Home Match Day Thread 12/08/2023 L1: OUFC v Carlisle

Who’s it MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I get what you're saying but isn't that what was happening anyway Beadle would get the ball and kick it long and we'd lose it surely it would be better to just play out from the back ... against better team that is going to bite us on the a**e imo
When Carlisle figured out how to play us, we had to hoof it longer, but I'd still wager that Beadle made more passes to feet when being pressed today than Easty did all of last season.

When Carlisle figured out how to play us, we had to hoof it longer, but I'd still wager that Beadle made more passes to feet when being pressed today than Easty did all of last season.
Yea but that's like chalk and cheese lol it's not Eastwood's game to play that way that's why we got Beadle I don't mind him playing it short but having a CB pass to him from a goal kick is just not something I see the point in I guess it's just a matter of different opinions

Very wasteful at times and in dire need of a recognised striker but we grided out an important win and manged the game well. Some great individual performances although some mediocre ones too. Harris took his goal well and was always a danger especially in the second half but should've done better with that first chance. Negru and Moore were solid and I thought Browne was a constant threat. Just hope he didn't come off injured as he did seemingly take a knock prior to coming off. Mills did well and GOD was incredibly lively and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him this season.

Yea but that's like chalk and cheese lol it's not Eastwood's game to play that way that's why we got Beadle I don't mind him playing it short but having a CB pass to him from a goal kick is just not something I see the point in I guess it's just a matter of different opinions
I think it's simply because if the opposition defend it well, you'd rather have your keeper make the clearance.

It creates a quick mismatch and gives us a more realistic opportunity of getting possession higher up the pitch. The alternative is 50/50 hoof ball, where not only are we less likely to keep possession, but it makes it more likely for us to be drawn out of position.
On the other hand it risks an offside by our forwards which is impossible straight from a regular goal kick

Well that could and should of been a much more of a comfortable win if a couple of players pulled the trigger rather than trying to walk the ball in the net. I voted Harris for mom , not only did he score he was giving the Carlisle's centre backs a right hard time. Negru was class and looked like him and Moore work better than what I've seen of Thorniley and Moore combination.

Still it's 3 points, Reading Lost, Wycombe lost, Cheltenham lost and Scum threw away a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2. Can't get much better than that🤣

My random thoughts on the game (apologies if this has already all been said:

I know Negru is only 21 and has played all of four professional games in his life - but I think he might just be our best defender already. Big, strong and seems to just naturally understand defensive positioning. I think McNally got into the side because of an injury and then never gave up his place - could see Negru doing the same.

Beadle's distribution is outstanding. One of his drilled balls forward in the first half was something Messi would have been proud of. We'll get a better idea about how the rest of his keeping is (and whether the Cambridge error was an aberration) when we play someone more dangerous than Carlisle.

I'm in the "We should loan out GOD" camp, but I can see the logic for keeping him solely to come on at 90 minutes and kill games we're winning!

Marcus Browne is big, strong, quick, athletic, constantly causes opposition defenses problems......and I'm not sure that I would have him in our starting XI. Constantly found his way into dangerous positions, and never once made the right decision and/or executed the final ball. And it's a recurring issue. Goodrham may not have his physical skills, but he offers more end product.

Mark Harris is quick and his movement is great, but for 75 minutes he looked like a deer in headlights every time he got the ball. Honestly don't know if the finish for his goal was genius or he shanked it and got lucky......but either way hopefully it gives him some confidence, because that looks to be what he's lacking.

Overall, Carlisle were very poor and I would almost guarantee that they'll finish the season in the bottom third of the table. We did just enough to win a crucial three points, and to be fair never really looked trouble. But if we have any aspirations of being involved in the playoff discussion, we've got to get masively better in the final third.
Very true about Marcus B ... no end product.

Not much more to add than what has already been said really. Nobody really had a bad game - Sam Long was a bit shaky in the first half but improved after the break - but we just need to play with more intensity and tempo. And belief! Both players and supporters. As others have said, there’s definitely a bit of a hangover from last season. The supporters need to start believing and the players need to relax a bit. But there were flashes of what we could see if everything starts to click.

Looking back on it now I realise I enjoyed it more than I realised during the game - if that makes sense.

It’s good to have football back and this is the first tentative steps of a new era. I think people just need to have a bit more patience and trust in the process.

Weird seeing the negativity on here.

OK, so we were utter shite for the first 20 minutes, but we took over after that. Second half we were toying with them at times. (When we should have been putting the ball in the net!)

Did Beadle even touch the ball with his hands?

Off the back of the last two games I'll take that performance all day long.
It’s interesting reading the comments here after seeing the game, my first of the season apart from QPR. We weren’t great and poor Sam had a mare first half but there was a lot of promise. Bodin could have had half a dozen assists and Negru is a player. Harris looks so tentative, like he’s playing with the big boys for the first time! But he gave them stuff to think about.

Obviously last season was a series of epic disasters but in the previous three home games were generally very exciting with lots of goals. We aren’t used to unremarkable 1-0 wins at home.

What a relief.
1st half was still poor but 2nd half was much better. Could, and should, have scored more.

Bodin and Browne should be squad players at best. They are just not good enough to start. If we got rid of them and wildschut and Murphy that must be the best part of £20k a week.

Negru had a very solid game. Great for his confidence.

Well that took some effort but we got there. Bit more confidence Infront of goal and we may go places. Still not convinced by the short goal kicks though.

Carlisle I fear will be relegation fodder. Very poor side.

Back
Top Bottom