Home Match Build Up 18/4/2023 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is a must win.

Other games:

Accrington v Peterborough - I hope the Posh do not implode again, like they did against Cambridge Saturday.

Cambridge v Wycombe - Cambridge are on a real push and are on level points with us.

MK Dons v Charlton- don’t want that gap with MK to get any bigger.

Charlton beat Shrewsbury 6-0 a fortnight ago and then lose 6-0 at Ipswich so anything can happen.

MK are now unbeaten in seven games. Would expect Posh to bounce back at Accrington.

Mousinho disappointed with the draw at Shrews yesterday.

If we lose we could be second from bottom (if results go against us) 😡 we need 90 mins of the same intensity as we played the 2nd half against Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton.. start like we did against those two teams or play like we did against vale just won't be acceptable imo

I'm not sure that the intensity helped us, everything was rushed and panicky.

We desperately need composure and making the right decisions at the right time. Get over the ball and hit the target every time. Take an extra touch and set yourself before shooting and put your laces through it.

It's the sort of thing you coach at a very early age, but fear and lack of confidence means that everything is 100mph, shots are snatched at, players shoot when there are better options open to them, or pass out of fear of missing.

Despite what some suggest, the ability is there within this squad, but it desperately needs unlocking. It sounds impossible with everything we've seen these last few months, but an early goal, and a second to give a bit of breathing space and we'll see a very different Oxford United.

Must win game, now we've failed in 5 attempts after Manning started. IMO terrible start for him. No new manager bounce at all.

Must win game, now we've failed in 5 attempts after Manning started. IMO terrible start for him. No new manager bounce at all.
I think we've played much better at times and kept two clean sheets. Probably could've won a couple of those at the very least if we had a proper strike force available. I think Manning has done well with what he's been lumbered with and we did go unbeaten for 4 in that time. Only thing he got wrong so far was how we set up yesterday in the first quarter where we were sitting too deep leaving gaping holes up top.

We need to be aggressive in this game, forget trying to keep a clean sheet as that isn't going to keep us up.

I have to say I’m getting a little fed up with playing four centre backs. Yes it makes us more solid at the back but at the expense of everything else. As we also don’t seem to have any out and out wingers that are any good, we surely have to go with three at the back and wingbacks? Fleming one side and Anderson or Goodrham on the other.

My team would be
Eastwood
Anderson Moore Findlay brown Flemming
Brannagan maguane Browne
Joseph Smith

I have to say I’m getting a little fed up with playing four centre backs. Yes it makes us more solid at the back but at the expense of everything else. As we also don’t seem to have any out and out wingers that are any good, we surely have to go with three at the back and wingbacks? Fleming one side and Anderson or Goodrham on the other.
I think part of the issue is that we haven't had many options but to play four CBs. Anderson has been injured and Flemming hasn't exactly set the world alight when playing LB. Arguably Anderson in the team will give us more going forward than actually defending at right back (which may be what is needed). Ironically Brown has been one of our better players in recent weeks when playing left back.

I'd look to play a similar line up but with the midfield lining up higher and always looking to create and support the front three, who also need to be higher up and playing as a more cohesive unit rather than one on their own and two wider players. Old school attacking 4 3 3.

So;

Eastwood
Long Moore Findlay Brown
Brannagan McGuane Browne
Joseph Smith/GO'D Goodrham
The front three can all interchange across the front with Joseph and TS/GO'D being more central and doubling up, and Tyler dropping off, or any off them pulling wide to help create something.

It will leave us more vulnerable down the wings, but our defence have proved that they are solid if not spectacular and they should need to rely on a winger bailing them out every time.

I think at this stage it is just as much about the intent of motivations of those playing as it is about ability and we have to try something to help unlock these games before it's too late.

Maybe another option?

IMG_0328.jpeg

Gotta try something a bit different to unlock the door 🤷‍♂️

Four centre backs? Long has played at right back for 90% of his career. So how can he be a centre back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom