Home Match Build Up 18/4/2023 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And wasn't Brown rated the third best left back in the league or something?
Maybe I’m old fashioned but I do like to see fullbacks who can get forward and get crosses in. For me, being able to head a football, lump it down the line or pass it to a neighbouring centre back isn’t enough.

But then I’ve probably been spoilt by watching players like Langan in the past.

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I do like to see fullbacks who can get forward and get crosses in. For me, being able to head a football, lump it down the line or pass it to a neighbouring centre back isn’t enough.

But then I’ve probably been spoilt by watching players like Langan in the past.

Right now I'll take defenders who can defender, midfielders who can break up play and create chances, and attackers who can score or assist others to score.

Everything else is bonus stuff right now.

Right now I'll take defenders who can defender, midfielders who can break up play and create chances, and attackers who can score or assist others to score.

But that’s the point isn’t it? We’re not winning football matches. Something needs to change. Are we getting enough quality crosses into the box for people to get on the end of?

Maybe attacking wingbacks could do that? Maybe worth a try…

I get your point, Brown has done a Stirling job filling in as fullback. He’s one of our shining lights in a very dim season but, by his own admission, he’s not playing in his preferred position.

And whether Long is or isn’t a fullback, he’s certainly not setting the world on fire in that position.

Being solid but unspectacular isn’t proving to be enough.

Smith upfront? It must be an option unless he is brought on with half an hour left
I thought he was injured?

If he’s fit, he’s got to be an option, even if he has looked awful in the small cameo roles he’s had so far, it’s not like we’re in a position to be picky at the moment.

Ciaron Brown himself says he is a centre back and Sam Long player there as a youth player until he was converted to a right back when it was felt he hadn’t grown tall enough to be a centre back. All of Longs best performances in the last couple of years have come at centre back as well.

They are not proper full backs, they can do a job but to have had these two as full backs for virtually an entire season is one reason we are down where we are, neither of them offer enough coming forward and Long is particularly shaky at times defensively at right back, age and injuries have taken that position from him.

Yeah, it's working well at present.

But that’s the point isn’t it? We’re not winning football matches. Something needs to change. Are we getting enough quality crosses into the box for people to get on the end of?

Maybe attacking wingbacks could do that? Maybe worth a try…

I get your point, Brown has done a Stirling job filling in as fullback. He’s one of our shining lights in a very dim season but, by his own admission, he’s not playing in his preferred position.

And whether Long is or isn’t a fullback, he’s certainly not setting the world on fire in that position.

Being solid but unspectacular isn’t proving to be enough.
It's really not been either fullbacks fault though , Browne has had opportunities that you would expect with his ability a couple of goals at least would have happened, Murphy , Wildschut the same . They go in, we win , everyone is happy .
It's the attacking players that are not doing their job not the fullbacks .

It's really not been either fullbacks fault though , Browne has had opportunities that you would expect with his ability a couple of goals at least would have happened, Murphy , Wildschut the same . They go in, we win , everyone is happy .
It's the attacking players that are not doing their job not the fullbacks .
But if they’re failing what do we do? Continue with them, hoping that they’ll finally click or do we look at alternative formations?

It’s basically stick or twist now with just a handful of games to go. I don’t envy Mannings position. I don’t think he realised how poor a squad he’s got to work with.

Id like to see Smyth n Goodrham start v Pompey....our midfield was poor first half v sheff wed & v bolton and poor all game v port vale

A win has got to come under LM( hasnt it?) Why not v Pompey.... 3-1 home win ,all our goals in the 2nd half

Ciaron Brown himself says he is a centre back and Sam Long player there as a youth player until he was converted to a right back when it was felt he hadn’t grown tall enough to be a centre back. All of Longs best performances in the last couple of years have come at centre back as well.

They are not proper full backs, they can do a job but to have had these two as full backs for virtually an entire season is one reason we are down where we are, neither of them offer enough coming forward and Long is particularly shaky at times defensively at right back, age and injuries have taken that position from him.
We tried Anderson and Fleming as full backs and we could of lost about 9-0 we had to play brown left back cause there’s no one else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom