General Oxford United Squad 2023/24

I think Murphy is one of the more heated topics because for 3 quarters of his contract he has embodied everything wrong with the football side of our club over the past few years and there is a fear of making the same mistakes again.

Maybe Manning was unfair on him. But Robinson paraded him around like a trophy and had this supposedly golden relationship that yielded precisely nothing from him. So I’m afraid in the minds of many, this 2 month purple patch which Des deservedly gets credit for does little to convince us to factory reset an opinion formed over nearly 2 years of disappointment. It’s a start, however. All I ask is that the club act responsibly this summer as a huge opportunity to right the last of the wrongs is staring them in the face.
You're right that he's been a proxy for the pro/anti Robinson argument - which is unfair on him. He obvs had issues last season with either injury or maybe mental health, who knows, but he does seem to have a really good attitude now - just watch the way he plays. Having said that he'll probably run out and join someone else for more money now.

You're right that he's been a proxy for the pro/anti Robinson argument - which is unfair on him. He obvs had issues last season with either injury or maybe mental health, who knows, but he does seem to have a really good attitude now - just watch the way he plays. Having said that he'll probably run out and join someone else for more money now.
I think he’ll stay, Des too. And as I’ve said if we’re going to back Des then back him with his men otherwise what’s the point. But do it sensibly with balance. My reservations are how long Des will be in situ based on his performance to date and if he exits and we’re subsequently left with the Murphy of old, what then?

Would be interesting to know whether he has got interest from elsewhere and if not, why not? He’s quite demonstrably a level above in current form and available for free. You’d think championship clubs would be flocking to sign up this new version of him.

I think he’ll stay, Des too. And as I’ve said if we’re going to back Des then back him with his men otherwise what’s the point. But do it sensibly with balance. My reservations are how long Des will be in situ based on his performance to date and if he exits and we’re subsequently left with the Murphy of old, what then?

Would be interesting to know whether he has got interest from elsewhere and if not, why not? He’s quite demonstrably a level above in current form and available for free. You’d think championship clubs would be flocking to sign up this new version of him.
He flopped for Cardiff and Preston so maybe clubs in that league would be wary. Basically any time a manager leaves you're left with players that don't suit the new guy, eg Rodrigues. I hope that if Des stays beyond this season we're committed to him and feel there's a strong likelihood he'll do well - rather than half expect to sack him in October.

On Findlay. I watched Kilmarnock against Celtic a month or so ago just to see how Findlay was doing and without doubt he was one of the best players on the pitch that day. I know it's Scottish football but Celtic would be a top half championship/ bottom half prem team.
I was also impressed with Mayo who played RB but is also a CB and Donnelly who was superb in defensive midfield, hardly anything got passed him.

On Findlay. I watched Kilmarnock against Celtic a month or so ago just to see how Findlay was doing and without doubt he was one of the best players on the pitch that day. I know it's Scottish football but Celtic would be a top half championship/ bottom half prem team.
I was also impressed with Mayo who played RB but is also a CB and Donnelly who was superb in defensive midfield, hardly anything got passed him.

Yeah, something was plainly and weirdly wrong when Findlay started here.

Some of the passes he was missing were ones that most of us on here could make, and I refuse to accept that any professional footballer, even a non ball-playing centre back, was technically incapable.

Kilmarnock have beaten both Celtic and Rangers with Findlay in defence.

Yeah, something was plainly and weirdly wrong when Findlay started here.

Some of the passes he was missing were ones that most of us on here could make, and I refuse to accept that any professional footballer, even a non ball-playing centre back, was technically incapable.
I disagree when he returned to the 1st team we won more points. He was a reliable player fighting relegation and did the basics well .With out him we were relegated .

No. Brave to have Edwards, Browne and Murphy. All three are likely (on past evidence) to be missing for extended periods. If our way of playing is to get it to the wingers, then relying on unreliable players to fill those slots is just a bit daft.
Just how it was pointed out in pre-season a few times that relying on Browne and Murphy for an entire season was likely to go wrong. Then we doubled down and signed Edwards, just to add to our quota of 'great wingers when they're actually fit.'

It looks better at the moment because Murphy is doing really well and Browne is getting back on the pitch, but we've played 41 games in the league this season. That's 3,690 minutes.

Murphy has played 33.7% of those available minutes (1,247) and Browne has played 8.5% of those available minutes (315). Edwards has played 6% of available minutes (224).

So, if you add up the combined time that Murphy, Browne and Edwards have played at this stage of the season, then it's less than half the amount of minutes that one player could play.

Owen Dale has already played more minutes than Browne and Edwards combined.

It's fairly obvious what decisions we should be making in the summer.

Just how it was pointed out in pre-season a few times that relying on Browne and Murphy for an entire season was likely to go wrong. Then we doubled down and signed Edwards, just to add to our quota of 'great wingers when they're actually fit.'

It looks better at the moment because Murphy is doing really well and Browne is getting back on the pitch, but we've played 41 games in the league this season. That's 3,690 minutes.

Murphy has played 33.7% of those available minutes (1,247) and Browne has played 8.5% of those available minutes (315). Edwards has played 6% of available minutes (224).

So, if you add up the combined time that Murphy, Browne and Edwards have played at this stage of the season, then it's less than half the amount of minutes that one player could play.

Owen Dale has already played more minutes than Browne and Edwards combined.

It's fairly obvious what decisions we should be making in the summer.
Murphy has been fit most of the season I think, apart from a few games out recently. Browne I agree hasn't been available enough in the time he's been here - and god knows why we signed Edwards.

I disagree when he returned to the 1st team we won more points. He was a reliable player fighting relegation and did the basics well .With out him we were relegated .
He was a bit of a bomb scare on the ball it has to be said but I wonder how much of the good player he is was kicked out of him by chaotic football and mismanagement from Robinson.

I agree with you, he was integral in that defence at the end of the season, just not for his ball-playing exploits!

I always felt he had more to offer. He can’t knock it about endlessly with precision, that’s just not him. But with his confidence now restored, a proper full back on his side, ask him to defend first unconditionally and send it long when he feels like it and suddenly he might fit the new blueprint. He’s on the payroll either way, might as well explore it.

Mayo, Moore, Brown and Pijnaker are a base centrally to build from.
Forget Findlay, doesn’t want to be here and used numpty to get a lucrative move near home.

Back
Top Bottom