expect from an 18 year old getting his first taste of professional football.

It's the finishing he needs to work on, and so I'd love for him to be playing for a NL team that's going to be carving out 2-3 solid chances for him a game.
With the best will in the world, I'm not sure that's going to be City. Danger at CPF is that he's going to find himself scrapping like hell in a struggling side for a half-chance here and there........

Wonder if somewhere like Woking would be better? Spasov seemed to do well there before he got hurt, and GOD is several levels up from him.

I can tell you don't watch much non league football..😂 City last season played some great stuff and scored in every home game, they created a hatful of chances in every game I watched them and was way more exciting than the dross we were being served up at United. You have mentioned Woking who would be a better fit when last season they played an awful style of football at times.

City has the advantage that O'Donkor can train with us when they're not training meaning we can keep a real close eye on him.

I can tell you don't watch much non league football..😂 City last season played some great stuff and scored in every home game, they created a hatful of chances in every game I watched them and was way more exciting than the dross we were being served up at United. You have mentioned Woking who would be a better fit when last season they played an awful style of football at times.

City has the advantage that O'Donkor can train with us when they're not training meaning we can keep a real close eye on him.

In a league where the biggest team was Dulwich Hamlet. City face rather a step up this season! But I admire your optimism that they’re going to continue to boss it….

In a league where the biggest team was Dulwich Hamlet. City face rather a step up this season! But I admire your optimism that they’re going to continue to boss it….

I'm not saying they're going to boss it but they won't change their style of play and players like Zac McEachran and Josh Ashby could walk in most NL sides.

Dulwich Hamlet were such a basket club they were relegated out of the league where they were the biggest. It means nothing.

O'Donkor will have a good mentor in Josh Parker too who would still cause our defence a problem if he was playing for a League one side.

Assuming Baldock and Seddon exit - we're down to 15/22 towards the squad cap (16 if Gorrin were to get offered a deal)

Assuming Baldock and Seddon exit - we're down to 15/22 towards the squad cap (16 if Gorrin were to get offered a deal)

You're right.

Long Thorniley Moore Findlay Brown
McEachran Brannagan McGuane Smyth
Bodin Henry Rodrigues
Browne Wildschut Murphy

Stevens Negru Goodrham O'Donker (plus Mfuni and Golding if included) are under age, and keepers are not included.

That just leaves Seddon, Gorrin, Baldock and maybe McGinty not involved or moving on.

Thats why I'm amazed that some think that we'll only bringing in another 2 or 3.

O'Donkor will go out on loan. A discussion has already been had with Oxford City about him for next season and it's quite likely he will end up at CPF for the season.

Interestingly, i understand that Liam Manning would like a look at Tyler Goodrham in pre-season. Subject to that, don't be at all surprised to see him also go to City on loan if a league 2 side cannot guarantee him regular playing time.
Goodrham has had interest higher up the pyramid, I don’t see him being loaned anywhere. He’s more likely to leave for a decent fee than get loaned anywhere.

You're right.

Long Thorniley Moore Findlay Brown
McEachran Brannagan McGuane Smyth
Bodin Henry Rodrigues
Browne Wildschut Murphy

Stevens Negru Goodrham O'Donker (plus Mfuni and Golding if included) are under age, and keepers are not included.

That just leaves Seddon, Gorrin, Baldock and maybe McGinty not involved or moving on.

Thats why I'm amazed that some think that we'll only bringing in another 2 or 3.
Think 5 signings will be the sweet spot this window, Then gives us movement in January if we are flying and the board want to really go for it to consolidate our position at that time.

Think the squad cap (like the budget) is a bit of a distraction. We’ve got a good size squad already if you put it down on paper:

IMG_3887.jpeg

24 senior players, plus the likes of Golding, Johnson and Mfuni who aren’t even listed. Minimum of two for each position, sometimes three. Quality is a separate matter, this is purely about numbers for now.

Think we all know it’s a given that Seddon and Baldock are off, so that’s two in to replace them like for like, and I think Manning could justify a third arrival and an extra body in the forward area. Someone like Joseph who can play both centrally and out wide. Beyond that, you can see why a CEO wouldn’t want to expand the squad much further in terms of size without outgoings offsetting that growth. A lot of waste creeps in.

