Home Match Day Thread 18/4/2023 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player Ratings:

(Attended the game, sat on the front row of the SSU, near the halfway line)

Eastwood: 7 - Didn’t have much to do but made some good catches and bowled it out well a few times as well. Don’t think he could have done anything for the goal

Brown: 6 - Didn’t do anything massively wrong but I felt he wasn’t quite as good as he usually is, but certainly not a bad performance by any means. Didn’t offer a huge amount going forwards, as ever

Findlay: 7 - I thought that was one of his better performances for us and a time where he outpperformed his centre back partner. Still not great on the ball but solid and combative.

Moore: 6 - I’m not fully convinced by him, he’ll never be a Nelson/Dickie/Atkinson/McNally, but he’s solid enough in L1/L2

Long: 5 - I’m surprised at the praise for him as I thought he was only ok. He looked shaky on the ball for me and low in confidence. He still worked hard and tried things

Brannagan: 6 - Worked hard, busy. Not all of his long passes came off.

McGuane: 6 - He certainly saw a lot of the ball, but as so often it was usually in a deep area which couldn’t hurt the opposition. I’d love to see him play in the AMC role that Browne has.

Browne: 7 - I thought he was decent; ran at people, got them booked, should have had more protection from the referee if anything. Awful shooting though and needs to learn to pass better/quicker. I was impressed by his workrate and pressing though, he really seems to have bought in to the new regime, long may it continue

Joseph: 7 - Not everything he tried came off but his work rate was exceptional and he harried and closed down with aplomb

O’Donkor: 6 - It’s a hard one to score as he did so much right, held the ball up well, ran at them, won free kicks and got players booked, but missing those gilt-edged chances drops him down for me. Very promising still, but should have come off earlier when he was clearly shot. Subbed on the 83rd minute when the 70th would have been far more suitable.

Goodrham: 6 - Barely touched the ball in the first 15 mins or so but grew into the game and still seemed fresh and sharp when he came off. Likeable character and good with the ball at his feet

Subs:

Wildschut: 4 - I don’t understand why Manning keeps bringing him on as a left winger. He isn’t a winger. He has no pace, no agility and can’t dribble. I’d be happy to see him as a central striker as he is strong and can hold the ball up and play a pass, but he noticeably weakened the team when he came on and we looked less threatening down that side than before

Bodin: 5 - Had some nice touches and got into some good positions but his shooting was poor.

Anderson: 7 - Didn’t have much time but absolutely terrified their left back when he ran at them and put a couple of decent balls in.
Moore 6?! Where did you say you were sitting?

Portsmouth were good in possession without doing a lot with it I thought. Anyway despite what people say they have had a much better season than we have.

Sadly I can see Accrington getting something at Portsmouth. And it's quite funny how our fans were going on about Mous when he got the job and You can see him not lasting there much past the start of next season after the chairman's comments last night and there fans they don't rate him at all.

I know a couple of Pompey supporters and they reckon he's doing a decent job recovering from the Cowleys.

Admittedly on paper but no team has three cushier last three games than us - Cambridge included. We could barely have hand picked three better with the easiest team - again on paper - being our only one away. If we go down from here it's our own fault. Maybe swapping Cheltenham for, say, Morecambe - and we are hardly talking a massive difference - would be the only way those three could be any better.
I seem to remember us struggling at home against FGR so that away game could be tricky

Moore 6?! Where did you say you were sitting?

Again, won every header and was the base of the defensive unit looking to redistribute play. If we're judging his performance against the very best of Rob Dickie or Rob Atkinson then you're always going to be disappointed. However, if we're looking at his performance relevant to this seasons defensive displays then it was pretty decent.

He (and Long) were also constantly talking to players and encouraging them all. Moore has looked much more the captain we need since Shorty backed him and gave him back the armband.

I seem to remember us struggling at home against FGR so that away game could be tricky
Agreed , they have nothing to play for bar pride so they could relax and play without pressure , while we are tense and lacking confidence

Sadly I can see Accrington getting something at Portsmouth. And it's quite funny how our fans were going on about Mous when he got the job and You can see him not lasting there much past the start of next season after the chairman's comments last night and there fans they don't rate him at all.
Really well I’ll go for 3-0 to pompey

No, I heard Smith had an argument with Manning about us drawing all the time, and Manning couldn’t palettte this and told Smith he needed to brush up on his finishing/touches etc, so basically we’re back to the drawing board.

I was told this by someone apparently ITK, so this account might be a bit sketchy in places. Whatever has happened though doesn’t paint a good picture for Smith getting any game time anytime soon.
He’s right, we’re drawing too many, but he’s not been good enough to come on and score a hatful has he?

Back
Top Bottom