Yanic hasn’t appeared in any photos or videos from Spain yet (he reported to the training ground last week but has not appeared on the trip unless someone can point him out?), so maybe that could be a third outgoing to make room for a fourth signing. Maybe Findlay then goes, which allows a fifth signing. Maybe O’Donkor then gets loaned out, and that makes room for a sixth etc. But I think it’s most likely that’s how it goes, rather than filling up the cap and carrying a 30 man squad with six wingers, four strikers, five or six centre mids, three left backs etc. I think Manning is having to compromise a bit on what he would like, compared to if he had more of a blank slate.

Think the squad cap (like the budget) is a bit of a distraction. We’ve got a good size squad already if you put it down on paper:

View attachment 14449

24 senior players, plus the likes of Golding, Johnson and Mfuni who aren’t even listed. Minimum of two for each position, sometimes three. Quality is a separate matter, this is purely about numbers for now.

Think we all know it’s a given that Seddon and Baldock are off, so that’s two in to replace them like for like, and I think Manning could justify a third arrival and an extra body in the forward area. Someone like Joseph who can play both centrally and out wide. Beyond that, you can see why a CEO wouldn’t want to expand the squad much further in terms of size without outgoings offsetting that growth. A lot of waste creeps in.

Yanic hasn’t appeared in any photos or videos from Spain yet (he reported to the training ground last week but has not appeared on the trip unless someone can point him out?), so maybe that could be a third outgoing to make room for a fourth signing. Maybe Findlay then goes, which allows a fifth signing. Maybe O’Donkor then gets loaned out, and that makes room for a sixth etc. But I think it’s most likely that’s how it goes, rather than filling up the cap and carrying a 30 man squad with six wingers, four strikers, five or six centre mids, three left backs etc. I think Manning is having to compromise a bit on what he would like, compared to if he had more of a blank slate.
I agree, it's not obligatory to reach your squad limit if some of your established players are too young to count towards it.

Goodrham has had interest higher up the pyramid, I don’t see him being loaned anywhere. He’s more likely to leave for a decent fee than get loaned anywhere.
I can’t see Goodrham being loaned out to a lower league team. Likewise, I think it would hinder his development if he moved upwards. I believe he Will remain with us this season and prove himself to be an integral part of the squad.

I can’t see Goodrham being loaned out to a lower league team. Likewise, I think it would hinder his development if he moved upwards. I believe he Will remain with us this season and prove himself to be an integral part of the squad.
I would think so, I just know that he’s had interest from quite a few teams. I doubt they will pay what we would want to sell him though so it’s immaterial.

I would think so, I just know that he’s had interest from quite a few teams. I doubt they will pay what we would want to sell him though so it’s immaterial.

It certainly wouldn't be 'immaterial'. We are Oxford United, not Manchester United and if a reasonable offer comes in for TG then i would fully expect the club to accept it.

That said, i've not heard of any serious interest in TG and don't expect to see him go up the pyramid this season.

We as football fans have such a diverse viewpoint about the game and players. It’s hard to believe that across some sections of our support group we have a range of views and opinions. From we need to loan him out to a conference team to gain experience, to (and I put myself firmly in this bracket) that he’s good enough to have a good impact with us this season, to there are clubs higher up in the pyramid having a serious look at him.

I suppose this forum would be a dull place if we all agreed.

It certainly wouldn't be 'immaterial'. We are Oxford United, not Manchester United and if a reasonable offer comes in for TG then i would fully expect the club to accept it.

That said, i've not heard of any serious interest in TG and don't expect to see him go up the pyramid this season.
That’s true, we are Oxford United but from what I’ve heard there’s been interest from higher up the pyramid, however I’d imagine we would want somewhere in the region of £1.5-£2m based on age and potential.

There’s been enquiries about him, that I know for a fact, whether that’s through the club or not is a different matter.

View attachment 14449

Agree wholeheartedly with this. I think we’ve got cover in every position and whilst we may not rate all of them as superb cover, I don’t think that’s a rationale expectation. Even the weaker links like Seddon and Wildschutt aren’t exactly junior players with no league experience.

If we bought a striker and started the season tomorrow I’d be more than fine with what is there to start us off. That’s not to say some Wiley dealing couldn’t make us stronger.

I will say that I actually rather like the idea of a slimmer squad. A little bit more cohesive, tightly knit, and a band of brothers readying themselves for battle

Back
Top Bottom